AI won't let me trade something I own

YNCS

Ex-bubblehead
I captured a barbarian city a long distance from my homeland. I don't want it. I'd like to trade it (or even give it away) to the Germans, but when I get to the trade screen that city is redlined. It's quite annoying that I can't override the AI to trade something that I own.

You should NOT be able to overridde the AI... The reason it is red is that the other civ does not want it. Even for free, he is not interested. Just like if an AI offered you a crap city miles away for anything, you would say no... They are saying no. The red marking simply saves you the aggravation of having to make many offers to find out that the answer will always be no.

They really should bring back being able to disband a city by building a settler when the city was size 1. You could just starve the city and then disband it.

Well, building a settler wouldn't work, given the way settlers work now, but there should probably be a "disband" button in the city screen (with a couple more confirmation screens -- you don't ever want to accidentally disband your capitol). Adds two unhappiness in every city for every population point. So, you could starve a size 5 city and just get two unhappiness after a while, or disband it at the moment and get 10 unhappiness in every city, which would fade over time, say 1 unhappiness every three turns.

I miss the disband option, too, but the whole idea is to make you consider city placement more carefully. The problem arises when you conquer a city, like YNCS did. You should be able to examine the city before you are forced to choose whether to keep or raze it.

You might be able to trade it to the civ closest to it, if it's worth anything they might be willing to take it as a gift. A distant civ won't want it any more than you do.

Top Bottom