1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Airdrome nerfed

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Warlord

The capacity goes from 4 to 2.

Why do they nerf this? Is there anyone actually building Airdrome?

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I build them if 1) I have nothing better to build; 2) I have a far-away city that airlifting units could be helpful to; or 3) I have a super-aggressive neighbor because planes are actually really great for defense, especially since the AI doesn't use them. :p

AvianBritish and Socrates99 like this.
  3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Maybe they buff aircraft.

Or maybe they're playing a different game than everyone else. Prob nerf neighborhoods. :lol:

4. King William I

King William I Chieftain

I built a couple if planes in an old Persian game because I had nothing else to do.

Then the Romans attacked, now I make sure they're in all my border cities

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Zaarin likes this.
  5. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

We'll have to see in context - that could be fine if they are also cheaper and don't take up a district spot. Like aqueducts. Not that anyone builds those either of course!

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

They'll be more appealing now that they defend against drought...

7. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

More incentive to build military engineers maybe?

8. Xur

Xur Chieftain

Maybe they'll just force the AI to build/fill it now? I'd rather have the AI build and use 2 aircrafts than have 4 unused hangars. A stupid AI is better than no AI I guess.

9. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if it's because they want to encourage people to build Hangars for the extra 2 capacity they provide.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Did anyone see in the Canada live stream if they were able to build aircraft without an aerodromes? I forgot to check. I was thinking they may fix this to be more inline with harbor and encampment.

11. rattatatouille

rattatatouille Chieftain

Aerodromes are pretty meh districts. Had to buff them in my mod; Airports double Tourism pressure in their city while Hangars increase the production yield of Aluminum tiles.

Not that I use them unmodded.

12. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

This would be the one major fix for the AI to help them build airplains (and I never got behind the reason why it was implemented this way).
    No Aerodromes? No faster promotions, no additional "storrage space", no air transport. That's enough benefits. Maybe boost aircraft build speed further than currently.

Obviously, the other needed fix would be to make the AI actually USE those flying miracles ...

13. Trav'ling Canuck

I agree the treatment of Aerodromes is odd. I'd rather see them implemented as a mixed purpose district like at the Harbour, with commercial (Gold) and tourism benefits plus boosts to your air force.

That said, I don't think the requirement to have an Aerodrome first has much impact on the AI's non-use of air force. I often see the AI build a bunch of Aerodromes without then following that up by building planes.

14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Warlord

In another screenshot it shows that hanger is nerfed from +2 to +1, too.

15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Warlord

But it seems that Biplane is enhanced from 60/55 to 80/75, with cost being still 430 and need 1 Oil per turn. It seems that air forces are quite a powerful late-game forces now. ( They don't receive malus against city outer defenses, which makes them powerful bombering cities.)

16. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I honestly didn't even know what the capacity was before, so calling it a "nerf" doesn't really impact me. If they actually make planes useful, then that's a buff to aerodromes.

17. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Chieftain

here is to hoping they actually implemented some AI improvements to using an air force.

as for the district itself, its an odd one. You dont really get to see its full potential until rapid deployment, which is one of the last(currently) civics in the game, allowing you to fly units around. the buildings themselves are unimpressive(especially the airport, that should be a big boom to money and tourism)

i dont remember, but is there a policy card to helping you build aerodomes faster? if not, why not use that encampment build speed policy to buff aerodome and their buildings build speed. it would make them not as costly to build in the mid/late game.

18. Trav'ling Canuck

That's a hefty boost.

I hope this is an indication that they've taught the AI to use air force. Surely they wouldn't be doing this to make combat easier for the player.

19. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Chieftain

I only build them if I am doing a TSL map and running domination. Basically anytime I have 10+ AI opponents and I know the game will run a bit longer than usual. If my game is 8 or less opponents the game is typically over by the time I can get tanks.

Sometimes if I have to scrap my domination victory and pivot to a Science one, I will have some built up in my perimeter cities for sure.

I been getting the vibe that GS is going to overall nerf warmongering. That last game they showed, not a single civ was hostile to each other. I know that is possible even now, but still.... Might be like Civ5 where if you want to warmonger, you might be better off sweeping the whole map without pauses before they can use the world congress to stop you. Thing is, when does the WC kick in?

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  20. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Chieftain

No kidding. The AI rarely, almost never uses aircraft. If they could fix that issue, then it might be worthwhile letting the game stretch to have that long ranged chess match.