1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI's favorite techs

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by 3Davideo, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 3Davideo

3Davideo Chieftain

There was a thread about what techs the AI favored researching. I opened it from a link, but my mom closed it and i can't find it again (browser history is off). Anyone help? I think it was on vanilla, but not sure.

2. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

3. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

4. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

Looking at the favorite and least favorite techs for the AI, one things sort of jumps out at me. That is some of the techs for Space Ship parts are not likely to be researched by the AI. Has anyone ever seen the AI launch a Space Ship? Based on this, that would be a low probability.

5. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I have lost to a SS launch, so it does happen.

6. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

Interesting, did you trade any of the necessary techs to the AI, or did it do all of its own research?

Also, is there any evidence of the AI doing what I would call collective research? I.E., each AI civilization researches a different tech and then trades it to all of the others.

7. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

I, too, have lost to a SS launch & did not trade any of the necessary techs (don't think I really had any, & certainly not any that were tradable). I don't know if the AIs did collective research or not (probably not; there weren't that many left at that level), but of course, they will trade among themselves at the drop of a hat. So the difference is probably moot.

kk

8. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

So it would appear then that the more AI civilizations in contact with each other, trading advances, the harder it will be for the Human player to stay ahead. It this a correct assumption?

9. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I would say yes the more contacts, the more trading occurs. At higher levels, that means a pre-1000AD launch is possible for a very good player.

10. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Possible, yes. And trading plays a key role at higher levels. But, still, there exist more pre-1000 AD launches on record at lower levels than at upper levels.

11. Calis

Calis on time

Techs are cheaper on lower levels. That makes them faster although you won't trade much with the AI.

In my tiny emperor game (also mentioned in Spoonwoods link), I just bought one tech from the AI in the Medieval Age. After that I had to research every single tech on my own throughout the game (except for the free techs of the changes of era, of course).