1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI's Offer Less for Resources Over Time

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Halcyan2, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

I've found that as the game progresses, AI's consistently offer less gold for luxuries and strategic resources.

Why is that?

Do they need happiness less? Do they value gold more or value the resources less?

Or is it a side effect of the diplomacy system (where they dislike you over time)?

In contrast, the value of Great Works increases significantly over time.

2. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I haven't noticed this.

How much an AI will offer for a luxury is highly variable, likely based on an evaluation of how much the luxury will help them. If you trade them 1 luxury in a turn, sometimes they'll offer you less for a 2nd luxury that turn, sometimes they'll offer more. I suspect this is based on whether the luxury will bump them up over a bonus threshold or not.

Whether or not they dislike you doesn't seem to play into the trade offer. That was a Civ 5 thing, not a Civ 6 thing. Maybe if they really hate you. It's been so long since I've conquered an AI city, I forget. Between orange faces and green faces, though, it doesn't seem to have an impact.

I've observed no consistent changes in their offers over time, other than early on they don't seem to need luxuries as much, but as the game proceeds and their population explodes, it becomes more and more likely that at least one AI leader will offer 30+ gold per turn for a luxury (pre Medieval era the best offers are likely to be mid-teens on a per turn basis.)

My observations are based on Deity, standard settings. Might vary on other levels.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Most likely some negative diplomacy modifiers are stacking over time. My biggest one I get hit for is warmongering. Even after the penalty falls to zero I still find the ai offers me less for trades.