1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] AIs become more clever

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

Warrior rushes and warrior camping along your borders is nothing new. Been around since the release of the game.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  2. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

in a game updated mid-game with the update, I can also say the AI appears to have become a lot more clever. Two cases in point:

1. The AI (Egypt) conducted a coordinated land AND sea attack against my coastal city -- with 5 naval units and 4 land units to completely take down my walls and take the city in two turns. Previous to yesterday, I cannot recall the AI ever taking a walled city in this manner. Oh, and even more impressive -- Egypt did this all amphibious -- they did not have a city on my continent and did it all via sea.

2. Not necessarily "new" but certainly refreshing -- in the same war, the allied city state to Egypt completely harassed me and forced me to continue to divert forces against them instead of being able to counter attacking Egypt. As such, as soon as I could get to a peace treaty, I did so to prevent more losses.

I am going to have to be much more alert now to this type of surprise attacks -- and with the dramatic ages (which I am currently not playing since this was a mid-game patch update), probably even more so.

tedhebert, Datgingah, Jkchart and 2 others like this.
  3. rastak

rastak Emperor

Yea, I started computer gaming with a Texas Instruments TI-99 in like 1983. Commie 64 was it until about 1987-89. Not sure when I switched to the 8088 architecture.

Fun stuff. Civ I was the most mind blowing game this side of Geopolitique 1990.

4. Patine

Patine Deity

No, kidding? My first computer was an ancient TI one, too (I can't remember for the life of me if was TI-99, specifically, but it was a TI).

5. rastak

rastak Emperor

Probably the TI-99, it was pretty popular and cheap as it was being discontinued. I had no money back then....

6. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Never got into the fantasy stuff that much, I passed on it in favor of military games and aviation sims. The IIc mention was for humorous effect: sold mine at a garage sale many years ago. I got a Mac 512 in '85 and have been PC exclusive since around 1990 or so. Remember the days of playing with the upper bits your PC's 1MB of RAM? Fun, fun, fun.

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have seen this stuff for a few months with warrior whistling over others.
    Today I had an archer shooting at a walled cities encampment and the encampment never fired back for 20 turns while I whittled down its walls, same old rubbish.

Meluhhan, MrRadar and 8housesofelixir like this.
  8. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

The AI has been pretty good in the early game for some time now, on higher difficulties they can easily crush you and they're always ahead in science/culture. What I find frustrating is their inability to convert this into a victory, something goes wrong in the mid to late game where the AI just seems to meander about pointlessly.

9. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

It´s not only the state of AI but rather that a lot of the game mechanics reward being successful by making it easier to be even more successful.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  10. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Perhaps a side effect of the AIs caring more about science - gone are the days where everyone votes for the city center when the WC debates about city development:

WCResolution100PercentFasterCampusBuildings.jpg

Stilgar08 and 8housesofelixir like this.
  11. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

That would be a good change as that resolution is far too predictable. I'm almost positive I've seen Campus win in the past (only once, though), so we'll have to see if this is the exception rather than the new rule.

12. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Seems to me that, if they don't improve AI in the next Civ generation game, it will cause a lot of old timers to defect. I play few games any more, this is one of them, and I never even finish the ones I started out of frustration with a number of things.

comatosedragon likes this.
  13. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Well, Holy Sites were pretty close here - and then there was my single vote, which I spended on city centers (but I mainly did that because I expected the usual predictable AI behaviour and wanted that cheap diploatic victory point...:D) I will have an eye on it...or maybe others could share their impressions on this topic as well?

More voting stuff...not sure if it more than a fluke or maybe already since an earlier update...I have seen it three times in my current game that a disaster emergency was voted down. In one case I poured in some votes for that outcome (and narrowly suceeded), but in the to other two cases I wasn't involved in the vote at all, so the AI managed it alone :)

14. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

I noticed the same myself.
    Recent Deity game with me as Rome had my neighbour Hungary send a warrior next to my capital, and about 5-10 turns later two more arrived (and another warrior/horseman en route as well, according to my scout).
    Granted, I did start to produce Legions because I was planning to take down Hungary anyway, and once I did start getting enough army score the warriors pulled back and gathered at his border city (perhaps anticipating that it was the most vulnerable city).

What I found curious though is that when the warriors were standing next to my capital, there was a barbarian scout happily passing by them on his way to me.
    The scout did not turn as he saw the Hungarian warriors (it was a small land strip of 2-3 hexes), but continued forward to spot my city, then returned the same way he came (passing the Hungarian warriors again on the small strip), while the Hungarian warriors did exactly f*** all to attack him.
    Strange behaviour from both sides there.

15. Victoria

barb scouts move in a single 3 tile move so can accidentally become adjacent, but did they then continue to move adjacent? I am interested because when they do become adjacent their orders normally change to fleeing.

16. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

No idea (can't recall it, but could check a replay if needed), I just saw that strange behaviour and thought it odd.
    Usually what I see that barb scouts do, it that once they spot a warrior, the scout usually prefers to go past a city in order to get away from the warriors (if no other route of escape is open).
    This one went right back instead, and the warriors did nothing about it either.
    Very odd.

17. Victoria

As I assume it works (similar to barb raids) the AI has decided to attack you and just needs to get its forces there. This I imagine means they are under muster instructions so I-guess their priority is to stay near the mustering co-ordinates. Best guess.

18. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Prince

Yes and the scout just parks his own self on your border for a couple of turns with a big exclamation mark hoping for you to notice him so that you can follow him into his camp. That is how these units are programmed. It over rules the other warrior. And vice versa

19. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

I'm finding Deity a *lot* more difficult and start dependent now. As others have noted, the AI has become much better about co-ordinating an early game Warrior rush and they will be very aggressive about it. I can only get Deity games up and running now if I have a very defensible start location or if I start a bit more isolated. Religious Victory is becoming super tough, I am very sceptical about people who rate Byzantium even at higher difficulties because frankly if I waste early Production on Holy Sites on Deity I get absolutely steamed by the AI unless they're quite far away.

I am appreciating Nubia a *lot* more, the good old Potato Archers can be life-savers for the player.

oedali likes this.
  20. Cpt Chaos

Cpt Chaos Chieftain

My most recent game (deity, continents, large, standard speed) as Mongolia had me spawn next to Gilgabro, so I didn't have to worry about war until I was ready (meanwhile he went off and killed Mansa Musa - his turn to do it that game). However, when I was ready to take him on, he already had coursers, and medieval walls in all of his main cities, by turn 85. This is really early, and almost ruined my game. Was this a fluke? Are the AI getting better? Maybe a bit of both. However, it didn't ruin my game and I (inevitably) ended up snowballing.

tedhebert likes this.