Alaska! The mod.

Urbannaja

Chieftain
Well...I finished my first attempt at a mod. Thanks to everyone on the forums, especially Uluk whose FinMod I used as an example the whole way.

Alaskans:

Full list of cities
Most CivPedia entries
Big Dipper flag mod
Dog Sled unique unit (replaces scout...has the wolf appearance and the ability to make roads but not railroads....might be overpowered but I always wanted my scouting units to be more useful =)

Leaderhead is Curt Schilling - Expansive/Organized and favoring Free speech(yes, the pitcher lol). It's not exactly a historically accurate mod, really just for fun and Curt is my favorite famous Alaskan (plus it was his birthday on the day I started making the mod..Nov 14th)

Thanks!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/AKMod.zip

...Alaska doesn't use dog sleds. Most of the cities are on the coast which are tropical rainforests. Dog sleds are mostly used in northern Canada.

THe cities rarely get more than 2 feet of snow in the winter, but get around 200 days of rain during the rest of the year.

Gulio said:
...Alaska doesn't use dog sleds. Most of the cities are on the coast which are tropical rainforests. Dog sleds are mostly used in northern Canada.

THe cities rarely get more than 2 feet of snow in the winter, but get around 200 days of rain during the rest of the year.

Well.....for one, I'm from Fairbanks. We get an average of about 12 inches of snow each month from October through Feb....about half that of the "tropical" coastal cities you speak of such as Anchorhage or Valdez (my childhood would have seen alot less shoveling with only 2 feet of snow lol). Actually, there are no rainforests in Alaska as you say, the only rainforest in north america is in the Olympic Mts of Washington state (temperate rainforest). Fairbanks receives an annual average of 10 inches of rain per year. And on dogsledding.....ever hear of the Iditarod? Or the Alaskan gold rush? Sure, dog sledding has been used elsewhere as well....but as the mod is for fun, I think it's pretty fun. Thanks for the reply!

Hi, I took a quick look into your mod (didn't really install it, just browsed through the zip file). I found out a few things you might want to change:

1. There's an empty art0.fpk folder under \assets. Not a big deal, though (in fact my latest version of FinMod has a Thumbs.db file somewhere inside the zip. Bad mistake :blush:).
  2. It seems that you made the same mistake like me in putting the button graphics both in the *atlas.dds files and in separate .dds files. My updated version of FinMod doesn't have the redundant buttons in the *atlas.dds files anymore. If you want to see how it's done check out the artdefines from the latest version (very easy to fix).
  3. It's also possible to leave out the original civ4 text defined in various files under the \Text folder. Simply make a single file (the name doesn't matter) where you put all your custom text. This combined with 2) saved me around a meg of space. :eek:

The UU is pretty interesting, in a wierd kind of way. ;) Honestly, I can't see myself playing with Alaskans anytime soon, but what the heck, I bet the alaskan people themselves will love this! :D

Cheers,
Uluk

Gulio said:

Tropical Rainforests? Southeast has Temperate Rainforests.

I can assure that dog sleds are indeed used in Alaska, and the interior of the states gets lots of snow. But I live in the coastal Southeast, were we do get lots of rain (Not 200 inches!) and little snow.

Is Petersburg in the city list?

Gulio said:

This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?:mischief:

Uluk said:
Hi, I took a quick look into your mod (didn't really install it, just browsed through the zip file). I found out a few things you might want to change:

1. There's an empty art0.fpk folder under \assets. Not a big deal, though (in fact my latest version of FinMod has a Thumbs.db file somewhere inside the zip. Bad mistake :blush:).
  2. It seems that you made the same mistake like me in putting the button graphics both in the *atlas.dds files and in separate .dds files. My updated version of FinMod doesn't have the redundant buttons in the *atlas.dds files anymore. If you want to see how it's done check out the artdefines from the latest version (very easy to fix).
  3. It's also possible to leave out the original civ4 text defined in various files under the \Text folder. Simply make a single file (the name doesn't matter) where you put all your custom text. This combined with 2) saved me around a meg of space. :eek:

The UU is pretty interesting, in a wierd kind of way. ;) Honestly, I can't see myself playing with Alaskans anytime soon, but what the heck, I bet the alaskan people themselves will love this! :D

Cheers,
Uluk

Thanks...I'll have to fix those =) I was honestly just very happy to finally have the flag/UU working. The game seems very picky about the xml text...

I'll add Petersburg when I revise it as well...I basically just got tired of typing cities in lol

Any Ideas for a second LH?

Alaska doesn't use dog sleds.

Like hell. We have a long and distinguished tradition of dogsled racing here. Look up "Iditarod" sometime.

Most of the cities are on the coast which are tropical rainforests.

I've lived my entire life in Anchorage. Trust me, it's not a tropical anything.

Any Ideas for a second LH?

Norman Vaughan!

I made my own Alaskan mod for Civ III (purely for my own amusement; I never posted it). I used CivArmy's "Quebec" civ for it, re-naming Champlain "Norman Vaughan", the Voyageur "Mountain Man", and all the cities and leaders accordingly. :D

From what I know Jay Hammond was a hell of a governor, i may also suggest Ernest Gruening, who was territorial governor for 10 years, and after statehood, one of Alaska's two first seantors.

Thanks Urbannaja, another Alaskan (couldn't you tell from the username?) looking forward to giving your mod a try. If we're actually voting on leaders I'd say Vaughn and Hammond would be good picks, as well as the less sexy but omni-present Ted Stevens. Maybe even go with Seward for buying Alaska from the Russians. If you want to stick with sports, Scotty Gomez (NHL) is from Anchorage, and Mark Schlereth aka 'stinky' the ex-Broncos lineman is from Alaska as well.

Gulio said:

HAHAHAHA thanks for the laugh buddy. I was going to rip this further but its pretty much been taken care of by others. Lets just say that this is the perfect example of 'if you don't know what you're talking about don't talk at all'

=/ Maybe a Native Alaskan leader head. >>;; I live in Alaska during the summer, so I probably shouldn't comment... But Everyone in washington thinks Alaska is just one big Icecube with a bunch of Hillbillies... ;_; Mean and stupid they be.

Sgt Froggy said:
=/ Maybe a Native Alaskan leader head. >>;; I live in Alaska during the summer, so I probably shouldn't comment... But Everyone in washington thinks Alaska is just one big Icecube with a bunch of Hillbillies... ;_; Mean and stupid they be.
Why is evreyone making such a big fuss over an ex-russian colony that was sold to the U.S.A?:lol:

alms66 said:
This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?:mischief:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one! One of the hardest laughs I've ever had @Civ Fanatics!

Alaska doesn't usually have rainforests:lol:

Top Bottom