1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Airships - any good?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Patricko, May 16, 2012.

  1. Patricko

    Patricko Warlord

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2012
    Messages:
    109
    Location:
    Norwich
    I rarely build airships becaase I assume there not any great use. But I notice a few threads where people mention airships being good.

    Do you use them and what for? Scouting? Supporting attacks?
     
  2. pigswill

    pigswill fly (one day)

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2006
    Messages:
    8,701
    Location:
    berkshire, england
    Some of the clever players go for airships to support a cavalry rush to weaken the top defenders to give cavalry better odds. I myself ain't clever enough to use advanced tactics like that.
     
  3. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
    I was never a big fan of airships, but after reading the threads here, I'm a little bit of of convert.
    I used to only build a couple for scouting but have learned that a handful can be actually supportive in a Cav rush.
     
  4. Pisskop

    Pisskop Goblin Axeman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    315
    Location:
    Connecticut
    Airships= Air support.

    Not only for defense, but also for attack, and keeping a few around for naval support and 'spying' on the waters and neighboring civs is fun. The best use for them is to take them with an invading force to a freshly dominated city. Use this base to smite the dickens out of anything in field and weaken the abilities of defenders... great for rousing a muskets or stubborn units from a defended hll or a stupid longbowman from a city. Use in numbers over a few turns for maximum effect. It helps me reduce casualties and stay on the move, like the above was saying about calvary... MMM if only horse/tanks could stay on top of the world... The Germans had it right with their military tactic, and (unlike them) in Civ I typically have tech superiority(and no deficit) by the time I use them.

    Fun fact: tanks were the first truely successful attempt to turn the advantage to the attacker.
     
  5. jordiflor

    jordiflor Chieftain

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    Messages:
    84
    I use them a lot, to weaken garrisoned units before attack, with both cavs ands rifles.
    They don't cause so much damage as siege units (damage is in fact capped), but their range is very wide, so you can often attack several cities from same base. Up to 4 airships can be based in a city (of yours or of an AI you have open borders with).
    Usually, when going to total conquest of an AI, I have 2-4 groups of 4 airships in border cities. After AI city is taken, in the turn cavs move to next city, rebase airships to newly conquered city, in order to be near to next targets.... and so on.
    On each attack, airship reveals a great deal of fog, so it's very useful with cavs to attack units and steal workers two tiles away.
     
  6. elmurcis

    elmurcis Emperor

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,136
    Location:
    Latvia
    Actually pretty strong unit that can be useful even in late game (can see submarines). But for attack its also nice - getting down 20% from best defenders health give much higher chance for siege weapons to survive starting fights and stacks can move forward faster.
     
  7. lindsay40k

    lindsay40k Emperor

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,671
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    England
    I love 'em, very handy for protecting stacks from marauding Cavalry by kicking the trotters' teeth out before they can charge and having a good look around for incoming counter-stacks. And of course you can upgrade them to Fighters when you tech up and pound even harder - or sting enemy Airships trying to soften your occupiers up to retake a city.
     
  8. freedomna

    freedomna Chieftain

    Joined:
    May 1, 2011
    Messages:
    24
    On my game (please note I am using the Realism Inviticus mod) the airships are very useful since I don't own the fuel resource for planes. I managed to secure a city with a garrison that outnumbered me 3:1 just because the Airships gave me air superiority. I feel they are useful, however on Vanilla I don't know (haven't played it in ages.)
     
  9. Seraiel

    Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    Messages:
    8,165
    Gender:
    Male
    Airships are very useful for, as already said, scratching the top-defenders. Usually they're used together with Cavs, sometimes also Cuirrs. In my games I usually build Airships 1:3 to Cavs and conquer the complete map with those. If you get 20% health of the top-defender, chances for a Cav can go from 50 to 80% survival rate. Airships are also awesome for scouting and they can attack defenders that are immune to siege damage (i. e. siege, MGs) . Yes, MGs can be brought down with reasonable losses if one has Airship support.
     
  10. Archon_Wing

    Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2005
    Messages:
    5,082
    Gender:
    Male
    There's no real counter to airships at the time they come out. Until your enemy develops a reliable way to shoot them down which can be a while, they're a pretty risk free way to open the fight with a good amount of damage and scout with unparalleled range for that era. That would be until SAM infantry and fighters; anti-tanks and machine guns can intercept airships, but they usually just scratch them and just a short period of healing will put them back in commission. That's a long while-- and it's not like forcing the enemy to build anti-air units is a bad thing either.
     
  11. Darth Fred

    Darth Fred Prince

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2009
    Messages:
    401
    Location:
    Lawrence frackin' Kansas
    At the very least, I try to keep a few of them around for the reasons already named. Even after I get fighters, I'll leave one in service for long range scouting.
    F
     
  12. RakeWorm

    RakeWorm Chieftain

    Joined:
    May 8, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    This thread just made me realize that I don't think I've ever built a single airship. Will mess around with them on my next game.
     
  13. Junuxx

    Junuxx Emperor

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
    Messages:
    1,153
    Location:
    the Netherlands
    Airships may be rather silly, but they're very useful.
     
  14. reddishrecue

    reddishrecue Deity

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2009
    Messages:
    5,376
    airships are useful for scouting sometimes. THey're upgradable to the fighter with flight.
     
  15. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
    And they're not expensive to upgrade so you can have some waiting to upgrade quickly
     
  16. Pisskop

    Pisskop Goblin Axeman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    315
    Location:
    Connecticut
    You know what I never buildmuch of? Stupid Privateers. Slow my game down for the chance to steal a median of 3gp a turn per. Although the chance to screw with slow-techers and mass faster ones is fun it seriously lags my turns...
     
  17. Antilogic

    Antilogic --

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2006
    Messages:
    15,602
    Don't use them for raiding, use them for sinking enemy galleys and caravels. If the AIs don't have the technology for frigates yet, they will continue to spam obsolete ships that are easy prey. Wastes tons of their production.

    In some games, I have upwards of 100 galley/caravel/galleon kills. That's thousands of wasted hammers on their part in exchange for a handful of privateers on mine.



    On the topic: I think airships are far too strong for their place in the tech tree, so I definitely use them to soften up city defenses/scout out enemy lands when preparing an invasion (in short, Archon_Wing has it right). What should come at Physics is some kind of observation-only balloon that lets you scout, and then you can build zeppelins for bombardment later on.
     
  18. Junuxx

    Junuxx Emperor

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
    Messages:
    1,153
    Location:
    the Netherlands
    I do this as well. Don't forget to mention the heaps of xp (and thus, great generals) you get this way.

    If building a handful of privateers gives all your future rifles/infantry an additional 6 xp, I'd say they're definitely worthwhile.
     
  19. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
    And if you can get them home safely after frigates show up, they upgrade to SWEET destroyers. (obviously after they've racked up tons of experience)
    A tad expensive but what the hey.
     
  20. TheWilltoAct

    TheWilltoAct I am observe

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1,874
    Location:
    Exiled from Fribbulus Xax
    Edited for clarity by Darth Vader, the other Wright brother.
     

Share This Page