1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air units hardly do any damage

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lordsurya08, May 16, 2011.

1. lordsurya08

lordsurya08 class-A procrastinator

I built a fighter (for the first time in 150 hours of gameplay) and tried attacking stuff with it. I first learned the hard way that one should destroy AA units first before attacking, but even after there were no AA units within 2 tiles my aircraft were barely doing 1 or 2 damage.

Also, I don't have any AAs, so when enemy fighters were attacking my mechs, it was saying "your mech was attacked by a fighter (5 damage)" but closer inspection revealed that my mechs took only 1 or 2 damage. Bug?

2. Gallean88

Gallean88 Squid Gynaecologist

Fighters get a 50% penalty when bombarding targets, so they really only have 30 or 25 ranged strength. The 5 damage refers to how much damage your mech inflicted on the fighter, not the reverse.

3. snoochems

snoochems Prince

Fights are pretty meh. Mainly use them for air defense. You may want to wait for bombers for offensive attacks.

4. Lose

Lose King

yeah fighters suck.. even the zero sadly.. get bombers

5. UrbanX

UrbanX Absolute Monarch

bombers can do crazy damage to cities with promotions.

6. Strategy Master

Strategy Master Chieftain

I find fighters are useful for tactically picking off units,fleeing units or to create an opening for ground units.

They are great for intercepting other aircraft though especially when an AI does its spam sessions.

7. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

Well, my main front-line offensive unit is the B-17 bomber ('cause it's born with two promotions). I build about 10 of them as soon as I am able, and then get the promotions for Siege I, II, III (bonus when attacking cities), Bombardment I, II, III (bonus when attacking land units), Air Repair (auto-repair), and Logistics (double attack). Now that stealth bombers can get promotions, I upgrade them to stealths ASAP. Anyway, these bombers are pretty much invincible. I also build a few (3-4) fighters (jet fighters if I've got the resources). Their main mission is air defense, but if they're not doing anything else (i.e., no incoming air threat on the horizon), then I send them out to attack ground units and build up XP. I don't think I've ever been clueless enough to send a single fighter against AA or SAMs, but a single stealth bomber can knock these units out pretty handily.

8. Arilian

Arilian King

My main problem is with fighters/bombers, that it means atomic bomb madness is only about 20-30 turn ayaw and i have to win really!quickly.