Air freshner in your computer...?

TastySheriff

Chieftain
I was just wondering if anyone can imagine how having a run-of-the-mill car air freshner inside your case can damage your computer. Im a smoker and i live in a very small dorm room that can get very very stanky, i did some math and realized that my computer can circulate a volume of air equal to the volume of my dorm room every 20 minutes (fan overkill). So i figure that'dd be the logical place for an air freshner. (And dont worry, ive got a filter on my intakes so that the tar doesnt gunk stuff up too much on the way in. I just want some pretty-smelling air coming out.

Quit smoking.

Seriously - quit smoking.

ok lets pretend that instead of smoking i fart alot and thats why my room is stanky. Now, can an air-freshner hurt my computer?

Surely you could put it on the outside next to the fan?

Also, this should really be in computer talk.

TastySheriff said:
ok lets pretend that instead of smoking i fart alot and thats why my room is stanky. Now, can an air-freshner hurt my computer?

No - a car refreshener will not damage your computer. The only way your computer could be damaged, is if enough vaporous residue was produced by the refreshener to short pins on the fine-pitch chips (and that's even assuming the residue from the refreshener is conductive), and I don't see that happening.

TastySheriff said:

then do what lord rahl said except replace the word "smoking" with "eating burritos"!

How many computers have space for an air freshener inside of them?

Just buy one of those new plug-in ones with a fan that they're always advertising.

if you're air freshner can withstand the high heat of the inside of your computer, if it doesn't have some sort of residue that could short the circuits, and if you aren't blocking the air flow you should be fine

I go to bemidji state university (in minnesota). Candles/incense are fire hazards and therefore not allowed in the dorms (and yet we can smoke, wierd eh?) I have plenty of space inside my case (its an antec soho). I cant put them outside the outtakes on my case because my case has only two outtakes (one side-panel near the processor, and one in the ps) compared to four intakes (i do this to keep dust from creeping in through the drive bays.) Airflow/heat is also not a concern. Thanks all for your input.

Rambuchan said:
That's not the point. He just wants pretty smelling air coming out of his computer alright.
I was making sure that he wasn't at a college with people I care about, given the fact that it is a Minnesota state school, there is a large chance that someone I don't hate from my school went there. (though it is a bit North from the Twin Cities metro) In this case I must advise the fellow to not smoke in his dorm because that adversely affects the health of those around him.

Top Bottom