Air power strategy

Exalted Druid

Chieftain
Can I get some help with late game air strategy for a newbie?

My last game I was winning until the Germans picked a war with me and came at me with a massive air force which devastated my defences.

I had actually ignored the air up to that point as only the Jap's were using the odd fighter and causing me little distress. Big mistake.

First is good defense. Riflemen armies can hold their own against fighters but fighter wings are likely to take them out unless they have a wall and upgrades, and better yet naval support and/or a great general. Bomber wings are almost certain death unless you have modern infantry. Modern infantry armies with a wall and upgrades can be in the high 90s for defense, and higher with the naval, etc. They stand up well (but not always) against bomber wings.

Offense is a good defense, also. Bombers are the catapults of the air--power, but not great defense. A fighter will take out a bomber and a fighter wing will take out a bomber wing. So if you see your opponents have flight, get it for yourself so you can build fighter wings.

To expand on what Palaistea said, it's best to have a mix of both fighters and bombers, while having Modern Infantry defending your cities. Fighters are rather weak when attacking cities, but are rather invincible to other air units. Bombers on the other hand, will break down enemy defending units, but fighters can easily take out bombers. Mix it up, and have lots of both.

Top Bottom