AI upgrading old units to new ones

peter450

Prince
I played a game online recently that showed up a marked disparity in the way the AI upgrades old obsolete units to new ones

There were several civ's but the most powerful, (in order) were

The french (De Gaulle)
Zulu's
Arabs
Ottomans
Greeks (Alexander)

Now the french were generally the mostg advanced yet there army comprised a lot od very old units Musketman, Maceman, even a swordsman!, when they could have had, Marines and Infantry

Greeks have had infantry a while yet there are still quite a few rifles and grenadiers about

Saladin on the other hand, had infantry later than either greeks or french but has wasted no time in getting all his units, bang up to date

Zulu's and even the aztecs who got infantry well later than the french and had smaller cities and worse infrastructure (loads of workshops) got most of there army properly upgraded

I would say the french had over half there units, as musketman, maceman, rifleman etc, as a result me and my buddy decided a joint attack which went down a treat, they were not hard to overcome at all, and one the first infantry unit in each city went down it was easy street to take out the muskets, etc

Do the civs have differant upgrade priorities with some focusing more on keeping there units up to date than others? because on this experiance de Gaulle seems a right pushover

Version 3.19, Noble difficutly, standard AI, Archippolo map, not BBAI, but i don't think BBAI differs from standard in terms of the way it upgrades old units right?

What gives here, anyone know how the AI works out what to upgrade and is it differant for each civ?

Top Bottom