1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AIOJ01 -- America the Beautiful

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by allin1joe, Jan 3, 2005.

1. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, now that my first ever SG ended in success, time to start another one(the first one I've started so if I forgot anything, let me know).

Difficulty = Emperor (can be talked down to Monarch if the variants are too difficult)
    Civ = America
    Map Size = Standard
    Map Type = Panega
    Climate = Temperate/Normal
    Barbs = Roaming (up to discussion as I really dont care :))
    Version = Conquests 1.22

Variant
    -- Only governments that can be used are Republic and Democracy. We need to get Republic as soon as possible and switch. When we get Democracy isn't important, but we need to have it before we move on to the next age, and we need to switch immediately upon learning it.

-- We can never pop rush while in Depo

-- Only victory condition we can do is domination. All other normal victory conditions will be on though.

-- We can NEVER raze a city. Any city we take in combat we have to keep.

-- If an AI takes one of our cities (any city with a majority American population), we have to take it back IMMEDIATELY and will not accept peace with that civ until the city is back under our control.

This will be my first Emperor attempt, so if you feel this will be too difficult given the variants and civ, let me know and we'll drop it. I have never played America because their traits/UU stink, but I figured this variant might be interesting.

When you sign up, please let me know if you'd like to start. I figured I'd go somwhere in the middle of the order. 20 turns to start, 10 after that.

Roster

Zakharov
    ChuckDizzle
    allin1joe
    DaveShack
    zurichuk

Standard LKendter SG rules ..

2. Jurimax

Jurimax Duke of Flanders

So it means that you can never take an enemy city of 1 citizen without culture? (it would autoraze) Or is that an exception to the rule?

Gr Jurimax

3. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

We can make that the exception to the rule (since we have no control over it). We can never choose to raze a city.

4. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I have been looking for an Emperor training game (winning handily on Monarch, losing consistently on Emperor), so would like to join if a couple of participants are ready willing and able to train. :D

5. ChuckDizzle

ChuckDizzle Chieftain

I'll play. Not much experience with America.

6. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, I will generate some starts tomorrow unless someone else gets to it first. Jurimax, are you in?

Chuck, do you have much experience on Emperor?

7. ChuckDizzle

ChuckDizzle Chieftain

I have some. I've just moved up, and haven't fared badly.

8. Jurimax

Jurimax Duke of Flanders

I'll pass but lurk

9. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, with the current experience level of the players who have signed up alread, plus with the variants, I am definately thinking about changing the difficulty to Monarch. Thoughts?

I'd like to get one more player before we start. 2 would be preferable.

10. Zakharov

Zakharov Academician

I'll sign up as I am close to finishing another SG. :)

I don't mind starting if you want me to.

11. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, we've got our 4th, so I'll generate some starts tonight for us to discuss. For now, do we want to do this on Emperor or Monarch?

12. zurichuk

zurichuk Chieftain

I have some free time over the next few weeks, I'll sign up if not too late

13. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, you're in. Feel free to pipe in on the difficulty level.

14. Zakharov

Zakharov Academician

I regularly win at emperor, but struggle with demigod. This variant will play about 1/2 a level higher. I think emperor will be a nice challenge, but if the team votes for monarch then I don't have a problem with it. :)

You are right that the UU stinks (it comes far too late to be effective), but the traits are very nice, especially at higher difficulty levels.

Industrious is always a nice trait as I love to have plenty of workers, and expansionist becomes very useful at monarch/emperor and above. At these levels a non-exp civ has a very high chance of popping barbs from a hut, but for exp civs this chance is zero. The two move scout is also useful to get early contacts for the trading game, which is essential to success at high levels.

I admit that I rarely use America, though this is because of the UU and not because of the traits.

BTW, one thing when rolling starts, I vote for a 4 or 5 billion year old world, as I don't want too many mountains. (Preferably 5).

15. ChuckDizzle

ChuckDizzle Chieftain

I think we can take emperor. Let the AI brace itself for a pimpsmack.

16. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I'm here to get pointers on the higher difficulty, so given we have at least one trying to win Demigod, Emperor sounds good to me.

17. zurichuk

zurichuk Chieftain

i pm'ed my preference earlier to allin1joe as emperor also (similar skill level to Professor Zahkarov), with republic / democracy being the war-weariness governments we will have to attempt to fight well, prioritize luxuries and alternate the wars if possible

18. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Ok, I have generated 4 saves, and REALLY like #4 myself(honorable mention to #2). Pictures are in this post, saves will be in the next one.

Attached Files:

19. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

20. allin1joe

allin1joe Chieftain

Oh, one more thing. #4 has tundra to the SW, but I dont think that offsets the benefits of starting with wine, cow and BG.