Air units odds

There's a problem with Mounted Ranged line borrowing Archer unit combat type, which is that they borrow the same promotion and any stuff (like buildings) that uses unit combat type level. Not really related to this problem, but it's a problem. And one of my suggestions is to use the Helicopter unit combat type for the whole Mounted Ranged unit.

This promotion problem should use unit class for Helicopter Gunship instead of unit combat type. I don't know why people didn't notice that for so long.
I misunderstood then, in theory I think you could use unitcombat_helicopter for mounted ranged in order to give them their own promos and combat modifiers, yes. The only drawback I can think of, is it would deprive modder's of being able to use unitcombat_helicopter for their own unit lines, and I believe this was part of the thinking at one point in leaving it untouched. However, not many, if any, mods use it.

iirc there are other tricks available to make same unitcombat (archers in this case) have access to different promos and modifiers, though i cant recall all the specifics, and it might require some lua magic to achieve everything the unitcombats accomplish; lua workarounds aren't welcome in vp mainbranch, generally speaking. To your point, while reassigning the unitcombat might function as you suggest, I'd prefer to see unitcombat_helicopter be made into a proper helicopter line, tbh

To me this is probably a text issue. I don't think helicopters need to get mowed down by fighters anymore than they do now. They aren't an amazing unit to begin with.
To note, this promotion is also used for SAMs, so they currently don't have any bonus vs helicopters.

Last edited:
To note, this promotion is also used for SAMs, so they currently don't have any bonus vs helicopters.
It would make sense for Anti-Aircraft Guns and SAMs to have such a bonus against helicopters if they ever have an opportunity to attack one.

It would make sense for Anti-Aircraft Guns and SAMs to have such a bonus against helicopters if they ever have an opportunity to attack one.
"makes sense"....sure. Mechanically necessary, I doubt it.

Again helicopters aren't THAT strong a unit to be honest, I don't see why they need a special counter unit.

"makes sense"....sure. Mechanically necessary, I doubt it.

Again helicopters aren't THAT strong a unit to be honest, I don't see why they need a special counter unit.
I never said it was necessary. AAGs and SAMs don't really need to attack helicopters in melee to be useful, they already get the job done simply being interceptors. Helicopters are fine too and I really like using them around mountains and rivers.

TBH, it's just weird that anti-air guns don't have bonus against helicopters. It's no intuitive at, so it's yet another thing that you have to learn and remember. That's a bad design imho.

Top Bottom