1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Air War

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by guare, Nov 23, 2007.

1. guare

guare Chieftain

Okay, I've won a few games on easier levels and I didn't fight many air battles. But now, on noble, I found it pretty useful against navies and such. But, as a civIII player, I found something in civ4 that I'd say it's a Sid's great mistake.

Being capable of destroying units with enough bombers was a big difference (at least for me) in the civIII conquests. It's real: Japanese destroyed HMS Prince of Wales using ONLY land-based bombers is the main example of how those things do happen.

But, in my Civ4 Warlords, It doesn't matter bombing the enemy down to pieces. It comes a time where the bombing option disappear. What the hell, I say. This is a step-back in what I thought it was a great feature.

Is this 'fixable' with an update or Beyond the Sword? Is this an unnecessary thread? XD

Thanks for reading.

2. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

I agree, it's unrealistic that you can't completely blow a ship up with a plane, but It's necessary to the game. Otherwise it would be too easy.

3. Mattimeo

Mattimeo God of Gods

What bugs me is that you can't destroy air units with other air units. Personally, I loved Rise of Nations' air unit system.

4. Bobv2

Bobv2 Warlord

Umm... cruisers? If they don't exist in IV already. This would allow for bombing of ships without overpowering. That or some other anti-air ship.

5. NP300

NP300 Prince

No it wouldn't. In Civ3 you could mod it so that air units would have lethal sea bombard but not lethal ground bombard. Unfortunately, in Civ4 it is all or nothing. Either you give them lethal ground and sea bombard, or no lethal bombard at all.

It would make sea warfare realistic, and would make carriers and submarines much more important. Submarines, being invisible, would be effectively immune to air attacks, while carriers would be important to provide a screen for your surface sea units.

6. Spitefire

Spitefire Prince

Actully if its modded so that tile defencive moddifiers and forts/fortification altered the hit chance of bombardment and not make shelling/bombing an auto hit it could make most land units hard targets to finish off (%percentage of health leftover becomes the chance to hit the unit minus the tile moddifiers 25 for hills 50 for wild lands and 75 for wildlands on hills with a minimum of 1% chance to hit) also there should be 3 results that can happen with a bomb/shell blast (full miss becomes no effect) (near miss becomes collatral damage done to half or a quarter of the intended units so if the unit can only do collatral to a max of 8 then this would result in 2 or 4 getting hit) and (full hit normally intended damage is done) one more thing a stack that is shelled if it has a shelling unit of same or better quality it should be allowed one shot of return fire per unit of shelling ability or a stack that is bombed if it has a unit with Anti Air capacity it should be allowed one shot of return fire per Anti Air unit.

It would be nice if this website would stop ****ting its damdable cookies all over my computer.

7. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

"All over"? thought cookies could only go in cookie folder.
    And this site uses cookies, so get used to it!

8. Light-Giver

Light-Giver Warlord

speaking about this type of stuff is there a way so i can turn off this thing that sends me a e-mail every time someone responds to a post i use my outlook express only twice a month and its flooded with e-mails in 5 days.

9. Spitefire

Spitefire Prince

No i dont think i will (get used to it) i will however keep my cookies folder open so i can mob up after these messy freaks that run this site, and every other site like them. (what i do online is not for them to know unless i say so, true that not all cookies are used for that but most are)

As for the Email thing go into my account look under edit options on the side bar and in that list should be a section concerning email notification about subscribed threads open that to edit your email notification options.

10. guare

guare Chieftain

Mozilla Firefox, ctrl+shift+delete, delete cookies.

Simple as that.

11. Party

Party Warlord

Planes should be able to destroy ships. That simple.

12. Yesod

Yesod Warlord

it doesn't make sense for planes to be able to destroy land units because the individual units represent battalions with numerous units. It would be unrealistic though foreach cruiser to represent more than 1 or 2 ships though so i agree. You can mod it easy though, just find the xml tag for the unit and chane the iCombatLimit to 100. I'd say the same goes for air to air as well. A ship with no air support is ghost in the real world. They should'nt nerf air units so bad.