AI using only first tier governments?

TheBlueKing

Chieftain
Hi,

Has anyone noticed that AI sometimes gets stuck using first tier governments like Oligarchy, Classical Republic or Autocracy?

AI does not switch to second tier governments like Merchant Republic.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems like a bug.

Huh, I don't know how I missed this in my games.

I just checked my current game, 4 AIs are in a T1 government, 2 are in a T2 government and 1 is in a T3 government. The current game era is the Industrial Era, I'm playing on Deity, and even the AI that is most behind (currently sitting on one city due to me being about to exterminate him) is in the early Renaissance Era with his most advanced civic discovery - the column that includes Merchant Republic and Theocracy. He could've rushed a civic there, but for everyone else it should be trivial to pick up a T2 government civic.

And that's with me playing with the Real Strategy AI mod, which performs better than the base game. @Infixo are you aware of this problem (which I assume stems from the base game)?

Last edited:
It's been like this as long as I've played (last two years-ish). Eventually they sometimes switch but it takes a long time. Even when I'm notably behind in culture I almost always end up getting the era score for having the first T2 government in the world.

They're evil divine right absolutists. That's why we shouldn't feel bad when we crush them...you know to bring in freedom and democracy...under our unending, immortal rule...and stuff.

Just unapologetically bring them fascism instead, gives you more combat strength, making it easier to spread.

Just unapologetically bring them fascism instead, gives you more combat strength, making it easier to spread.

I can't help but find it funny when I imagine this out of context-

"Civ Fanatics user advocates for fascism"

Only in Civ :lol:

I can't help but find it funny when I imagine this out of context-

"Civ Fanatics user advocates for fascism"

Only in Civ :lol:

I will admit I picked this wording on purpose.

They're evil divine right absolutists. That's why we shouldn't feel bad when we crush them...you know to bring in freedom and democracy...under our unending, immortal rule...and stuff.
or at least make condemn heretic in all their missionary and apostle units that are trying to convert the cities so that way you convert their cities instead.

Ya I have noticed this as well. There is probably some weighting factor somewhere in the XML that has a typo

The reason is: 2 out of 3 tier 2 governments are dead end civics (exploration and reformed church) which the AI tends to avoid due to the way its coded. I'm working on a mod for myself, and one of changes is to make these civics prerequisites for civics of next eras, so that the AI takes these governments.

Top Bottom