ALC 27: Churchill of England

I'd say with the help of the forum, pretty good. Almost at parity with tech lead after an expansion war can't be bad.

And there's no way in hell that function is going to differentiate to zero. ;) Nested stuff like x^x and the division will wreck you.

Well you can try. ;)

Looks good, trade with Togu for machinery, unless you plan to bulb Lib. NE is needed, although perhaps not in London; bureau is better suited for running cottages, not specs. Canterbury perhaps? It has the food for it.

I already traded with Toku/Machinery at the last turn of the round. :)
Hm ... which city to put the NE in ... London has better prod but it's bureaucray - powered.

What does that mean in terms of the UK education system? Is that second year of University? I kinda look forward to it in a weird way(calculus); anyway I will read part 2 in the morning after I have got some shut eye. Looking forward to it! :)

I will edit this post with my thoughts.

These ALC's usually have more activity than this. I know DMOC is busy but there's usually more discussion. I've been gone a while is this normal?
I don't know if it's normal or not. I only peeked in tonight because I was bored and wondered what was going down. Had I known this was deity I would have read through it from day one.

Make note of that for future thread-titles. :p

What does that mean in terms of the UK education system? Is that second year of University? I kinda look forward to it in a weird way(calculus); anyway I will read part 2 in the morning after I have got some shut eye. Looking forward to it! :)

I will edit this post with my thoughts.

I live in the United States, and am a high school senior right now taking AP Calculus BC. :) Algebra was in 10th grade (and 8th-9th grade too).

I don't know if it's normal or not. I only peeked in tonight because I was bored and wondered what was going down. Had I known this was deity I would have read through it from day one.

Make note of that for future thread-titles. :p

Nice to see you. :) Any comments such as "No cottgaes?"

Well, since you asked…

That music gambit, as you called it. Was exactly that, a Gambit for trying to get it so late. As expected, you failed to get the GA. Well, no game breaker there, but at that point you should have bowed out, since you had no intention of building Sistine and there was no longer the big GA payoff.

What you should have done at that point, was teched after theatres. This one isn’t beelined by the AI’s so you would still be able to trade it around for plenty of stuff. But also importantly, it would then give you an additional 20% discount to then finish off teching Music.

Earlier you were debating on going after TGL at around 750 BC I believe. This one is hardly considered a gambit. IIRC you had no marble, and were not industrious. You also had no real production piles around and since often TGL is gone 1000 BC… I think you were grasping at straws there :p I try to aim for it being completed before 500 BC, and this will still cause a lot of failures.

Anyhow, I think this is one of those rare games where building the Globe in the capital was a decent move. I would have farmed the plains and ran one huge MOFO SE farm in there. I would have blasted my way up to rifling with that. At the same time, I would have had a monster whip-factory, and this means everything, infrastructure, and units.

When you get to rifles, you would be able to draft a UU every round, AND you would be able to whip at the same time. You could get 2 units out of that city in a single turn for many turns. Then, you stomp over whoever you want with that.

BTW, in that last save your capital looks weird. You are still bleeding off a whopping 5 food a turn, but still working two farm tiles. This doesn’t make much logic to me. The last thing you should be doing when bleeding off food is trying to grow another pop. Yet I see the capital is trying to convert hammers to beakers, and yet you are not even working that monster copper-hill tile. I fail to see the point of spending another 6 turns just to grow another pop level, when this will cause you to yet bleed off even MORE food. That’s a lot of waste going on there.

It’s particularly weird to see you are also working a simple plains-hill at the same time. Maybe that war was a bit too distracting?

Anyway, there is more ways to skin a deity cat, I’ll stop here before you get mad at me :p

Well, since you asked…

That music gambit, as you called it. Was exactly that, a Gambit for trying to get it so late. As expected, you failed to get the GA. Well, no game breaker there, but at that point you should have bowed out, since you had no intention of building Sistine and there was no longer the big GA payoff.

True, but Peter was the only one who had Music at that time, and since he's not Mansa Musa, he won't trade it away if it's a monopoly. That means that I would practically have a monopoly on Music had I researched it anyway. And yeah it's a gambit ... but they make the game fun, right?? ;) I got Machinery due to Music (from Toku I think) and will certainly get a few other techs in the next round.

What you should have done at that point, was teched after theatres. This one isn’t beelined by the AI’s so you would still be able to trade it around for plenty of stuff. But also importantly, it would then give you an additional 20% discount to then finish off teching Music.

Hm ... interesting idea. I forgot for a sec that Drama was a prereq of Music ....

Earlier you were debating on going after TGL at around 750 BC I believe. This one is hardly considered a gambit. IIRC you had no marble, and were not industrious. You also had no real production piles around and since often TGL is gone 1000 BC… I think you were grasping at straws there :p I try to aim for it being completed before 500 BC, and this will still cause a lot of failures.

I debated on this becuase I like to keep options open for me. Since I decided to build troops instead of build wonders, that idea went out of the window. (And I accepted it.) Thankfully it went to the 5-city-empire-of-Carthage.

Anyhow, I think this is one of those rare games where building the Globe in the capital was a decent move. I would have farmed the plains and ran one huge MOFO SE farm in there. I would have blasted my way up to rifling with that. At the same time, I would have had a monster whip-factory, and this means everything, infrastructure, and units.

I haven't built the Globe yet, since I need Drama. I'm thinking of putting it in a city other than the capital to keep London as a research center (short term with lots of G.S.'s and long-term with the cottages and the academy).

When you get to rifles, you would be able to draft a UU every round, AND you would be able to whip at the same time. You could get 2 units out of that city in a single turn for many turns. Then, you stomp over whoever you want with that.

That's the plan I have in mind. We'll see if it works out. :goodjob: I'll try to draft 3 redcoats each round if possible (since that's the max. standard size gives me).

BTW, in that last save your capital looks weird. You are still bleeding off a whopping 5 food a turn, but still working two farm tiles. This doesn’t make much logic to me. The last thing you should be doing when bleeding off food is trying to grow another pop. Yet I see the capital is trying to convert hammers to beakers, and yet you are not even working that monster copper-hill tile. I fail to see the point of spending another 6 turns just to grow another pop level, when this will cause you to yet bleed off even MORE food. That’s a lot of waste going on there.

It’s particularly weird to see you are also working a simple plains-hill at the same time. Maybe that war was a bit too distracting?

Anyway, there is more ways to skin a deity cat, I’ll stop here before you get mad at me :p

You're right about the bleeding 5 food in London. That screenshot's a bit deceptive, though, because after I took it (in the game), I pondered on how I could improve the capital's health situation. I went into the foreign advisor and searched for health goods - and Shaka was willing to trade rice to me for one of my corn (I think) which made the capital at -4 food. Also, a worker is currently connecting the bananas south of the capital which will give another +1 health in the near future. Right away, that's three extra health points. :goodjob: And I'll keep looking at the foreign advisor to find more ways to increase my health. I would really like to have some crabs, for instance.

I removed the old save becuase I accidentally put the autosave up ... I'll post the one I manually made (which has my signs all over it) tomorrow (not on comp. with civ).

I've played up to discovering paper. I wonder if I should manually research philo, or burn a GS. Probably will manually do so.

I removed the old save becuase I accidentally put the autosave up ... I'll post the one I manually made (which has my signs all over it) tomorrow (not on comp. with civ).

I've played up to discovering paper. I wonder if I should manually research philo, or burn a GS. Probably will manually do so.
If Taoism hasn't been founded and other civs might be close, it could be worth bulbing. If you're close to Liberalism and it could make the difference, it could be worth bulbing.

If you're not interested in Taoism and/or it's already gone, and it's not going to make the difference in the Liberalism rush, I wouldn't bulb.

Alright, the weekend is coming to an end here. What is the hold-up?

I saw some discussions which were pretty far into the future, the last update was to 50 ad iirc or did i miss one? Game's going pretty well.

Well, my two most favourite leaders for when I know I"m going to be stuck in a meat-grinder for a very long time (and I'm going for conquest), are Sitting Bull and Churchill. Though.. Toku also deserves a good pick.

I'd like to give your save a shot, but I'd probably spoil something. I guess I'll start a new one this evening.

I saw some discussions which were pretty far into the future, the last update was to 50 ad iirc or did i miss one? Game's going pretty well.

You didn't miss one (all updates are linked on the first post). I've played up to about 300 AD, and the Liberalism race is on. I'm pretty much at tech parity (above average at least), but what the AI's don't have, that I have, is a Great Scientist waiting and another soon to come in a National Epic + Bureaucracy powered size 16 capital London. :lol: This easily sets my record for the largest early city size I've ever had. I saw USun get a size 19 capital at 300 AD so that size is my next goal. :goodjob:

Well, my two most favourite leaders for when I know I"m going to be stuck in a meat-grinder for a very long time (and I'm going for conquest), are Sitting Bull and Churchill. Though.. Toku also deserves a good pick.

I'd like to give your save a shot, but I'd probably spoil something. I guess I'll start a new one this evening.

Those three are nice leaders for warmongering games. :goodjob:

Well, I am probably more than halfway through that churchhill game. What a great reminder to me how powerful that UU is, makes Pratts look like a joke in comparison. Anyhow, I'm still greatly outnumbered but still kicking ass. Only problem is my tech hurts from all those units and warring.

On the game. Very nice job, absolutely amazing what you can accomplish before 1 AD.
Also deity tech speed is ridicilous as always.

On the math subject. Use Matlab indeed for easy answer :).
The equation itself though is absolutely not hard. There are 2 functions inside functions, so just keep applying the rules which I forgot from highschool.

Also your notation is weird, ln is normally used as the natural logarythm of e. So do you mean ln(2x^234)? or do you mean 2 log(x^234)

Shouldnt be a cakewalk :p

Top Bottom