AI Victory Conditions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by HoboCop, Jan 3, 2017.

1. HoboCop

HoboCop Chieftain

Wondering what people have seen when the computer wins, if anyone sees that, and what difficulty? I can honestly say that every time I've lost the game on any difficulty it's been to a culture win. I usually play king, have tried emperor a few times.

Has anyone even seen the AI attempt a domination victory? I can only even recall a couple of times one civ managed to take a capital of another. I've seen a lot of religious unit spam, big piles of apostles that wander around and don't do anything... doesn't look like they are trying to win to me.

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The AIs doing the most conquering generally have the Grand Strategy Domination Victory on even if they are failing to take capitals. But, I'm not sure that the grand strategy actually increases the targeting of capitals beyond what they'd naturally have from generally having somewhat better terrain, more population, etc than other cities in the empire.

But domination victory by an AI is rare on all previous titles as well. This is in part because the moment the human suffers a conquest defeat the game ends immediately.

3. FurballRocker

FurballRocker Chieftain

Not seen the AI win yet, even up to diety level but i have had to work hard to counter the AI being very close religious victories.
    Had a couple of instances where they seemed on track for a culture victory also but they seem to get 50% of the way there quite quickly and then their culture growth really drops off so multiple times i have spotted a civ going culture and from basically nothing i have overtaken them and beaten them by quite a margin.

4. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Have only seen AI victories on king, emperor, and deity. Haven't played immortal. Culture seems to be the most prominent AI victory condition in my games. No seen military or religious AI victories at all. Have only seen AI science victories at deity. Typical win times are low to mid 300's. Fastest I've seen was a ~270 culture victory by China on emperor!

5. Cerryl

Cerryl Warlord

I took a city that had the dominant religion and lost right away. It doesn't tell you who won and why, only that you lost.

6. bladex

bladex Emperor

they usually only go for religious or culture vics. i don't think i have ever seen them build a spaceship :p

7. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Got to add two deity AI wins to their tally. Engerland had a hand in both. First one they caught me napping. Settled just out of sight of my cap and brought 4 warriors. I was caught with my warrior scouting and had to build a slinger. Didn't make it in time.

Second one was dual DOW with Scythia. Beat England back. Refused first two peace offerings from Scythia figuring she wasn't committed to a third wave. Got that wrong. Beat back the third wave, but she had a fourth and England and two city states helped her cap me. If I stayed committed to military I could have beaten them back. Coulda shoulda woulda.

8. Zuizgond

Zuizgond King

They don't know how to build air units, how would they be able to build a spaceship? :D

9. CoccoBill

CoccoBill Chieftain

I've seen one religion win and 2 culture wins by the AI, both on deity. I've also had a few close calls, with both cases. AI domination victory, at least in my experience, is not gonna happen, I've yet to see the AI grab a single capital in any of my games, which is frankly pathetic. The same goes pretty much for scientific victory, the AI gets to the 3rd step quite often, which has prompted me to start a rocketry disruption campaign, but even when I've failed to do that I've never seen a spaceship. It seems like they always stop short of actually finishing them for some reason.

Overall, my biggest gripe with the AI is warfare. Pretty much any game, any difficulty, if you manage to survive until having ancient walls up, enemy attacks won't be a problem, and that's a damn shame. Pls make the AI more competitive Firaxis, ktnx.

No-Man likes this.
  10. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Scythia just pulled out a 297 deity culture win. I had nothing to offer, tried peaceful but got limited to 4 cities due to space. Good expansion from the AI on small map as every plot of ground was covered.

International trade routes (I was Russia and far behind) were +8 culture/science at times. Odd being the poor man on the map as the AI trade deals were very favorable at times.

11. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

I've lost a domination victory twice. Once by Scythia, once by Japan. Both before turn 50. Just got rushed by them. Started only 8 hexes from each other. Have seen a few culture and religious victories for the AI, but they are usually infrequent at best. Twice lost a religious victory after conquering another city, but have won both culture and religious when conquering a city.

12. Captain Queeg

Captain Queeg Chieftain

At Immortal-standard-continents I've seen AI get close only twice, both with Science vc.

AI seems *never* to go for a domination victory. Maybe the developers are trying too hard to avoid the "runaway civ on another continent" problem seen in Civ 5, but AI in Civ 6 seems abnormally passive to me. Now I'm often seeing many "weakling" AI civs lasting til the late game (no military, way behind even the other AI civs in tech). A recent game had me encountering AI Gilgamesh late game with him having only 4 cities - why aren't civs built for domination optimized for that vc?