air superiority?

enderdr

Chieftain
I installed the patch, but still cannot seem to get air superiority to work. The patch _seems_ to be working, as other things are fixed (corruption, etc). But I sit there with a city full of fighters on air superiority mission and watch enemy bomber after bomber pound the squares around my city, never touched by my fighters. Of course enemy fighters work fine, frequently intercepting and destroying my bombers. Am I missing something?
-I installed the patch multiple times
-I started games from scratch
-I put the fighter in a city and click Air Superiorty button
-I watch enemy bombers carpet bomb the squares around my city

Do I need an airport? SAM battery? anything else for interception to work?
Thanks in advance for your help

Air superiority is not 100%. Defense radius is half the operational range or 2 squares for fighters, 3 for jet fighters. There are three combat outcomes possible: interceptor shoots down attacker, attacker downs interceptor, nothing. I believe each interceptor gets one shot and that additional bombers come in free and clear. Reloading the same game over and over will give you the same combat results. With animations turned off, you only get a very quick flash message that your interceptor shot down a bomber (or your interceptor got shot down by a bomber).

BillChin, he's getting 0%, just like me. Not "only a few times", nor "less than 100%" ... Air Superiority missions *just do not work* even after installing the latest patch.

enderdr, I've tried completely uninstalling Civ3, reinstallzheimers, and THEN patching. But since a game takes me a few weeks, it's going to be a long time before I find out if that even works... But I'll let you know.

So far, the only change I've noticed is now there's a blocky aliased drop shadow under the city size number.

The first post in this thread says that his bombers are getting shot down by the enemy fighters, so something is working.

Is your game an old one, started pre-patch, or a brand new one started after patching? That is only a guess. Are your bombers ever shot down? If some bombers are being shot down, then it is probably working, but not the way you expect it to. If your bombers are never shot down and the computer players have Flight tech, then I agree that Air Superiority is not working.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the computer usually avoids targets with fighters flying over head if there are other good targets that do not have air superiority. Again, the umbrella area is only two squares around the city or carrier for fighters (3 for jet fighters and stealth fighters can not do air superiority). The computer seems to know the location and mission of all your units and will avoid your fighters if given a choice.

Another idea you might try is to download a zipped Space Victory game from the Hall of Fame section where players have most techs but still have enemies, and maybe test it out on a saved game.

>>
From first post: Of course enemy fighters work fine, frequently intercepting and destroying my bombers
>>

Originally posted by 57%
BillChin, he's getting 0%, just like me. Not "only a few times", nor "less than 100%" ... Air Superiority missions *just do not work* even after installing the latest patch.

enderdr, I've tried completely uninstalling Civ3, reinstallzheimers, and THEN patching. But since a game takes me a few weeks, it's going to be a long time before I find out if that even works... But I'll let you know.

So far, the only change I've noticed is now there's a blocky aliased drop shadow under the city size number.

I believe Bill that A.I. airsuperiority missions worked before patch also. I never got that far in a game so I don't know first hand.

Originally posted by 57%

That's simply not true. My jets now have no problem shooting down enemy bombers. I suspect the problem is with the quickness of the message, as another poster described, or that the fighters simply don't "roll" good results as often as you'd think. But let there be no mistaking it: Air Superiority does work now for the human.

Top Bottom