1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Promotions

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Vokarya, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I want to do some major housecleaning on air promotions. (I want to touch land and naval promotions too, but I don't have as clear an idea of what I want to do there.) I think air promotions have gotten way too complicated. For example, Torpedoes has EIGHT modifiers, three of which are negative. Kamikaze has four. Extra Fuel Tank is really similar to Range. This style of promotion would be appropriate to a tactical fighter game where you have to worry about your loadout for each mission, not a large-scale strategy game.

This is my complete revised list of promotions available to air units. I want straightforward promotions, not complicated effects. I also do want to be able to improve any of the stat numbers on a unit, just not all at once.

All Air Units
    • Combat I-VI
      • These should be available for when you don't know what else you want.
    • Range I-II
      • These are unchanged. I'm considering making Range II +2 range because that is all it does, and it doesn't scale for big maps.
    • Strafe I-II-III (requires Combat I to start): +20%/+25%/+30% vs. Land units
      • In regular BTS, Air units have access to the PInch and Ambush promotions. I don't think we need to be this specific, since this only matters when airbombing or intercepted by a land unit.
    • Torpedoes I-II-III (requires Combat I to start): +20%/+25%/+30% vs. Naval units
      • This is a parallel to Strafe. It absolutely does not need separate modifiers vs. different ship types.
    • Dogfight I-II-III (requires Combat II to start): +20%/+25%/+30% vs. Fighters
      • Because air units will fight air units more often, I want to split the promotions that would grant a bonus vs. other air units. This one is open to both air types because Fighters can fight Fighters if one is doing a bombing mission and the other intercepts, or during an engagement mission.
    • Evasion I-II: +5%/+10% evade chance.
      • Evade checks are an all-or-nothing separate check rather than a modifier to interception. I want a promotion that does this, but I want it to be small for now.
    • Ace (requires Combat III): +50% XP
      • I want Air units to be able to get a promotion that increases their XP the way Leadership does for land units. Air units can't get Great Generals, so this is what I have in mind. Also, drop the word Pilot. I hate extra words and I think the use is clear enough.
    • Top Gun (requires Ace): +50% XP
      • This is Ace part II. Getting +100% XP for air units requires spending a minimum of 16 XP (26 XP for Combat I-Combat II-Combat III-Ace-Top Gun, but you do get the strength bonus from the combat promotions too).
    • Kamikaze: Sacrificed in combat for +50% strength.
      • Kamikaze does not need to have four separate bullet points, nor does it need to have prerequisites. It's what you use when you need immediate strength and don't have a better way to get it.
    Fighters only
    • Intercept I-II: Unchanged, except drop the bonus vs. air units.
      • You can't take Intercept promotions once your intercept chance gets high enough. I don't want an air unit to be stronger if it is built as an earlier type, given Intercept promotions, and then upgraded. Also, land units don't take damage while intercepting, so I think land units don't need a bonus from Intercept promotions. They can take Combat promotions instead if they are worried about airstrikes.
    • Superiority I-II-III: +20%/+25%/+30% vs. Bombers
      • Bombers can't fight other Bombers, so an anti-Bomber promotion can be restricted to fighters only.
    Bombers only
    • Accuracy I-II-III: Same as BTS.
      • I don't see why we can't let Bombers have the full range of Accuracy promotions. If they specialize in this, they won't be able to do much else.
    • Barrage I-II-III: Same as BTS.
      • This is similar to Accuracy. This affects stack collateral damage but won't help against city defenses.
    • Napalm: +20% collateral damage, +10% city bombard
      • Napalm becomes a special event-only promotion, like Segmented Armor or Chain Shot.

2. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Good job! :goodjob:

Just 2 thoughts:

Kamikaze: Sacrificed in combat for +50% strength.
    Is +50% enough? I wouldn't sacrifice a unit for just +50%. I suggest +200%.

Extra Fuel Tank sounds like an equipment rather than a real promotion. Maybe it could be a free promotion provided only by some building? Just an idea.

3. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

200% seems like way too much. 50% was a lowball. I'll crunch the numbers; Kamikaze should be enough for a big boost against an equal unit or the next unit up, but not quite there against two units up.

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Isn't it a one time bonus? +X% against the unit it attacks and than it's destroyed, isn't it?

5. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Yes, but I don't want Kamikaze to be so much of a bonus that it cancels out more than one level of upgrade difference. For example, a Biplane is 15 Strength. +200% would make it equal to a Jet Fighter. That's too much.

+100% appears right. It gives the kamikaze unit a chance to take down the next fighter up, but the fighter above that is likely to escape. How much will vary from unit to unit. A fighter with kamikaze vs. bombers will definitely win given the +100% fighters get against bombers, so you can use those for one-shot defense.

6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Ah, now I see. That makes sense now to me to.