1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Trading

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by lmuk2011, Jun 1, 2014.

1. lmuk2011

lmuk2011 Chieftain

So we have Sea Trading and Land Trading, but what about a Air Trade, yes, Trade Routes using aircraft like the cargo that is used when deploying paratroopers. it has much longer distance to a point where it can reach any part of the world.

2. sam44hill

sam44hill Always go for the Kill

While this is an interesting idea the majority of the world's trade is still done via water or overland.

3. lmuk2011

lmuk2011 Chieftain

true, but it's an idea

4. lmuk2011

lmuk2011 Chieftain

Plus sea and road routes can only go a certain distances, air route can get to the furthest civs

5. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

Air trading should be logistically harder to pull off, so maybe make it require an Airport to build an Air Freight unit, and have it have unlimited range to any city with an airport in it but the same trade value as a caravan (rather than a cargoship). This'd make it have some sense of realism in that mostly sea trade would reap greater economic benefits, but air trade would have benefits too

Then much later, you could have The Internet allow E-trading, which would allow unlimited range trading with no actual unit moving that could be plundered.

6. lmuk2011

lmuk2011 Chieftain

awesome ideas

7. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

I like it. But yes, at least your city needs an airport--probably both, though airports are a rare build unless someone is going cultural. You can't just fly in and trade with any 1-pop city in the jungle, wouldn't make sense and would make the range too OP.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

This is something I've also advocated for before. I know some people discard the idea because they find it unrealistic, but I don't really care. Instead of the normal airport building however (which comes very late) I'd instead have another building (airstrip or something like that) which unlocked with flight which allowed air units to land in city. Might also go for military air units ...