ALC Game #25: Celts/Boudica, Take 2

I think that's only because everyone keeps coming by to see if I've updated yet... :blush:

I can confirm that as the reason I keep coming by :)

This is the first post I have made to one of your ALC games but I have read them all. They are fun to read. You are an excellent writer.

Hello Everyone,

Well the wait has some advantages, namely it has given me time to open the save game and give you my opinion! My advice (similar to everyone else) would be as follows:

1. Move to take bantu asap. There is an axeman in the capital i would employ more aggressively + judicious use of chopping and whipping

2. I would research mathematics next, followed by Calendar. My reasoning is that in your territory there are 2 spices and a silk which would give you in total +2 food and +7 commerce. Better than currency I think. Further, mansa's territory holds a further 3 dyes, 2 bananas and spice, which i think should become yours in the very near future and which I think you would want to work as soon as you annexe them. I don't think in this instance construction is needed, you have capacity to chop + whip a good enough mixed force of axemen and gallics to take out Mansa. We all know he is an easy beat! Lastly, no one else will have Calendar I wouldn't imagine, so you can use it to trade for construction if you want to, or even get a head start on the Mausoleum if you wanted.

3. See 2! I would be declaring war on Mansa around the same time you finish researching Mathematics, nothing ever got done by sitting around!

4. I wouldnt adopt a religion just yet. Researching calendar is enough to keep your slaves/population happy without the need for religion and Zara and america are reasonably easy to keep happy without it.

5. I would go for currency after calendar.

Our (well Sis's) land is not good enough to keep up with MM nor do I see us taking anyone else.

- We are closer now then we will be in 30,50 or a 100 turns to military parity with MM.
- Our advantage is being able to war wisely and know the AI actions because it is predictable.
- MM has and will have good land and tech for us.

I see it as an all or nothing shot. Typically in my games I always shoot for the all or nothing because it saves me the agony of playing hours to find I am not going to win.

If we take him we are well on our way to a good game. If we get a couple of bad rolls and lose 2-3 GW's then we are going to crippled and probably wind up losing.

Plan:
1. Build/Whip some GW's and 3 archers
2. Take SOD to Gao and hope for good RNG outcomes
3. Sit and wait for his SOD to come. He may not have much.
4. Move straight to his capital and if it is lightly defend (happens) then take it. If not pillage and look for other cities.
5. Make peace if you get his capital or another city after you have pillaged. Declare again after ten turns and re-pillage if you won't be finishing him within 10-20 turns.

Our goal is to weaken MM and take him. If we are lucky we can take him quick if not it will be two maybe three short wars.

Our issue will be economic. We have the gold and some coast and villages so hopefully with the funds from pillaging and conquest we will be able to recover quick.

Of course this may all be too late :)

I know people frown on *bumping* this thread unless there is a Sisiutil post BUT...

I've seen him around here and there in the forums and just was wondering if he ever was thinking about picking up this ALC game again (or really any ALC game again for that matter). These have been great reads in the past and I'm pretty much caught up on all of them. I still check the strategy forum from time to time hoping he's picked it up again.

Sisiutil, I know very well how 'real' life interferes, but since I've seen you respond in other threads, was jus' wondering. Big fan....

Please don't bump old threads.

Well, it's relatively clear that Sisiutil has grown weary of these things. It was always bound to happen. These things take a lot of effort and time. If you lose the buzz you ain't gonna do them! Maybe after a few months he'll get the urge again. The guy had a good run though. He never signed a contract committing himself to doing these indefinitely, so let him move on if that's the way it is.

Well, it's relatively clear that Sisiutil has grown weary of these things. It was always bound to happen. These things take a lot of effort and time. If you lose the buzz you ain't gonna do them! Maybe after a few months he'll get the urge again. The guy had a good run though. He never signed a contract committing himself to doing these indefinitely, so let him move on if that's the way it is.
I'm afraid that pretty much sums it up. :(

I hate to sound selfish, but frankly, I started the ALC threads for a selfish reason, to improve my own game. I started at Prince and I'm now playing at Immortal level and am close to moving up to Deity. Yay me! Now, I'm not claiming to be a Civ god (despite the name of the next level I'll be challenging), and it's not that I don't still see improvement thanks to these threads, but I'm simply running into the law of diminishing returns. A great deal of effort is required on my part for a much lower return than I used to see.

Ironically, I think I have played enough ALC games so that by now I would have gone through all the original leaders in Civ IV. So in a way, the challenge has been met... sorta, kinda. :huh: But the addition of more leaders in Warlords and BtS made the task Herculean. :eek:

So what remains to motivate me? The interaction with the community? Well, I can do that in the other threads on the board, and a lot less effort is required on my part. And I'm focusing more on my writing in my free time these days (and I'm trying to finish off my Princes story thread, for those of you who are following that).

So consider the ALCs retired for the time being. Who knows, one day I may fire them up again, but don't hold your breath.

Thanks Sisiutil. I've been following your ALC:s for some time and have enjoyed them very much. You just retire now, put them legs up under the parasoll and enjoy that froozen margarita. :trophy:

Aye, thanks Sisiutil. Your games together with Neal and Madscientist were the reason I got addicted to this forum. Addicted in a positive way ;)

Sometimes I'm thinking about starting my own ALC as i'm pretty stuck on Monarch and have a hard time when I fall behind... in a way that I give up too easily and playing it on the forum I hope to be a little more persistant :) But right now I think too many people are posting their games :)

Don't feel bad, Sisutil, we're all here for selfish reasons, and you can take pride in the knowledge that your "selfishn actions" have provided learning and entertainment for a lot of people - as evidenced by the 60k views on the current thread.

So... THANKS! and enjoy participating in other people's threads :)

Thanks for all the hard work you had put into these. They really were the best, and most interesting strategy reads around for me.

Its kind of sad in a way as it seems the number of posts and topics in general on this forum are dwindling and now the ALC's are done. But, I guess that's bound to continue as CIV IV is nearly a 4 year-old game now!

Hope you'll still at least be hanging around as I always enjoyed reading your posts. Here's to the ALC's...an end of an era. Twas a good run. :beer:

Same here. Thanks so much for improving my game from Warlord to Emperor! So don't think you were selfish!

Ah, I need to say thank you again. And again, and again and so on. One for each ALC!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I'm afraid that pretty much sums it up. :(

I hate to sound selfish, but frankly, I started the ALC threads for a selfish reason, to improve my own game. I started at Prince and I'm now playing at Immortal level and am close to moving up to Deity. Yay me! Now, I'm not claiming to be a Civ god (despite the name of the next level I'll be challenging), and it's not that I don't still see improvement thanks to these threads, but I'm simply running into the law of diminishing returns. A great deal of effort is required on my part for a much lower return than I used to see.

Ironically, I think I have played enough ALC games so that by now I would have gone through all the original leaders in Civ IV. So in a way, the challenge has been met... sorta, kinda. :huh: But the addition of more leaders in Warlords and BtS made the task Herculean. :eek:

So what remains to motivate me? The interaction with the community? Well, I can do that in the other threads on the board, and a lot less effort is required on my part. And I'm focusing more on my writing in my free time these days (and I'm trying to finish off my Princes story thread, for those of you who are following that).

So consider the ALCs retired for the time being. Who knows, one day I may fire them up again, but don't hold your breath.

The quality of your ALCs is what motivated me to start the RPCs (you and Slobbering Bear's brilliant idea for them). Thankyou for many entertaining games!

I fully understand your need to retire!

Of course if CIV V ever comes back we then expect a return of the ALCs!

Of course if CIV V ever comes back we then expect a return of the ALCs!

With the end of the ALCs and your last RPC in progress, Civ V has to come soon! The Civ community needs it.

Thank you for doing these games, Sis. Not only did they improve my game but they were also great reads.

^Now, now now let's not put that on Sisutil. ;)

Ooo mads threads are great yours kinda nice and obsoletes just outstanding.
That said I would like to thank you for making many nice playthroughs that
has and will continue to develop civfanatics. Thanks.

Top Bottom