1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI wont trade per turn

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by King Hannibal, May 19, 2007.

1. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

I have a problem doesnt matter what level i play at i can never trade anything for gold per turn. Example: i have 3 types of luxuries i offer them all they have none and they offer 10 gold as a lump sum nothing else they wont do evan 1 gold per turn. No matter what i offer as soon as i ask for 1 gold per turn the advisor says "they would never agree to this". is it just me or is it a bug? im using vanilla 1.29f i will put up a save later. Any way around this would be great. Also they are down to a handful of cities. Evan if i offer them 1000gold for 1 gold they refuse.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/115081/German_Domination.SAV
    Thanks

2. Zibong

Zibong Chieftain

I haven't looked at your save, but I have two guesses:

1) If they can't afford it, they won't pay it. Either their economy is too small or they have other gpt commitments elsewhere.

2) If they don't get enough happy faces from it, they won't want it. If they only have a few towns and no other luxuries, it may not be worth even 1 gpt for them.

3. retro V

retro V Prince

For #2 there, the trade advisor would reflect the AIs mood as "I doubt they will accept...", or "They will be insulted by...". If it says "They would never accept...", then it always means they haven't got a surplus economy on that particular turn, as in #1 above.

4. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I haven't looked at the save, but if your rep is broken, this is what happens. ;)

5. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

I have looked at your save and I'm a little confused. I started by gifting the AI some gold and some gpt. I then looked at possible trades.

Note that all of them would give you gpt for a tech if they had it spare but they haven't. This is not that unusual at Regent level-especially as you are so powerful.

The French: Your rep is well and truly busted. I tried to sell them resources which (with my gifts) they would pay gpt for but not straight gold. The same happened with the world map.

However I just did a little more testing and the situation became less clear.

Spoiler trade details that you may not want to know! :
    The Indians: They will give a lump sum for your spices (48g). If I had tested this then I would have concluded that your rep wasn't broken. The price they offer is much less than I could get for gpt (13)

The Japanese: They are running a massive deficit budget so it took a fair bit of gifting to determine what is happening here. Also the lack of a trade route restricts the type of tests that I can make. I could buy their WM for 42g but if I offered just gpt, I had to increase my offer to a massive 12gpt. A similar thing happened with the Indians when I went back to them.

France would sell their WM for a similar sum but would not accept even 180gpt when I lowered your research to give you a massive gpt surplace.
    I've not seen this type of thing before. You may not want trade details, (hence the use of a spoiler above) but the upshot is that if they have the funds the other two civs will trade with you but they don't trust you that much because the gpt deals are much less favourable than the 18gold=1gpt conversion that I work to.

I don't make a habit of breaking my rep but when I have I always faced the France scenario of no trust, no matter how much you offer. Maybe this is because it's vanilla aand not conquests or maybe I don't understand the rep situation as well as I thought did 24 hours ago. Maybe someone else can help me out here!

In summary they don't offer you gpt as they haven't got it. Also your rep is somewhat tarnished but you can trade gpt with two of them but at a poor rate of return.

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Doesn't matter how trashed your reputation is, the AI will still pay you gpt if it can afford it. They simply won't accept your gpt if you try to pay with it.

7. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

Ok thanks that helps a bit.