Al-Qaeda launches media jihad

Aleph-Null

What Would Optimus Do?
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13920818

Launch media jihad, says Qaeda group

By Habib Trabelsi in Dubai
Friday, 19 August , 2005, 10:57

An Al Qaeda linked-group has launched what it calls a media 'jihad' to 'terrorise' US-led forces in Iraq and their families by bombarding them with emails and by posting gruesome photos online.
The group, calling itself the 'Brigade of Media Jihad', called on its militants to 'post terrifying pictures on the Internet, in order to terrorise the enemy," said a statement, on an Islamist website whose authenticity could not be verified.

"Our objective is to undermine the morale of our enemies, dash their hopes and dreams and reveal the truth of what is happening in Iraq. The media war is an integral part of the war on the ground," said the statement. Editor's Choice
Inside al-Qaeda's 'web jihad'
Jihad in America Continues
Jihad: play the game

The group said it has launched its media offensive in several languages 'on hundreds of Internet forums and through horrific emails sent to enemy soldiers and their families in order to terrorise them and break their morale'.

"We have succeeded in attacking 1,600 forums and electronic addresses through which our messages have reached 60,000 people, including soldiers, their families and other public figures," it said.

The relatives of US soldiers are being shown 'the reality that their sons are living' in Iraq, the group boasted. The statement accused 'Crusaders' of controlling the mainstream media 'and so we decided to use an important outlet, the Internet, that they cannot control'.

Islamist groups, including those linked to Al Qaeda, have posted hundreds of statements on the Internet over the past two years to claim attacks on US-led forces in Iraq and Iraqis and others who work for them.

The online statements are often accompanied by video to provide proof of bombings, kidnappings and killings. The brigade claims to be part of the "World Islamic Media Front," which has uploaded on to Internet sites footage of military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places where Islamist militants operate.

Last week, it posted a film, 'Top Ten', in which it showed a selection of attacks on US troops carried out by the Islamic Army in Iraq and the Al-Qaeda Organisation in the Land of Two Rivers, the group of Al-Qaeda frontman Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The footage showed the bodies of alleged US soldiers, mutilated and burnt.

Arab satellite channels, mainly the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera, regularly air the videos, making a point to say that their authenticity cannot be verified.

The US administration has repeatedly accused Arab television channels, particularly Al-Jazeera, of being a key tool for extremist propaganda through its coverage of attacks in Iraq.

The brigade also published 'a technical document to help the mujahedeen make the best use of the camera'. It advises militants to take close-ups of the site of an operation before it is carried out, 'film as clearly as possible images of horror caused by the explosion... and record the wills of martyrdom-seekers'.

In the latest edition of its electronic publication 'Dhirwat al-Sanam', or the camel's hump, the "information department" of Zarqawi's group said militants should not just carry out military operations, but also explain their rationale "in order to reflect a positive image of the mujahed, which has been tarnished by US-Zionist propaganda."

Thats really low. At least they wont be spamming CFC, the mods shall protect us from the terrorists.Meanwhile, I might have to get my junk mail blocker theropy.

You would think that such tactics would make it easier for the US to hunt them down.

:rotfl: :rotfl: Spamming thats funny

DEATH TO THES INFIDELS WITH FULL INBOXS!!!!!! :nuke: :crazyeye:

Dont they realise that us 'corrupt, immoral' westerners wouldnt find that really bad. Also, its pretty easy to spot a spam email, no-one reads them anyway. Pretty stupid idea IMO, but middle america will undoubtably fear for there kids 'fragile minds' if they were to see pictures.

Babbler said:
Great, just what the world needs -- terrorist spam. I always knew that spammers and telemarketers were evil, just not that evil.
Great, just what the world needs -- US justification to tighten grip on the Web (in the interest of freedom of course). You know, like that village in Vietnam that was burned down to "save it".

Great, just what the world needs -- US justification to tighten grip on the Web (in the interest of freedom of course). You know, like that village in Vietnam that was burned down to "save it".
Here we go again:rolleyes: Somebody or some group other than the US does something bad, and instead of talking about the actions of that group, the discussion is steered toward a condemnation of the US. Doesnt matter what the topic is. Terrorists kill 3000 people? Lets not talk about that, lets talk instead about how evil the US is. Terrorists blow up trains in Spain and the UK? Lets not talk about what they did, lets talk about how evil the US is. Terrorists using spam to send frightening pictures to people? Lets not talk about that, lets talk about how evil the US is.

That is very sad.... just because before this moment there was one less front and one more thing both sides could enjoy....if you know what I mean....

Bozo Erectus said:
Here we go again:rolleyes: Somebody or some group other than the US does something bad, and instead of talking about the actions of that group, the discussion is steered toward a condemnation of the US. Doesnt matter what the topic is. Terrorists kill 3000 people? Lets not talk about that, lets talk instead about how evil the US is. Terrorists blow up trains in Spain and the UK? Lets not talk about what they did, lets talk about how evil the US is. Terrorists using spam to send frightening pictures to people? Lets not talk about that, lets talk about how evil the US is.
You know.... I understand you :) US bashing has to stop if done for the cause of it....

At some point, it becomes so clear that youre dealing with something akin to a religion, or a phobia, that after awhile you dont even get mad anymore.

Bozo Erectus said:
I'm not being irrational. It was precisely moments like these the US Administration has chosen to curb personal freedoms and to adopt attitudes akin (though NOT there yet) to that of a police state. Do you really believe that say the Patriot Act will help fight Terrorism?

Aphex, you still dont get it. Somebody made a thread about actions that terrorists have taken. Why not discuss it, instead of making it about things you dont like about the US? See what I mean? Im not picking on you, btw, it happens constantly, in all sorts of threads and out there in the media. Its a reflexive reaction I see all the time. Group A does X to Group B: so anyway, isnt the US government terrible?:confused: Now that Ive pointed it out to you, Im sure you'll start noticing it too.

Let us discuss it then. I can be paranoid at times, but often these have turned out to be reasonable expectations.

The simple fact that some loonatics will post pictures on the web is not as revolting as the article implies. At best, as annoying as your usual spam attack (like that we witnessed some month ago).

:lol: :rotfl: That's hilarious!

They obviously have not heard of spammers, Rotten.com, or far-left anti-Iraqi sites (the latter two show tons of "terrifying" pictures). The market's already saturated. ;)

Bozo Erectus said:
Aphex, you still dont get it. Somebody made a thread about actions that terrorists have taken. Why not discuss it, instead of making it about things you dont like about the US? See what I mean? Im not picking on you, btw, it happens constantly, in all sorts of threads and out there in the media. Its a reflexive reaction I see all the time. Group A does X to Group B: so anyway, isnt the US government terrible?:confused: Now that Ive pointed it out to you, Im sure you'll start noticing it too.

Perhaps because otherwise, there's not much to discuss.

"Those terrorist jerks are evil."

"Yep."

"Yep."

I mean, we all wholeheartedly agree, but you aren't going to be discussing anything. Whereas the US response to this *is* related to the thread topic, and *is* important to many of the posters on here.

North, sure its related, and its worthy of discussion. Im just pointing out what usually happens. Somebody makes a thread about something bad a terrorist group did. The first 5 or 6 posts are like what you described, then the next 10 pages are about evil acts committed by the US in the past 100 years. Theres never any balance to the discussions. For some reason, people arent comfortable talking about acts commited by terrorists, but they love to talk about acts committed by the US.

Aphex_Twin said:
Great, just what the world needs -- US justification to tighten grip on the Web (in the interest of freedom of course).

Well, I have yet to hear of a single individual actually getting any of this supposed "terror spam", let alone seeing any evidence of a full-on "jihad" of it. Anyone here get any emails from Osama? No? Didn't think so. Yet another statement from "an Islamist website whose authenticity could not be verified" that, purely coincidentally, provides justification for the kind of authoritarian policies our respective governments want. That nobody can verify the website, the group, or the veracity of the statement with even a shred of evidence, is, apparently, immaterial - like most gospels, it appears to be Revealed Truth.

One does begin to wonder who is really conducting a jihad against the internet.

That being said, there's nothing uniquely American about it ... China, England, Canada, you name it, they love this stuff. It's Government.

They can show no pictures more terrible than what I have seen from goatse....

Bozo Erectus said:
North, sure its related, and its worthy of discussion. Im just pointing out what usually happens. Somebody makes a thread about something bad a terrorist group did. The first 5 or 6 posts are like what you described, then the next 10 pages are about evil acts committed by the US in the past 100 years. Theres never any balance to the discussions. For some reason, people arent comfortable talking about acts commited by terrorists, but they love to talk about acts committed by the US.

I think that's because you'll find very few who disagree here about the disgustingness (sp?) of the terrorist actions, but the USA's actions are much more controversial. Hence it spawns greater discussion. That's all I can tell about it, I don't think we really think the USA is way worse than Al Quaeda.

Top Bottom