1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Al-Qaeda Endorses McCain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JeffIllinois, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Emperor

Did the Taliban really lose a whole country? In much of the country, it is as strong as ever. Its power is expanding in much of Pakistan, much of the world hates the US. In the 7 years we have been fighting the War on Terror, what exactly have we accomplished? We have assured the existence of Islamic fundamentalism for the next few decades.

Anyway, can you think of a better recruiting tool for the Osamaites(patent pending) then to have the US attack two muslims countries? Every bombing by the US resulting in collateral damage drives more recruits to Osama. The US, while hurting Osama and his cadre of followers in the short term, has ensured its survival. The Islamist movement is sustained by the blood of the innocents. Innocents killed by every power that comes against it. If you want to snuff out the Islamist movement, wrap up the Iraq war, take a new approach in Afghanistan, and invest heavily in the infrastructure of Islamic countries. The approach we are taking is too reminiscent to the strategy of the cold war in which we supported ABC(Anything But Communism) countries through military investment. "Every military is fully prepared to fight the last war". That rings true now. What we did only works when fighting a "War" with a super power such as the Soviets. We are fighting a stateless entity that feeds of the discontent of the people. Communism was similar except for one simple reason, it was backed by a major state and fed by that state. We must combat the underlying causes, not the symptoms.

And nukes, really? Hell, the Soviets didn't even do that.

This is not a conventional war with winners and losers. There is simply a lot of shades of gray.

2. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

You left out the part where they used to completely control the whole thing. Now they do not. They are trying to make a comeback, are only succeeding in a few regions, and by trying to recast an imperfect success as a total failure you committed a pretty nasty debate foul. :mad:

Disagree here as well. You're not an Islamic fundamentalist if you're dead. Dead people can't commit suicide bombings. About all they do is stink and attract flies.

Yes: YOU.

Terrorism doesn't exist because of George Bush raining Tomahawk missiles and Paveway guided bombs on Iraq. Terrorism exists because most of the people in the Free World care about each other and fear for each other's safety. You hardly ever see terrorist attacks in any dictatorship (China, North Korea and Saddam's Iraq have no such problems) because in these cases THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE.

Why do you think children get kidnapped? Because the parents care about the child and want it back unharmed. Kidnapping doesn't exist because the parents did evil things and deserve to get their children taken away. Kidnapping exists because human compassion creates an avenue of attack.

Kidnapping exists because the kidnappers are evil scum. And terrorism exists because the terrorists are.....here it comes......evil scum.

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Simple. Press record: "I support who-ever". Giggle and elbow your neighbour terrorist.

I'm waiting until a tape shows up with support for M. Litoris on it.

If that happens I will become a terrorist apologist.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I believe it was someone from Hezbollah, not Al Quaeda, who endorsed Obama.

5. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Emperor

They never controlled the whole country, there was something called the northern allaince if you remembered.

So you can kill a movement? Only way you can do that is if you nuked the whole middle east. Build up the Islamic world so youths can have a better option in life. Poverty and discontent is a main driver of terrorist recruitment along with war.

Never said Bush created the fundamentalist movement, he simply poured gas on the fire.

Anyway, your last point... well, you have to explain it better, I don't get it.

And btw, there has been a Muslim insurgency in the Xinjiang region of China for decades.

6. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

What was the alternative, for him to sit with his thumb up his ass like Clinton did for 8 years? Screw that.

7. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

An eleventh-hour endorsement from Captain Badguy himself would be the kiss of death for either campaign. Trouble is, nobody has seen Bin Laden for nearly two years now. Given his love for home videos, one can't help but wonder whether he still lives. He's known to have health problems, and living in a tribal warzone with the expected level medical services can't be good for you, even when half the world isn't trying to explode you.

And yeah, the Taliban are still causing a lot of trouble in Afghanistan and the Afghan parts of Pakistan.

Did you know: Pakistan is an acronym. Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Indus, Sindh, and 'stan' is Persian for land (also the end of Baluchistan, the other region). Artificial countries, eh? Stupid British Empire. Almost did more damage collapsing than it did existing, and that says a lot. And it was the nice empire. Relatively.

8. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

False dichotomies aside, sitting with your thumb up your ass is generally a better alternative than pouring gas on the fire.

9. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

Doesn't paki mean "pure" in Urdu or Arabic? Thought that was where it came from. Or is that just a spin after the fact?

10. Death_Machine

Maybe if Clinton would have done something at all to counter the several terrorist actions during his presidency then we wouldn't have been left to deal with W & 9/11. It is a fact that his being a poll driven presidential wuss emboldened Osama to take action.

11. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

A couple of weeks ago when all the American flags and eagles started popping up, I considered a dead american bald eagle as avvie. For some reason I figured that might be worse than swastikas for some of our friends, so I decided against it :)

Glad I did, because I kinda prefer the American Beagle anyway. It's cute :love:

12. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

hmmmmmmmmmm

13. Death_Machine

NO!!! But wait, it was Bush's fault. I know he was still in Texas & not yet the president, but he is to blame!!!! :lol:

14. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

9/11 happened in '95?

The CIA reports given on an eventuality of al-quida attacks were given to Clinton?

Yeah, that's it.

15. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

It's one of those clever acronyms that forms a vaguely relevant word (cf PATRIOT Act, say). The guy who came up with it gave slightly different explanations of it at different times, but Punjab, Kashmir, and "Afghania" (ie. the Northwest Frontier) are constants. The pak "pure" bit is actually Persian, according to Wikipedia.

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

OMFG al Qaeda is a muslim

17. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

Both: it's one of those acronyms contrived to look like a nice word. Not Arabic, though: Persian, and by extension Urdu - Urdu takes it's 'high' words from Persian, like English does with Greek/Latin. It's actually the only real difference between Urdu and Hindi - Hindi uses Sanskrit, instead.

Persia gets confused with Arabia a lot, actually, but they've not a lot in common. Not even religion, strictly, as Iran is majority Shia while everyone else (except Iraq and I think Azerbaijan) is Sunni. Think Protestant/Catholic/Orthodox. It's kinda all scimitars and dynamite mysteryland as far as Western culture/education goes, which is kinda a shame.

Edit: Having looked it up to check it seems I was wrong about the 'i' in Pakistan - it doesn't stand for Indus, it's just there to make it sound better. Boring.

Edit Edit: vv Fair play - it's not an unreasonable assumption, given how languages borrow from each other. vv

18. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

Thanks TLC and Halcyon. I know Farsi and Arabic are completely different languages, but I wasn't aware Urdu was more closely related to Farsi than Arabic. I thought it was basically an Indian language which borrowed from Arabic, not Farsi.

19. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Well there's going to inevitibly be a bunch of terms derived from Arabic due to being muslim, but the language was the vehicle of a Persianized Turkic aristocracy, the descendants of the Timurids, which was previously in Iran before they conquered India.

As for it being more related to Farsi than Arabic, of course it is - they're both Indo-European languages of the Indo-Aryan branch. :p

20. knowltok2

knowltok2 Deity

Attrition and bodycount worked so well in Vietnam to stamp out communism.