1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] AIs become more clever

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Anyone witnesses this?
    Now the AI will use its 5 initial warriors to scout instead of only wander around its capital, and also, once an AI warrior finds where you capital is, instead of moving away the AI warrior will just stay there and call for other warriors. If you don't build up defense soon there'll be 5 warriors and you lose your capital.

They really become more clever. This strategy may annoy Epic or Marathon early games, as you have to build up defense early.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    oedali, Reman, CoconutTank and 13 others like this.
  2. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Just rolling byzantium games yesterday, I kept finding the AI was doing a lot better with units than before. Still some hit or miss with some AIs developing very well and some being mediocre, but compared to GS release I don't think you can cheese the emperor+ difficulties (Ai second settler starts) like you used to be able to (no campus victory, etc.)

Jkchart, nzcamel and topsecret like this.
  3. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

To my knowledge AI keeping an eye on your capital is an old thing - which usually means they will attack your capital not long after - but combine that with actively scouting and bringing on reinforcements is new.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    CoconutTank, nzcamel and topsecret like this.
  4. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

I agree, I've seen the AI park warriors right near my capital for months now. Stinks because while they can yell out you about having troops near their borders you can't do the same.

Socrates99, Reman, 679x and 4 others like this.
  5. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

AI Maya did that to me yesterday. They had a little scouting party and hung around my capital. I wasn't able to build up my defense in time and they declared a surprise war on me and went straight to my capital. It kind of took me off guard, honestly.

AntSou, nzcamel and topsecret like this.
  6. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Yes, slower speeds are especially affected. I haven't been able to lately survive starts on Deity/Marathon. I'm not claiming it is impossible, but it clearly showed for me that you now need to play better/more effective then I tend to do :)

7. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Sometimes the barbarians are more dangerous than the other civs, which amuses me no end. Ignore them at your own peril.

RohirrimElf, Socrates99 and nzcamel like this.
  8. Patine

Patine Deity

The Barbarians are far more of a threat and menace in Civ2.

9. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Mhm I've noticed it too. Posted this in the Funny Screenshot thread yesterday: the Barbarians pulled of an actually coordinated attack against one of my cities:

They had two muskets, three xbows, a bombard and a battering ram and actually used them correctly. The only reason the Barbarians lost is because they disengaged after I damaged their troops into red health (and because I'm hungary i just quickly pulled in some levied troops from nearby city states to kill them). The AI still does a lot of wonky stuff but they're less braindead than they used to be.

King difficulty, Gathering Storm (no NFP), Large Pangaea map on standard speed.

oedali, 679x, Bosque and 4 others like this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

From what little experience I have so far, I agree AI seems better with its units. There was even a city state that managed a pretty smart move against me: It was a militaristic city state, I had settled very close to it because of a natural wonder, so they had an encampment two tiles from one of my cities. When their suzerain DoW'd me, the city state parked a trebuchet in their encampment and systematically pummeled my city from this location, actually achieving knocking down my medieval walls in only a handful of turns. This definitely seems like a step in the right direction from what I've seen before, not sure if it was just a fluke or an actual improvement in the AI that caused this.

679x, Bosque, Depravo and 2 others like this.
  11. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

Oh good... glad it isn't just me. I fired up a game trying out the Gauls, and I was terrified because Montezuma was near. I built up defenses and had my 2nd city filled with units, but that didn't stop him. There was nothing I could do. Once I saw the horsemen, I knew it was over.

Haig likes this.
  12. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised how things are developing. This is my recent Gaul game, I'm on the first turn of the Industrial Era. Catherine De Medici has just made a surprise(!) DoW on me, probably because I assaulted her pet city state. A few turns later follows a surprise DoW from Pedro, who actually managed to knock down walls on my capital, but fortunately I had the great engineer that gives free classical and medieval walls (thank you Gaul industrial district <3), so I quickly got some new walls up before his Cuirasiers could do serious harm. And then a city state emergency where Tomorys joins in on the party. Meanwhile, I find myself on the wrong side of a completely Nitre depletion in my territory (as well as the Russian territory which he borrowed me after some persuasion.
    Spoiler :
    upload_2020-9-26_15-58-23.png

At this point, I think my luck might just be about to turn because I bought some Nitre from my buddy Phillip, but those Scythian Cavaliers are really causing me pain. However, she stupidly insist on hammering them into my Encampments/Industrial Districts, which is pretty much suicide. So if there is an improvement, there's still some things that needs fine tuning.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Meluhhan, nzcamel and Casworon like this.
  13. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

My favorite part of the game is when a Barb Camp appears 2 hexes from your borders, the Scout spawns next to your borders and then you get to fight 700 Hammers worth of units for bad xp, 3 Era Score and pitiful Gold. That's when I love CivVI the most.

The AI has camped a unit inside your borders while waiting for its friends to show up for awhile now. I'm surprised if you haven't experienced it before. Generally the AI won't attack until they are perfectly positioned so you can plop a 1 charge Builder in the way of their approach and often bust up their plans. When they declare they get kicked out, so sometimes buying a hex can really mess up their formation too when they decide to attack. You can also preemptively declare on them and mangle their forward unit before friends show up. I wish the Bronze Working Eureka was Kill 3 Units rather than just Barbarians but at least you can get your Archery boost out of the ordeal.

14. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Who can remember back that far? What, 1996? I can't even remember what car I was driving then...

tedhebert likes this.
  15. Patine

Patine Deity

Those of us who still own and play it. I also belong to the Civ2 Scenario League. But so many people nowadays believe only the newest and shiniest iterations, and entertainments period, have any value, and old ones belong, inherently in the dustbin of history. But there are treasures and classics there, if you open your mind. ;)

Roald Amundsen likes this.
  16. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

I have a long history of not being the most warmongering of Civ players, going back to Civ one. I also haven't played the latest release, my leisure time is limited but I did stay up late last night finishing my latest game and I probably should be posting in the Diplomacy is broken thread as I won diplomatically even though I want to try and win scientifically. Anyway I do agree the AI is not the best at small unit tactics and in my latest game it seemed the AI wasn't big on building up it's military at all. I generally had the highest rated army however that is calculated and I generally had one unit or less per city. I did have city state allies if that figures into the estimate of military strength. The most unusual thing I noticed about the wars I did get dragged into was the shortage of oil. I even settled one last city way up North to get more oil. Basically with low oil for me and everyone I assume which units you were forced to use in the modern or later eras, the AT tank guy.

Tanks, infantry, various boats all require oil, so when a city flipped from the Maya on my borders I had to basically surround it with anti tank guys and wait for it to turn fully to my civilization. I read the patch notes and it didn't seem like major AI changes happened other than prioritizing science which I may have observed because even as Korea I generally ran third in beakers. I do think the regular updates and the new modes makes each game a bit different. I had on secret societies and random tech and social tree which probably also had a huge effect on warmongering. Having a lovely combined arms force looks good in pictures, but with the techs randomize you have to use what you have when war is declared on you and for me and even the AI that was AT guys as the default unit for much of the end game. The free city had mechanized infantry but all Maya and I could seem to build quickly was AT guys. I was net positive oil, but I was keeping a strategic reserve to fund (or expand) my navy, because the map was Islands and continents (I think) and I was spread out quite a bit on various continents.

So picking on the AI is common, but if there really is a scarcity of resources worldwide then your ability to have infantry, artillery, fast attacking forces and air and naval support could well be limited by lack of oil and you end up just building Anti-tank guys because they cost no resources and are quick to build and ship to the front.

Haig likes this.
  17. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

It's not my mind I need to open, it's my garage or wherever those disks ended up, LOL. Probably in a box next to the Apple 2C.

679x, Noble Zarkon and pjotroos like this.
  18. Patine

Patine Deity

Civ2 is not old enough to play on an Apple 2-series computer. But Ultima I-V rocked!

19. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Can confirm. I got warrior rushed by Matthias at the capital, he also pulled the same with horses later by going AROUND my CS allies and flanking me from the south where I had no units and DOW surprise war.

Of course by then I had walls, an encampment, and an Oppidum but points for effort.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  20. Patine

Patine Deity

The classic Vlad Tepes maneuver (though he came from the north, across the frozen over Danube, and he didn't COMPLETELY ignore the Ottoman Vassal Bulgarian villages before going after Mehmed - he slaughtered a few of them, but he did arbitrarily break a peace with the Ottomans - one established by his liege, who just happened to be Mattias Covinus).

Jkchart likes this.