1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Combat - How does it work?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pir Lan Tota, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

See I haven't been able to experience the interception mechanics everyone is talking about here. I always send in fighters first to cities with air defense, hoping to shoot the planes down but it's a total crapshoot. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 air strike missions will my fighters actually engage their fighters, and most of those come up as "your fighter was intercepted and takes X damage" with maybe 1 out of 30 air strikes succeeding in actually damaging the defending fighters. There really ought to be a way to force fighter vs fighter combat because it really sucks when you are losing bombers to their fighters, despite the SWARM of fighters you send in first every single turn that seem to be sleeping on the job. I want my fighters to engage in air superiority missions like they could in Civ3!

2. MarkM

MarkM Cow Herder

That is my experience too (although the observed odds for me of my fighters engaging the opponets are higher than 10-20% I think)

You make some good points but I respectfully disagree with this one. An air unit should only get experience in cases where it actually is "shot back at," at the very least. Otherwise, what you're saying isn't that different than suggesting that land units should get XP for pillaging (what's to stop you from just doing bombing runs on improvements where there is no SAM or CAP e.g. & racking up a ton of XP at no risk). Or, on the flip side, should land units get Xp when they are bombed by planes? There's no place else in civ as far as I know where only one side in a battle can earn XP.

3. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Strange, because normally i can get a good rate of interception.

What might be happening is when you send the first fighter in, they might be damaging the only enemy fighter in the area. Because this fighter is now damaged is has less of a chance of intercepting your planes.