AI World Congress Proposals

Alzadar

Warlord
Has anyone seen anything resembling intelligence in the AI's World Congress proposals? They seem very random.

For example in my current Immortal game all of the AIs hate me because I'm going domination, as in I've been at war/denounced by everyone since 1000 BC. So you would think that at the first World Congress they would immediately agree to embargo me. Nope, instead their proposal was to ban Whales. :confused: I didn't even have any whales...

Also it seems that when you're outnumbered in the Congress but still have proposal ability, you can distract the AI by proposing something like Embargo Mr. Popular, which everyone will then waste their votes to stop when it has no chance to pass, then you can veto whatever weird thing they were trying.

Has anyone noticed any real pattern to the AI's proposals? They do seem to like the World Fair.

So you would think that at the first World Congress they would immediately agree to embargo me

No, I actually would not reach that conclusion.. Just because your diplomatic ties are strained as a warmonger, doesn't mean that a particular civ actually calculates that embargoing you is more beneficial than whatever they need in order to win the game.

Every game i've played the AI proposes Arts Funding...every...single...game...

wtf

They love all those hammer race project, arts funding and ban luxury (usually porcelain/jewelry comes first in my games).
And when I propose science funding everyone will get mad at me, even Babylon doesn't like this..

Does anyone know that, if someone propose to ban, say gems. And I have 8 gems, then I sell/trade my gems with all AIs, will they vote against it just because they are getting happiness from gems(temporarily)?

I have never played a game where every AI didn't LOVE Arts Funding and all hate the opposite one. I forget what it's called.

No, I actually would not reach that conclusion.. Just because your diplomatic ties are strained as a warmonger, doesn't mean that a particular civ actually calculates that embargoing you is more beneficial than whatever they need in order to win the game.

Well maybe, but embargoing me would certainly be more useful than banning Whales. Banning luxuries is never really working towards a win, at best it slightly inconveniences an opponent.

The AIs have all (rightly) concluded that I am the Dark Enemy of the World, and that unless I am stopped they will all die one by one. An embargo is the most direct proposal they can hit me with, so it should be what they calculate to.

I have never played a game where every AI didn't LOVE Arts Funding and all hate the opposite one. I forget what it's called.
Science funding? lol.

Embargo is pretty interesting. Considering if you were going to wage war with someone and you embargo'd against them, their economy basically fails, especially if they were a huge powerhouse military civ. They would do this if they hate you the most, I guess. I've done it to the AI at a point, it made the war somewhat easier than it could've been.

Yeah, this one happens every time. Would be nice to get some variability here. The tech leader may not like it, but everyone else loves it!

In my experience, the AI will propose to embargo a Civ if they are at war with that Civ when it comes time to make the proposal. It doesn't always happen, but it's often enough to be reliable. So if I want to have a civ embargoed, I'll pay the host or whoever is likely to be able to make a proposal to DoW them a few turns before the next vote. That way they get angry with the AI instead of me. :shifty:

The AI seems to like banning luxuries that their rivals have or benefit from somehow, so long as they also don't benefit from it themselves.

AIs also propose World Religion/Ideology for their own interests, from time to time. I don't see it often because I usually have control of the congress.

Tech leaders hate scholars in residence, backwards civs love it.

Everyone seems to like the projects. Never saw a Civ vote against them.

Natural Heritage Sites. Everyone seems to hate this one always, I guess AI is just bad at getting natural woders inside it's borders?

It's my go-to proposition when I don't really have a chance of passing anything useful, and just want to torbedo whatever the AI proposes if it happens to be something undesirable. Proposing that won't make anyone mad at me, but boy does it make them all waste half their votes just so noone can have extra culture from natural wonders that noone has anyway :)

Science funding? lol.

Embargo is pretty interesting. Considering if you were going to wage war with someone and you embargo'd against them, their economy basically fails, especially if they were a huge powerhouse military civ. They would do this if they hate you the most, I guess. I've done it to the AI at a point, it made the war somewhat easier than it could've been.

Whichever one increases the production of Great Scientists, Merchants, Engineers,at the expense of Musicians, Artists, Writers.

Anyone ever have a game where the AI tries to make a trade with you to get their proposal passed?

They all seem to go for arts funding every time. Even scientific/military Civs.

Everyone loves arts funding and hates sciences funding, for some reason people vote against natural heritage sites (very annoying when you're Spain!), everyone loves Historical Monuments (for good reason, they're great for social policies and I think you should always settle archaeological sites if in borders and not going for a cultural victory), I very rarely see people try to propose a world ideology but a world religion is reasonably common, nobody every votes for anyone other than themselves, everyone loves the collaborative projects. I never see a standing army tax or any sort of embargo proposed, but banning luxuries is like meth to the AI.

What I see:

1. You need not propose a vote on the World's Fair or International Games.
If you don't propose it, the AI will the first time it can. (You also don't need to vote yes on it; it will get a big majority and often doesn't have dissent)

2. Most of the AIs like Arts Funding. (But there are a few that don't, namely Korea and a few of the other high science flavor AIs. Again no point voting yes on this to get it assuming you want it.)

3. Ban luxury: The AI likes to ban luxuries that it's not receiving. (So be sure to trade surplus copies of your primary luxury to avoid it getting banned.)

4. Religion & Ideology: The AI only likes these proposals if a majority of its cities are running this religion or if they've adopted that ideology.

5. AIs that are far behind in tech love the proposal that adds an additional bonus to researching a tech someone else has.

6. World Council Host: Every AI will vote for itself.

7. At some point the world wonder culture bonus will become very popular: I think an AI has to have built a world wonder or two to like it.

8. Natural wonder one is very unpopular. Probably because the AI wants to have a natural wonder within its territory to vote for it.

9. Embargo (X): Means the AI proposing it hates the targets guts. AIs that dislike that target civ will vote Yes.

The AI would rather give up their precious snow cities than give those smelly natural wonders +5 culture. :p

I love the world congress but it might need some minor tweaks.

What I see:

1. You need not propose a vote on the World's Fair or International Games.
If you don't propose it, the AI will the first time it can. (You also don't need to vote yes on it; it will get a big majority and often doesn't have dissent)

That's true, but does proposing it yourself give any significant gain to AI relations?

I've noticed they come and tell me when they like proposals or votes, but how much of a boost is that? If you propose one of these projects, surely you'll get said boost with almost all AIs?

Anyone ever have a game where the AI tries to make a trade with you to get their proposal passed?

Well she didn't come to me to offer it, but while trying to trade with Elizabeth I clicked "what will make this work" and she said I should vote yes on making Order the world ideology.

A bit silly because there are only 4 civs left in my game and we're all Order.:p

Top Bottom