1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ALC 27: Churchill of England

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DMOC, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Silu

Silu Deity

While I was debating about the merits of settling in place, I actually cheat-looked at the map and saw that. Was a bit harder to defend my point of view after that :lol:

A priori I still think it would have been more likely for there to be Copper in the in-place BFC ;)

2. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I hope you have mysticism or writing. Otherwise GW's culture is gonna kill the ivory city.

3. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

This is a good whipping capital with low health cap. I d be tempted to whip out a Granary, barracks and a few Axe to deal with Barbs and harass GW before heavy REX. If you cant beat him to good spots with settlers, beat him with Axe. Steal his workers, intercept his settlers, pillage his cottage/resources and etc. I wont be much worried about retaliation since we are Protective.

If a light war can unlock HE and gain you a GG, that is very helpful, since being Cha+Pro, a settled GG gives you CG3 or G2+CG1 archers. You can stall GW's Westward expansion and settle your land with ease.

4. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

This is why I wish I was creative. :cry: But anyway, it shouldn't be too bad. The question is if my city positioning was wise enough. I think I settled so that I got both ivories in the first BFC (meaning the corn needed a monument). Will have to go back to check. I settled that way to minimize cultural pressure.

Granary will definitely be my first priority after expansion (maybe even before a library). If I can beat Washington to the land that's to my south (which is good once I remove much of the jungle) and get 6 decent cities do you think it's worth it to war vs. Washington?

Another point that urges for early war vs. Washington is that he's the current enemy of 4 AI's. It's likely that he'll get declared on by one of those AI's before I declare on him, if necessary. 2 v 1 wars are better than 1 v 1's.

5. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

Foiled once more by the damn map generator!!!:mad:
    That'll show me for trying to predict the future. (I predict a round to be posted soon?)

6. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I hope to post by Sunday. After that, I can only guarantee 1 more round, since my SATs are on October 10th and that is crucial. Afterwards I'll probably post a round and then continue with college applications.

7. Stewie0416

Stewie0416 Who Cares?

HEY! We have the same SAT dates!!!!!!!!!!! :p Good luck!

8. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Same to you. :)

9. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Well DMOC and Stewie516 I wish you the best of luck in the SATs. One odd thing about this site is I give/get advice from many people I have never met before, and sometimes forget the age differences.

Especially with my oldest daughter taking the PSATs this year and the SATs next year!

Talking computer games with people my kids age, just seams, odd sometimes!!!

10. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

What is a SAT anyways

11. madscientist

SAT = Scholastic Aptitude TEst (if I remember correctly). The entry test fo College in teh US.

PSAT = PreScholastic Aptitude Test

12. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Check thanks :goodjob:

Damn figured DMOC was a student or a full grown pappa myself. Did not expect underaged people playing such an oldschool game :D

13. mc-red

mc-red King

haha I know what you mean. My son will soon be of the SAT taking age.

Good luck DMOC and everyone else taking them.

I just practiced from the book of ten actual tests. Took them and timed myself and everything. Worked out well but was looooong time ago.
    :old:

14. Stewie0416

Stewie0416 Who Cares?

Don't be so surprised that a few high schoolers play this game as well...:lol:

15. madscientist

I have been a Nintendo Video game junkie since college. My oldest daughter now kicks my butt all over the place, so I play Civilization now.

16. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

17. lange17

lange17 Chieftain

This thread has made me aware that I'm learning to play Civ from certain folks, even though I've been playing Civ literally since before they were born!!!

I can't decide if that's either depressing, or really depressing. Good luck w/ the SAT, regardless!

18. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

CIV 1 isnt THAT old :)

Ok maybe it is, played it when I was 8, 17 years ago :(

19. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

It appears that you started this save with some kind of mod. I assumed it was BUG. I tried the opening the save with BUG and BUFFY but was unsuccessful. Is it possible to identify the mod to use or maybe create this games as WB files for more flexibility. thanks

20. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah and talking with older people I feel the same way you do. :lol:

A major PITA for high school students in the United States ... and in a few other countries too.

The PSAT is also known as the NMSQT, the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. Sadly, I didn't get a high enough score to be a scholar. :cry:

I started playing this when I was 15 ... first knew about this game when I was 14. :goodjob: But for some reason I delayed buying this game for a whole year after it was released. :mad: I could be so much better now.

I practiced from the College Board Blue book (Got a 2180). Sadly, I didn't do so well on my actual test in May which expains why I'm retaking them.

Exactly. ;)

How do you find the time to balance civ and being a parent? Curious.:crazyeye:

Yeah, I hope I do well on the SATs.

I voted in the range 75-200. :lol:

Seriously? :eek:

I started it with BUG only. Or it might have been ... partly BUFFY. The reason is that I know I didn't install BUFFY correctly on my computer since I can start a game up on BUFFY but I can't play a normal HoF game with locked modified assets ON without the game telling me to check locked modified assets, even though it's already checked! Sorry about that. I have yet to figure out how to uninstall BUFFY.

So anyway, (cue some lugubrious music in the background ... I don't want cacophonous sounds now) I'm going to hopefully play and post the next round with great élan and also update the Julius Caesar game in what will hopefully be my most scintillating round yet. I will try not to be dilatory, although I can't control everything that my loving but obstreperous parents wish for me to do. Perhaps with a fecund imagination, I can make the next round the most popular yet and garner a healthy amount of effusive praise even from the censorious lot of you. Meanwhile, I need to get back to augmenting up my SAT vocabulary by reading my prep book in a supine position on my bed - I know, it's a dull task which I am pugnacious and truculent to do, but I will anyway for a myriad of reasons. I personally relate studying to an execrable slice of anchovy pizza ... or perhaps a dessicate desert. And yes, this whole paragraph is entirely ostentatious in its purpose as well as superfluous. Sorry for being so garrulous and locquacious. Please do not finish reading this post in a state of consternation and feel the need to reply immediately with a highly caustic and vituperative message. I get queasy when anyone attacks me with virulent words. :sad: I think that there is a general currency among Civ Fantics posters that when someone starts an online game, prompt reports are mandated.