1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI War Hungry? All of them?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SpartanPete, Nov 6, 2007.

1. SpartanPete

SpartanPete Chieftain

I am getting back into Civ after a good year (at least) out of the game.
    So I brought BTS, and I am loving the game again, although I have alot to learn.

Anyway I seem to find the AI are really untrusting , back stabing and all seem to love war. Good politics no longer seem to come into it, AI goes from a pleased status to a annoyed status without any intervention from yourself?

For example last two games i played (be it very badly) I have been at war with the likes of Sitting Bull for most the game, and then within the space of 10 turns everyone else is fighting me? Even best friends, it seems ridiculous? Is this becuase i am weak and a dying civ, so AIs all want a piece of me? Playing on noble and struggling still!

2. FLUKE

FLUKE Chieftain

I love playing Civ 4 but I have to agree that AI civs are far too quick to declare but the worst thing is that they will wage war for a hundred turns or more which makes me war weary never mind my population! :p

It just seems to go on and on and on.............

3. LemonJello

LemonJello Warlord

The AI does have a tendency now to "pile on" if they smell electronic blood in the waters. They'll declare war more often, even when the odds aren't in their favor.

4. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Having a big army is a good way to keep the AI off your problems :)

5. SpartanPete

SpartanPete Chieftain

Yeah i guessed they smell a weakling, but where are the honest or fair AIs? Are they all like this now, takes a little of the companionship out of the game. I have also no noticed the ability to team up or side with them etc. Does this come later on then?

Also Their attacks are not instant, yesterday 2 declared war on same turn and then with 2 turns stacks of 10 units or more each civ started marching through my land.

Just all feels a little too extreme for me.

6. Tirse

Tirse Chieftain

Yeah, they are unpredictable - no "friendly" status, no shared religion, no ongoing trade agreements can make one truly safe. The only way to keep them off your back is having a huge army, and even then some AI's are borderline suicidal (religion freaks seem to be the worst kind).

This said, some of them are way more unpredictable than others (Catherine comes to mind).

The best way to end war quickly is to capture some enemy city, its usually possible to get peace afterwards. Seriously pillaging the countryside guarantees they'll have something to do in coming turns (other than backstabbing the player). Again, some suicidal ones will not give peace no matter how battered they are. Sometimes they'll even agree to become someone's vassal to make him/her join the war, this way even pleased/friendly AI's may be turned against you.

7. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

I can be wrong, but I don't think so. Friendly status does indeed prevent you from DoW. Even lots of times pleased status. But you have to consider these two additionnal factors:
    - an AI who decide to go to war check the diplomatic status at that moment, and not later. So if you are plased to an AI, that AI can decide to go to war with you, some times passes during which the diplo status goes to friendly, and then the DoW itself, which was done at friendly. But the decision was done before the friendly status. I don't think this situation happens often.
    - any AI can be bribed to go to war by other AIs. And one leader will even go to war with her friends if paid enough: Catherine. So if we ignore the first situation (decision of war before friendly status), she's the only leader we can't really trust, because she will go to war with us if she's paid enough even at friendly !

8. Silver Marmot

Silver Marmot Warlord

I think it's great that the AI is finally playing to win (which involves preventing you from winning first, in many cases). Before BtS it seemed like I could keep a lone warrior in each of my cities for defense for the duration of the game and win the space race. Now, if most of the AIs see that you're weak, they'll attack you.

9. SpartanPete

SpartanPete Chieftain

Well my current game is so far going alot better.

While i have had war vs Rome and china had beef with me aswell for some reason the rest have constantly tested me, poked me and threatened me, but as of yet not gone to war with me. I noticed they all seemed to have alot more courage and nerve in diplomay when i went to war, but as i say so far have not overstepped the mark.

This may be as my army is alot stronger and better tech'd up than previous games. I am no way ahead of them, but on a par and seem to be brushing of the AIs attachs with ease at the moment. I guess its a tipping point, I play with scores hidden, so i suspect if i start falling under the growth line so to speak and becoming vunerable then I may be in danger.

Time will tell,

(God I love this game)

10. LemonJello

LemonJello Warlord

I was neglecting my military in my first few games of BtS, and wound up on the recieving end of an AI dogpile for my troubles. Now, I keep a couple stacks ready to react/defend/blunt an attack. Then I can turn over to military production and go on the offensive.

11. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Prince

Some of the AIs do "play fair". Each leader has a % chance of delcaring war at a particular attitude. This is always 0% at friendly (but read the comments above for the two exceptions to this rule) and for many AIs is also 0% at pleased. Even when it's not 0%, there needs to be something that triggers the attack - either you're weak, you're too close or you refused tribute. If they consider those factors and decide to declare war, that's when the % comes in - there's a chance they'll decide they like you too much to declare war. Note that "because you're weak" means different things to different leaders. Some of them are psychopaths who will happily attack people who are stronger than them - for example, you need to be quite a lot stronger than Montezuma before he stops seeing you as an easy target.

Also, there's a "dogpile factor", which is what you're coming up against. If you're already been attacked by another civ, other leaders will smell blood and join if the fray if you seem weak. Again, there's a % chance of them doing this, and for many leaders it is 0%.

Off the top of my head, Elizabeth is mostly nice but has a 75% dogpile chance, while her compatriot Victoria never dogpiles but has a 20% chance to attack someone with whom she is pleased.

It's pretty predictable who the trustworthy leaders are. Gandhi, Frederick, the Egyptians, etc...

12. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

My question is; do you allways treat your neighbours as you regard them? :))

13. rabidveggie

rabidveggie King

I think they're getting revenge on me for Warlords. I've been dog piled every game now and as a result I can't make ground for domination since a stack shows up per turn, I can't space race since I have to build troops. Stupid Pericles won my last match culturally while 4 civs were dog piling me.