AI way too picky of advanced deals now

Zanteogo

King
Anyone else find the AI way to often has "impossible" deals now? You really notice it when you try to make deals for votes. Even votes that clearly helps them, almost always impossible. Votes that they are neutral to them should have some price...

Also notice the DOF option for the player is pretty much pointless now. The AI will almost always refuse I can't recall in the last 20 games the AI ever agreeing. Even if your friendship just expired, you ask the AI, they will refuse, but ask you for friendship as soon as their turn starts. You have to wait until they decide to come to you and ask.

Overall I would like to see less "impossible" deals. I get it's required to some degree, but right now deals are pretty limited to what they could be.

I am with you. I don’t mind a deal being crazy expensive, but impossible? It does make deal making frustrating at times.

DoF has always functioned like this unfortunately. You will never be successful in asking the AI for a DoF because once the value has been met for them to be willing to accept your friendship, they will be the ones to come asking. If they haven't asked you yet, it's because you're not at that value yet and will be turned down. Something I believe @HeathcliffWarriors has looked into trying to address.

As far as impossible deals go, I believe some of it's there to prevent abusing trade with AI concerning strategics and votes, but some things have just outright borked in the crossfire from trying to contain or balance this. I agree that some deals need more leniency.

Also notice the DOF option for the player is pretty much pointless now. The AI will almost always refuse I can't recall in the last 20 games the AI ever agreeing. Even if your friendship just expired, you ask the AI, they will refuse, but ask you for friendship as soon as their turn starts. You have to wait until they decide to come to you and ask.
I think the AI will always offer friendship if they are willing to accept, so there is no need to ask them. I find this feature quite convenient.

I think the AI will always offer friendship if they are willing to accept, so there is no need to ask them. I find this feature quite convenient.
Sometimes I have to strategically decline a DoF based on geopolitical status even though I'd prefer to befriend, or would like to befriend in the near future, but just maybe not right at that moment.

@HeathcliffWarriors , are there diplo ramifications with AI if you decline a DoF offer? Are there any penalties, and if so, are they permanent? Will they not bother to ever ask again the entire game, or maybe just 50 turns? Thanks for any insight.

And on the other hand they would still happily accept 100 coal for 50GPT even though they could never use them all.

@HeathcliffWarriors , are there diplo ramifications with AI if you decline a DoF offer? Are there any penalties, and if so, are they permanent? Will they not bother to ever ask again the entire game, or maybe just 50 turns? Thanks for any insight.

There are no diplomatic repercussions from declining a DoF, although there is a cooldown before they will ask again, to prevent spam.

The AI updates its DoF willingness every turn in the DoRelationshipPairing function, which means it can be willing to accept one turn and not willing to accept on the next.

It's worth noting that the AI's weight for DoFs is reduced for every existing DoF it has, so if you pass up the opportunity and they befriend someone else, the option may not be available to you.

Edit: The cooldown between DoF requests from the AI is 60 turns.

Last edited:
Edit: The cooldown between DoF requests from the AI is 60 turns.

Is there a way to adjust those cooldowns based on era? Early on, I don't mind the long turns...I think its both fitting in game but also thematically, everything moves slowly.

By end game, 60 turns might as well be never. I don't mind even a 10 turn cooldown at that point, as the late game politics may be your one last chance to shake up the game and push for a win.

Is there a way to adjust those cooldowns based on era? Early on, I don't mind the long turns...I think its both fitting in game but also thematically, everything moves slowly.

By end game, 60 turns might as well be never. I don't mind even a 10 turn cooldown at that point, as the late game politics may be your one last chance to shake up the game and push for a win.

It is possible to do that, yes.

Top Bottom