Alazkan is not happy

zup

Emperor
We all know Alazkan should be renamed 'the terminator'. However, in FF he has to give up his claim to the position of 'the most broken mass butcher'. The title goes to Mizquizli today. And here's why:

First of all, Mizquizli can be upgraded from either an assassin or a priest of Agruonn. I won't go into how dumb it would be to use the latter. So we stick to the former. Assassins are recon units, while Mizquizli is a disciple unit. So he Now a properly built mizquizli is only upgraded once that assassin has taken every promotion an assassin can receive. It takes some 950+ experience (less for a charismatic leader), when you include guerilla 2 and woodsman 2 (unrestricted leaders). I just wanted to be sure I did not end up missing one so I took the long way. The only thing he won't get that Alazkan does is subdue beasts. With Blood of the phoenix, sheut stone, great commander, valor and spamming the assassin with all the equipment (empty bier + nether blade + gela = awesome) you get your hands on, it is possible. At the first glance, it would seem as though you should strive to get him to worship Esus, but that is not such a good decision. Hidden nationality is useful for killing stuff while at peace but just declare a war and then use some nice stack for protecting your would-be hero. Esus gives him no spells and since he has divine and channeling 3, that's horrible waste. Rather, get him Empyrean, for the awesome crown of brilliance. Order is wasted since he will not hang in your cities (though he makes an awesome city defender). Kilmorph is not bad either but he does not really need earthquake. OO tsunami is only useful near water and requires only channeling 2 iirc, get it for one of your shadow priests (who are made from uber assassins like Miz) if you really want it. Veil gives nice direct damage too but once again, it only takes channeling 2 and is not as good as cob (which you don't have to recast every turn). FoL is worthless because Mizquizli does not build empires, he tears them down. And he does not need summons.

Now lets look at Miz himself. Invisible, marksman (though he already had), channeling 3, divine, shadow 1, body 1, medic 1. He can get march promotion to heal on move and faster in enemy territory, or cast regeneration on himself for even better. With medic 1, he already heals faster than Alazkan. He can haste himself too to score one more kill per turn. He only has -25% city strength vs Alazkan's -50% and that's a huge difference. Miz is inherently stronger too 8/7 +4 poison vs 6/4 +2 poison. Get the picture? He can go wherever he likes and does not have to care about open borders. And unlike hn Alazkan, he won't be attacked (and possibly overwhelmed by megastacks of (still) neutral parties. Once Miz is upgraded, he has access to disciple promotions. So he does not run out of promotions to get too quickly. He can immediately cure himself of poison and disease, which Alazkan needs help with (especially the latter). Finally his last free promotion, cannibalize. 10% heal after he kills stuff. With 4-8 first strikes and immunity to them, what are the chances he suffers more damage per combat? Multiple such combats in row? Just get him in some nice chokepoint city and he can probably take 200 unit megastacks alone.

So Alazkan goes crazy and attacks Miz and ends up gifting him a few xp and the uber mirror. Just think of how broken he will be then. However, this kind of a monster is so hard work to get he should not be nerfed any. If you ever get Miz this good, you deserve to steamroll to victory.

lol thats the extreme end of the stick...
I usually just get the "useful" recon promos on the assassin before upgrading him. Not to mention, as the XP gap increases astronomically as u level up, if you do get that much xp as an assassin, you lose out on practically ALL of the disciple upgrades. Theoretically your suggestion is good, but practically, it'll be wiser to upgrade him over once you get the useful upgrades done. Mizquizli has some very nice promos of his own that deserve to be upgraded quick, not taking 100-200 xp for each upgrade. Also, having him earlier when you have a strong enough assassin allows you to dominate that much earlier.
But... back to the original topic, I'd agree that his theoretical potential is waaaay higher than Alazkan, however, you get him waaaay later than our Salv friend.
As for the point of Miz tearing down empires, one thing I love about him is that he's classified as a disciple unit, having access to the command promos. Once I get him to be of sufficient strength to kill most units, I do prefer to forgo the rest of the combatwise promos and pick up the command promos. Miz culls the weak easily with marksmanship, but whats better when they end up garrisonning your captured cities for you while you steamroll on? :lol:

It all depends. But as I said, I just wanted to make absolutely sure he got everything he could get. Many of the same promotions are available to disciples as recon, so you don't have to take them all first. It is true Miz is a much later hero than Al, and correctly is stronger. But since even Al will never become obsolete, Miz is a gamewinner alone. Perhaps a human player who knows what he's doing can get him but AI hasn't got a clue.

It is also a question of playstyle. I rarely begin my final push to world domination (my favorite victory condition) until I hit Future Tech. I like to use the endgame toys.

doesn't sound like a very challenging game, if you can max all of your promotions without problems. He's a powerful hero, but I haven't found him overpowering on higher levels, where you need the benefit to survive.

You've also completely forgotten that both lizardmen races are agnostic :p

theyre agnostic, but not intolerant. Units created in cities with the religion (which can expand into lizzie lands) have a chance of following that religion.

And as I said, you can go unrestricted leaders.

But I was against Svartalfar who summoned Basium. It was interesting, good thing I managed to farm that xp from our mutual enemy sidar before those two turned on me. It was not a particularly difficult game but I have no use for any difficulty except noble. No handicap for me nor AI.

Top Bottom