ALC Game #23: America/Lincoln

1. Hemispheres will ensure civs on different continents. Thus, making the seals a lot more useful, and forcing the game to go until the late game if he wants Conquest/Domination.

2. Emperor will help show off the UU and UB better. Immortal just seems too high IMO.

1. you obviously didn't look at the map. there are three different continents on this map: he could amphibiously invade julius or zara (it would be stupid and pointless however)

2. i always understood the purpose of the ALC was to find out how useful certain UU/UB were in certain situations. however, if they are only useful if you are playing below your standards, then i frankly don't see the point. its not like hes not going to win this one is it?

I know that the ALCs are ideally for showing off UUs and UBs, but you've got two more opportunities for that, right? And sometimes the game just doesn't really take you to your unique stuff. Since Washington is CHAR as well, maybe go the SEAL route with him.

Anyway, great job on the big tech turnaround.

STOP. HAMMURABI TIME. Doo doo do do, de doo, de doo, you can't touch this...

This is the first Immortal ALC, in case you'd forgotten, and you've worked very hard to get to where you are now.

Finish the job.

If you can win the UN victory, then go ahead - you've earned it. If not, turtle up and head for Space.

You should keep building troops, but they ought to be for defence against a possible last-minute invasion, not for some showboating finale.

I don't think that someone would attack S man now.... the only danger is if the UN FR vote passes. But as he is the UN sec general, that is a not very likely scenario.....

I'd just tie this game up with a UN victory, if it is indeed possible. If you'd really wanted to demonstrate America's UU or UB then perhaps the decisive warring should have been carried out in the modern era...?

As it was, the early war-mongering paved the way making it less imperative to instigate a war later on. Well played - yes, there's no doubt - but not if you wanted to showboat the UU and UB in a tense finale. Showboating the UU and UB now, in the face of an inevitable victory, will only bore people, perhaps even yourself. Modern wars are only fun if there's a slight hint of uncertainty about the outcome.

I'd just tie this game up with a UN victory, if it is indeed possible. If you'd really wanted to demonstrate America's UU or UB then perhaps the decisive warring should have been carried out in the modern era...?

As it was, the early war-mongering paved the way making it less imperative to instigate a war later on. Well played - yes, there's no doubt - but not if you wanted to showboat the UU and UB in a tense finale. Showboating the UU and UB now, in the face of an inevitable victory, will only bore people, perhaps even yourself. Modern wars are only fun if there's a slight hint of uncertainty about the outcome.

Yeah, I agree. The early warring removed the need for late warring.

With this being Immortal though, the early warring was probably crucial. Monty had to be eliminated, and all of the land and cities that Sis grabbed from him and HC helped to make him competitive with the rest of the Buddhist bloc.

If only there was some sort of reason to go to war at this point ... a resource grab, a vassal for diplo votes, more land/pop for domination ... but there's not.

On the flip side ... it's a game and Sis wars well and the SEALs are one of the coolest looking units in the game ... decisions, decisions.

As for me, I still cast my vote for a diplo win - the game has been played perfectly to that conclusion. Show off the UU/UB in another game with an American leader.

dowski

With this being Immortal though, the early warring was probably crucial. Monty had to be eliminated
Sis were lucky it was Mad Monty (who has a big sign over his head which says "kill me now"), and not some other Civ...

...say Louis of France... :p

Take the win Sis! Go strong for a space victory, but if the diplomatic vote comes up... why not? Again, I am still advocating NOT trying to show off the UU, with more practice at Immortal, maybe next time would work better! Or maybe we will have to limit victory conditions or something...

I would normally say, "go for peace because late-game warring is boring." The thing is, Sisutil seems to like warring.

The consensus from everyone, Sis, is that you're reacted really well to your first Immortal ALC. Monty will be scared the next time he meets you. &Part of that - part of that is that you've earnt the right to choose your victory, any kind you want, and it will be meaningful because you've conducted yourself well.

Pick the ending that will give you the most fun. Win it. Then pat yourself on the back. (Oh, and if you want to make it as easy as possible, 'turtle.')

i think the result of the test on UU/UB is, as was predicted, that they are interestingly useless due to the lateness to appearance.

I wonder if some quick movements against JC might provide some interest. Might not be the killer diplomatically - could even be part of an AP decision and help out in some cases. I realize that Zara is friendly with him, but he voted for Hatty anyway. Don't know how the Zara vassals would react.

I guess it would involve the danger of JC becoming a vassal quickly to someone and thereby further complicate diplomatic matters...

Haven't gone to the new patch yet (just haven't played lately), but the bombardment aspect with regard to amphibious siege is a bummer here. I would have liked to see this replaced by having battleships or some other ship allow for coastal bombardment. Still, with JC behind the curve in techs it might be easy enough to get the SEALs some action...

Isn't America the only civ with both a late UU and UB?

I remember saying a long time ago that America should get an earlier UU. It's not like the country sprang up overnight, it has over 200 years of history as a nation, and an even longer history as a variety of different colonies before that. I have previously posited using the minuteman from the revolutionary war--maybe a 2-move Rifleman, a nice counter to the Redcoats, don't you think? ;)

Anyway, I played the next round last night, I'll post it tonight.

i think the result of the test on UU/UB is, as was predicted, that they are interestingly useless due to the lateness to appearance.

You said that already. :)

And as I said before, the timing is not so much the problem here as the diplomatic factor. If the Buddhist bloc wasn't so friendly, there'd likely be another big war coming up, whether from attacking or being attacked.

I have previously posited using the minuteman from the revolutionary war--maybe a 2-move Rifleman, a nice counter to the Redcoats, don't you think?

Or perhaps a rifleman that starts with guerilla and/or woodsman -- also fits with the American pioneer spirit.

Isn't America the only civ with both a late UU and UB?

I remember saying a long time ago that America should get an earlier UU. It's not like the country sprang up overnight, it has over 200 years of history as a nation, and an even longer history as a variety of different colonies before that. I have previously posited using the minuteman from the revolutionary war--maybe a 2-move Rifleman, a nice counter to the Redcoats, don't you think? ;)

Anyway, I played the next round last night, I'll post it tonight.

IIRC, Germany as well. Assembly Plants and Panzers are also late.

Top Bottom