1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

AI+ v12.1

AI Improvements for Civ VI

1. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

part 2 of test II

with Firaxis TSL Europe map,
    Combat and Stacking Overhaul mod
    smoother mod immortal difficulty
    standard speed
    10 AI civs on the map
    I am Germany

Classical age brought the forming of my empire, now I have 5 cities and I plan to have one more up in the Danish penninsula. I had a Roman city flip to me in the middle of Europe, near Poland.

It was interesting to see the AI is very war-like: Rome is big, had war vs Greece and Poland at the same time, and now Trajan has 7 cities. He is much more successful than in test 1, Poland, on the other hand, is a small 2 city nation now - Jadwiga was attacked also by Russia, who is also at 2 cities.

Greece is also not big (3 cities), and so Spain is the other bigger civ, they have 5 cities and they have the most military (and religious cities). I have not yet seen Scotland, but I know they lead in science.

science:
    me: 17 techs (37/t)
    top Ai civs have also 17 (25-30/t)

culture:
    me: 29/t
    Rome: 42/t
    other AI civs are at ca. 15/t at best

military:
    me: 350
    Spain: ca. 1200
    Rome: ca. 1100
    France: ca. 550
    others are less, some are like me

I have a golden age in the Medieval Era, which started in turn 121… my neighbors Rome and Poland dislike me for this…

2. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

I thought I'd show France's army at turn 135, Medieval Age:
    My army is the German....

France-army-turn-135.jpg

3. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

Story in pics, at ca. turn 145

France went to attack my CS Geneva:

France-vs-Geneva.jpg

Then I joined with Spain vs France.
    France captured Geneva and then an emergency was triggered.
    Spain and Rome joined with me (Germany):

France-emergency-146.jpg

As you can see, Spain is already on the move... I guess I will get what I want:
    to capture Paris (and Toulouse) - and liberate my Geneva...

EDIT:

I had some turns of heavy war vs France, but Spain did help...
    Here is a pic just before I liberate Geneva and capture Paris:

Geneva-Paris-capture.jpg

Rome was not really acting here, Trajan is busy conquering Greece,
    here is the Roman Empire:

Roman-empire.jpg

And here is mine after the glorious medieval war against France:

German-empire.jpg

(Oh, you can't see it on the pic but I have also Oslo in the north in Scandinavia, it flipped to me...)

As I set peace with France, I got attacked (surprise) by Haralda...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. friday1st

friday1st Chieftain

So.
    so this and smoother difficulty.
    emperor. epic large with +2 civs and +2 cs

start with netherlands.

aztecs and gorgo neighbouring north of me - befriends them fast (use scout to meet to get friendly, delegations and open borders)
    west of me egypt and england

...long story short - that frikin friendly tactic almost lost my game ; gorgo asks joint war against england, I had no army so no.... 2 turns later, im in regret as england surprise war my second city while I had my "army" ready for gorgo or aztecs ...england had 3 archers, 3 warriors, 2 spears and 2 horses. I had one warrior, archer, no walls.
    Damaged all their units but suddenbly they started healing +10 on my territory??
    There was a turn where AI could have taken my city but did not - thou I would have had it back the next turn.

Still managed to keep my city but noticed that the AI is handling itself almost exactly like barbs? you can trick them with scout

5. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

There is a LOT of unwalled cities; especiay CS, but some civs build them very late also. I'm now around turn 150 and my direct Neighbor, Netherlands,still hasn't build one wall ! (standard speed, Medieval age, 3rd / 8 players in score,...)

When a city becomes free, they sometimes build a Builder that just stays there without moving nor doing anything

CS , now much more aggressive, tend to send their units through the Ocean without any Naval Protection

6. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

No emergency against you ? Some Emergencies give you +5 healing in Target's Territory
    There is also a GS that heals +20 his surounding units and give a permanent +5 to all the units when you expand him

7. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

part 3 of test II

We entered Renaissance in turn 183 (AD 1220), I have another Golden Age

After France is kind of eliminated and I have Paris and another big city in Normandy, Norway’s land is also getting under my control through a war that Haralda started…

EDIT:
    I just want to mention that when Norway surprised me, he was quick to capture my "Danish" city, that was efficient... but then the city flipped back to me and my forces also arrived from France...

BTW, France is a one-city state east of (!) Poland, under Vilnius…

AI Rome is superpower, Trajan has a military of ca. 2500, is one tech ahead of me, has about the same sci/t as me (84 and 88), and also ca. same culture/t as me (80 vs 84).

But the tech leader is Scotland, 125/t sci, also one tech ahead of me. Bruce dislikes me for the wars…

I try to get along with Rome, I think I will try a peaceful scientific victory…

I have 875 military… Besides Rome Spain has a big army of ca. 2000 - others are smaller than me.

All the other civs are much behind… Scotland is only a tech giant, in culture he is also among the lesser civs (30ish/t)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  8. friday1st

friday1st Chieftain

No, this was still quite early in 130s and I befriended all but egypt
    Did not figure this one yet. as later she did not have that.
    It was not for one turn

I lost the game...
    Egypt was on the loose, wars, wars everywhere and against evryoene, they were winning.
    I gave gorgo my 2nd horses, iron to aztecs and I was cutting roads with scout to help them fight egypt that was sending chariots my direction while having victorious wars against gorgo, aztecs and pedro; who was feeding gold to me for luxuries that the aztecs dont have.
    Aztecs had their wars against CS and pedro.
    All but Egypt were my friends, denouncing me for my tiny army - which was ver well placed for English surprise attacks.

lost my attention while districts were rising, All my extra gold came from pedro and from the peace deal (that was NOT so EASY to get) from early war with england (6gpt) which had setted me back in everything: could not afford better troops had trouble with amenities, loyalty, etc...

Aztecs invaded. ..2/3 of the continent ( they had 2 cities in norht of the continent and they had forward settled VERY far to south near me 2 cities) Pedro and Gorgo gone. ...Egypt was fighting and seemed to be losing. I lost myy friendshipo to aztecs and I saw the happy face go to orange without a warning. all CS from north... GONE aswell.
    England had tech lead -> knights everywhere -> my army waiting -> I move couple of troops to secure trade route and to watch aztec movements -> England surprises ....Invades 3 of m cities inside like 5 turns -> I slam my laptop shut.

no walls were built but mine

My current
    AI, smoother, bts,bes,morelenses,production que,
    inner sea, king( insert hurt(cash version)), standr, large, no extra CS or CIVs¨

upload_2018-2-25_5-21-42.png
    pedro builded walls!
    upload_2018-2-25_5-26-17.png
    Boudica bug reveals all barbs
    upload_2018-2-25_5-29-1.png

...why the gap between king and emperor I guess is due to smoother difficulty?

Attached Files:

9. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

part 4 of test II

standard speed
    10 AI civs start on the map
    I am Germany

It was an exciting Renaissance Era!

For some time it was peaceful, but with events:

Poland was in Dark Age, and so all her cities flipped to my Golden Age Germany…
    Poland and France went out of the game…

Meanwhile Spain had war vs. Rome, battles in France area… and then…

Spain attacked me after he had a settling of peace with Trajan. Turn 215 (1520).

Spain: 2200, me: 1300 - but I had to bring forces to the front!
    Philip had knights, knights, and conquistadors…
    I had pike&shoots, muskets, crossbow
    I thought it would be dangerous for me!

Spain quickly took Toulouse, and came for Paris:
    Spain at Paris t-216.jpg

but I defended Paris successfully.
    And then in turn 221 Rome also DoW me…
    With an army of 3350 and muskets, cavalry (!), bombards

This attack from Rome seemed to be big hit on me, as all my trades were dealt with Trajan…
    No money, no luxuries… NOW I had to prove my strength - war on two big fronts!

Luckily I could make peace with Spain in ca. 3 turns…
    And I got great peace deal - Philip gave me lots of money (500g + 120 gpt (!)) and luxuries,
    but did not give me back the city of Toulouse (anyways, I’ll perhaps get it back later on…)

Now I faced Rome, turn 224…

It turned out that my newly upgraded infantry and field cannon corps could manage the situation: Rome though did capture Geneva - but it was all for the good, as it triggered the emergency to get it back, which I just did in 2 turns…
    and then Rome asked for peace, gave me many luxuries and 120 gpt…

We had 9 turns left of the Renaissance… and entered Industrial Era in 1650 (turn 241)

I am in Golden Age, big civs are in Normal,smalls are in Dark Age

techs:

me: 44 (142/t)
    Rome: 38 (195/t) !
    Scotland: 36 (209/t) !
    Spain: 33 (125/t)
    others are way behind

culture:

me: 191/t
    Rome: 154/t
    others are 50-70

military:

me: 1800
    Rome: 4000
    Spain: 2000
    Georgia: 1300
    others are less than 1000

Thibaulthc likes this.
  10. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

part 5 of test II

standard speed
    10 AI civs on the map
    I am Germany

Industrial Age was quiet… Spain vs Rome wars happened, without much result.

Moder Era started in turn 301, AD 1860

techs:

me: 55 (255/t)
    Scotland: 54 (266/t)
    Rome: 48 (480/t) (!)
    Spain: 38 (158/t)

culture:

me: 376/t
    Rome: 393/t
    others are below 100

military:

me: 2700
    Rome: 5500
    Spain: 2100
    others are 1500 or less

EDIT: minimap at turn 301 - you can see how big Rome is... (and may be even bigger)
    immortal-t-302.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  11. Scramble

Scramble Chieftain

Hi, I am having an issue I was hoping you could help me resolve. I do primarily multiplayer with my brother and we have been desync-ing every turn or two beginning within the first 20 turns of the game. We have been disabling individual mods to isolate the issue and found that AI+ is the one causing the problem. We are pretty dissapointed because we have been anxiously awaiting the R&F update of AI+. Everything worked great before the expansion was released, but we haven't been able to get a game going since, as a result of this.
    Is this a problem that anyone else has been experiencing?
    Is there anything we can do to fix it?
    Can I post any logs or reports that may help you fix the problem in a future update?
    Is there nothing you can do about it?
    Is there another AI mod that would fill the gap until this mod works for us?

Thanks a ton!

12. Question

Question Chieftain

Is anyone else having issues with the AI being broken by 12.0?

The AI doesnt seem to upgrade units and spams swordsmen and other low tech units even though they have industrial era techs.

Thibaulthc likes this.
  13. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

@Question : in my current game with ai+ (demi god) and ai+, all the civs upgrzde corrrectl but one: Rome, who's on an isolated island , has loads of warriors in the renaissance era. Legions don't require iron.
    Maybe he just doesn't feel the necessity to defend himself since he's isolated ?
    He also has only 2 or 3 cities while there is still sime room on his big island, between some cs

Still lot of unwalled cities and cs

14. Question

Question Chieftain

I was playing on prince and every AI in that game was buggy and not upgrading till they were forced to via obsolete techs, see this save : http://www.mediafire.com/file/hp5m5e1lp95jkn5/b.Civ6Save

15. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

test II

standard speed
    10 AI civs on the map
    I am Germany

in turn 321 I see that AI Rome got ahead of me in tech: 60 vs my 59, and he has 668/t over my 400/t sci...
    It will be a real race for space... though Rome has not yet built a spaceport, and I have two and will begin Moon landing project in 5 turns...

Military: me: 3150, Rome: 6300 (exactly 2x mine)

here is the map:
    immortal-t-321.png

16. oedali

oedali Chieftain

Hey @Siesta Guru , I used to play with AI+ up until some of the last few patches and now planning to get back on it, having seen the positive feedback. Every time the devs release a patch, I know it's a lot of work for you to analyze and try to understand what the devs changed and how it impacts changes you had previously made and tweak your previous changes. How confident are you with that process?

As an example, I play religious game a lot and I know in the Fall patch they made it "easier" for players to get a religion, that not every single AI would go for a religion. (1/3, 1/3, 1/3 preferences thing) But I saw back in version 7 you had done:

Version 7:
    - Split faith and great prophet desires in three categories. Having a religion, being able to get a religion, and not being able to get a religion. The desire for it while in a religion is comparable to the base game, while the desire without a religion is significantly lower.
    - Additionally altered faith desires on a per-leader basis

So my Q is, after the devs made that change to religious preference, did you have to go back and undo or tweak that change from version 7? If not, do you know whether something like this would clash or complement the changes?

17. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

test II

the endgame was a bit anticlimactic...

I easily won the space-race in ca. turn 350, Rome got near Moon-landing... while Trajan had 1070/t sci (!) at the end and far more techs completed...
    I don't really know what Rome was up to: Trajan conquered some land of lesser civs, did some space race - but all lazily somewhat.

Oh, I realize that Rome probably did not have aluminium... that slowed down space race for Trajan...

Rome had 9500 military (me: ca. 4200).
    Scotland also begun Space Race, worked on the first phase...

18. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

Siesta, I see your posts in this thread.

If I can do some specific testing in your work on this AI+ mod now, let me know...
    I don't have too much time, but 2-3 hrs per day can be...

19. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Chieftain

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all your detailed feedback! Especially the detailed game description from you @V. Soma For some reason I hadn't gotten any alerts so thought no one was posting here, hence my absence.

So first thing first. Thanks to @Gedemon, a massive opening has now been found to actually use lua programming to be able to control a significant part of AI troop movements.
    This is a big deal because previously I was forced to just use xml based hacks, which give awful results. Now I should be able to have in depth control over where, when, and how players settle, which players attack what cities with what units, etc. (micro control might still be impossible though)
    I'm working hard on that now. It's going to take a lot of time because I have to start from zero and essentially override 30% of Civs AI code using somewhat hacky tools, but initial progress is decent.
    Thanks to this, the next version should be the biggest improvements by a large margin.

Will keep an eye out for this, thanks! Civs do produce more stuff/units here, so they need to manage more maintenance.

They shouldn't be, could you share the contents of your modding.log file under my games/civ6/logs ?

Oh dear.. That's not very smart.. It also happens in some of my test games so it's not just you, this behavior should be gone in the next lua patch

Thanks for the feedback, I think it aligns with what some other people are saying, and I should probably increase desire to get science and gold buildings over units.

This is not something I have direct control over right now (I might actually after the lua changes), it's probably a side effect of more gold being used on maintenance. Do you happen to have any balance mods changing gold in some way?

It depends on their change. In this case I could see what they did on xml side, so made sure it wouldn't conflict. The change they did was actually rather similar to what I had done and it ended up not mattering too much. They could've done some changes on their code side too, but I doubt it, because this is reasonably effective enough if done on xml side anyway.
    If I'm not sure, I usually just do a bunch of testing

Thanks a ton for the detailed descriptions. Glad to see rome was at least looking dangerous, even if it turned out he was a bit of an uncivilized brute.
    Based on your games, it seems one of the main things that needs changing is that they really need some more desire to get science. I'll try working that into the next version.

Thanks for the offer :) Right now my lua based version is so obviously broken that there's no real point in testing on that version (as in: right now all units endlessly move rightwards), nor really on the military/settling side of things on the current version since it's all going to be overhauled anyway. I imagine it's going to take at least a few weeks before the lua based mod is advanced enough to be able to use community testing.

Currently, feedback wise, what is most useful is feedback on the economic and individualization side of things, since I don't think I can reasonably touch these with lua. Mostly: are civs picking the right balance between growth/production/science/culture/growth and how does this look for individual civilizations.
    For example, the fact Robert was a science powerhouse in your game should be partially because I have set Robert to try to be science focused. Rome is focussed on military, expansion, production and trade routes; which seems to be reflected in how they were able to get both a massive empire and many units.
    For other civs it was a bit harder to tell for me based on your description whether they were doing the right thing. Was Georgia for example just kind of sticking to her corner doing religion? And do you know what pericles attempted to do?

In a completely unrelated note. Can anyone confirm whether the minor bonuses of governments are actually functioning? It seems at least the communism minor bonus is not doing anything whatsoever for me, but it's harder to tell for some of the others.

isau, Gedemon, Leyrann and 1 other person like this.
  20. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

to get alerts: perhaps you have to click "watch thread" button...? (it sounds stupid, but maybe)