1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air unit capabilities

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Melchizel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

I am not sure if this subject was brought up previously.

I finally started to use my air units and notice that their capabilities are quite limited. Also, the units itself are really buggy. So below is just a few suggestions I have to improve air units overall. Please feel free to add to this!

1. Air units should be able to bombard tile improvements.
    2. Air units should be able to scout areas and let that area be viewable for that turn.
    3. Please add an outline so we know how far out the selected unit can rebase.
    4. Advance air units should have the ability to target specific city improvements.
    5. City Population should decrease after a certain amount of bombardment.

2. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

I have seen a blue range indicator for rebasing but I'd have to double check to confirm.

3. Eberon

Eberon Chieftain

There is an outline that lets you know how far they can rebase. Its VERY hard to see.

1 and 2 are needed imo. 4 and 5 might be fun but not needed to fix air power. It does need to be fixed btw.

4. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Chieftain

indeed air units are useless to the point i don't even make them.

5. Zard0z

Zard0z Chieftain

This only happened once, but when I bombarded a city that was still in Renaissance-era, the city was somehow able to damage my fighter with its catapult. I literally saw giant rocks fly up, hit the fighters, and cause -2 HP loss. Has anyone else experienced this WTF moment?

6. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

Yes, regularly. Cities and standard units can do damage to air units. I don't really have a problem with it.

7. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

I actually like all of your suggestions. I think #4 was implemented in Civ3 but never returned in Civ4 or 5. I think any air unit should be able to target a specific building in a city.

8. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

I have only seen them on Nukes, and missiles but not on planes.

9. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

Mine was even more ridiculous, long swordsmen was able to do damage to my Jet Fighter. However, I can see that maybe there was a malfunction with the jet. lol.

10. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

Actually I wouldn't go that far. Towards the end game I usually have 3 carrier groups and they sure do kick butt, especially before your land troops get there, cause then you can gobble up all the cities easily. ;)

11. Orion66

Orion66 Master of Orion

I agree in 100%.
    It will be aviable in next DLC for 5$ for each point...:lol:

12. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Chieftain

considering the warmongering AI, there is usually only a few civs left in the late game. and if you pushed all war, there is no late game at all, because you would be done near rifles. or you can read "sulla exposes major flaw in civ 5" post and the only thing you need is horses.

i agree they can kick butt, and in former civ games, i used planes/carriers a lot. in this game, my play style has no use for them at all but that is just me. :)

13. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

LOL this is so true. Since I do like the advance tech gameplay, I purposely would hold out and try to make sure that we get some action in the late game. :D It really is sad that we have to purposely hold out versus the AI giving us a challenge!

I really hope we get an AI fix soon. :confused: