AI Victories By What Victory Type?

jtravers88

Chieftain
I've won a few times on Emperor and just finished a game with a Diplomatic win on Immortal. In the Immortal victory there were no attempts by any AI civ to broker more votes than there normal allocations with 1 or 2 cs (no greece or austria in game tho).

Looking back at previous games on Emperor, I don't remember a game where an AI Civ would have won by any strategy other than a Science victory.

I realize most players probably don't complete games where they are obviously losing but can anyone describe a game or games where an AI civ would (or did) win by Domination, Culture or Diplomatic means?

I'm thinking about playing a game where I just shore up 1 or 2 cities, defend them, and wait to see what the winning ai civ uses as a winning strategy. Science yes. Cultural? maybe...

That's a long winded way of asking, 'does the ai ever win by any method other than science?'

I'm pretty sure I had an AI Korea win a cultural victory early in my BNW experience. Pre-BNW I think cultural victories by the AI were more common since they were more simple, and you could do less to defend against it. The AI pretty much never wins domination, really shouldn't win diplomatic if you're smart about it, and you should be able to win before the time is up.

Basically, science is the most viable win condition for the AI at the moment, because it's the one you can do the least about. To win science the AI just has to lead in tech and be somewhat smart at getting to this condition, which they are sometimes. To win cultural, they have to have a super lead in tourism, which isn't easy for the AI to get, and to win in any other condition, the player has to really mess up.

Well I'm not really referring to ai victories based on player ability. I'm just referring to the ai in general. I've never seen an ai civ moving across the map planning a domination victory, or buying up all the city states to control the congress.

I just think the ai is more responsive than it is pro-active, which ultimately just leads to a science victory by accident.

Not enough smarts in the ai. But then again I haven't played alot of games with BNW. That is why I'm asking. If I turn off the Science victory, will I see an ai civ trying for 40 votes? Or an ai civ plan a march across the map to grab all the capitals? Or win a cultural victory by accident?

By far the most popular victory for the AI to pursue is Cultural Victory; but only a few of those have high enough cultural flavors to even slow down a human pursuing it.

Siam and Greece really like to go after Diplomatic victory. (Unlike a human, they try to be game long allies with most of the city states instead of just having a few for most of the game and waiting for late game)

And the AIs most likely to go after a Domination victory are the ones that far very far behind in techs even compared to the other AIs.

There's a few AIs with flavors towards a Science victory, but it doesn't include choosing the right techs for one; so they would stumble across it.

If an AI were to make a successful push for a domination victory you wouldn't get to see it. I suspect that a Mongolia that can wipe out the player early is in a very good position to keep on trucking.

AIs can't win domination for mechanical reasons (the player has to be dead for it to happen).

I've seen AIs win both culture and diplomatic, and actively try for diplo, on both Emperor and Immortal. Indeed I was racing against other civs to complete the spaceship and delay a diplo victory that Siam and Rome risked winning (Siam actively stole a CS that would have won me the critical votes at the last minute), and evidently not paying enough attention to the culture tab, in one recent Immortal game, only to get the defeat notification because Ramesses had won cultural victory (if he hadn't, Rome would have won diplomatic when the vote came up the following turn, having actively grabbed both surviving city-states).

Well I'm not really referring to ai victories based on player ability. I'm just referring to the ai in general. I've never seen an ai civ moving across the map planning a domination victory, or buying up all the city states to control the congress.

I very regularly see the latter. I have very occasionally seen the former - most recently in a game with Shaka, who systematically eliminated the Koreans and Portuguese and was happy to go to war with Russia at my urging (though he did not, in the event, take Moscow. He did however move south and briefly take Copenhagen).

By far the most popular victory for the AI to pursue is Cultural Victory; but only a few of those have high enough cultural flavors to even slow down a human pursuing it.

Siam and Greece really like to go after Diplomatic victory. (Unlike a human, they try to be game long allies with most of the city states instead of just having a few for most of the game and waiting for late game)

And the AIs most likely to go after a Domination victory are the ones that far very far behind in techs even compared to the other AIs.

There's a few AIs with flavors towards a Science victory, but it doesn't include choosing the right techs for one; so they would stumble across it.

Alex once beat me to Diplo victory on Deity. I was few turns away from science victory, and he got votes for his Diplo victory. :( He was allied with most CS from the start of the game and by the end he had around 300-400 points per CS. :p

Siam once got me by cultural victory (by accident). He picked Autocracy, wiped out half of the civs, while I wiped out second half. When last AI was left, he asked to join up, so we did. Then that policy from Autocracy that gives more tourism when fighting common enemy kick in. :( He had insane tourism tho, had bunch of cities, picked two faith buildings in his religion and picked Sacred sites (4 free tour per city, x20+ cities, plus all most of the wonders since he went superspam along with cities he conquered, and he had hotels\internet) :(

I tend to see the AI win Science, usually in come from behind games where I'm rusty after months of not playing and my first game back, I get hit with a loss to the AI on science.

I've seen some AI cultural victories in BNW (only 2 pre-BNW, AI was really bad on completing the policy trees), so the cultural one is imo second most popular. But You need to play immortal for the AI to even get a chance on doing so (although they are common among cultural AI's on deity).
Not seen diplo or military in BNW, but there was one G&K patch where the AI was insanely good in spending money and diplo win was basically the only one it went for.
For the militaristic victory - I think they aren't seen as the AI going for it would have to eliminate the human last, if it eliminates the human before that the game (which would probably end in military conquest) ends.

Top Bottom