All Leaders Challenge Game #25, Take 2:

Celts/Boudica

Pre-Game Thread

Starting Position (this post, below)
Round 1: 4000 BC to 2850 BC (46 turns)
Round 2: 2850 BC to 2125 BC (29 turns)
Round 3: 2125 BC to 1525 BC (24 turns)
Round 4: 1525 BC to 825 BC (28 turns)

The idea of the All Leaders Challenge is that I'm going to play a game with each of the Civ IV leaders. With the help of all the posters who participate, I will attempt to make the most of the leader's unique characteristics: traits, starting techs, unit, and building. Aside from the leader, the other game settings are (mostly) kept constant for the sake of comparison. I will post the saved game files, screenshots, and status reports here as the game progresses. Everyone then has a chance to chime in with their strategy ideas, or voice their frustration (or glee) when I make a mistake. ;)

Everyone is invited to offer opinions and advice, and to make your own attempt at playing the same game. But if you do play a "shadow game", I kindly request that you refrain from posting spoilers--i.e. any facts or even hints about the map, opponents, and so on--before I'm there myself. I'm trying to play the game as authentically as possible.

In this ALC game, I'll be playing as Boudica, leader of the Celts. I'm playing the game using the Beyond the Sword expansion pack, its latest patch (3.17), along with Solver's unofficial patch and Dresden`s unofficial update to the unofficial patch as well. The difficulty level is Immortal and the speed is Epic.

This is my second whack at a Boudica game. The previous one got interrupted by real life for a couple of months, and I just didn't feel like going back to it. So I decided to generate a new map and start fresh.

Here are some details about the map and other settings:

Same as last time. And just like last time, I added two civs, bringing the total number up to nine (including me) from the standard seven.

I haven't had anyone screen the map for me this time, so I'll just play the hand that's been dealt to me.

Not a bad start, all told, what with the gold and a calendar resource, lots of forests for chopping, and plenty of river tiles. Food-wise it's a little weak, unless there's something in the fog to the east--I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the cows turn out to be the only food, I may have to move the capital to a better location later on.

That being said, I can't see many alternatives to settling in place. There's coast to the west, but it would take the Settler several turns to move there and I don't start with fishing even if there is a seafood resource over there. (Moving only 1 tile west leaves me 1 tile from the coast, and we all know what a :smoke: move that is.) Still, do you think it's worthwhile having the Scout check out that area first, or should he head inland? The problem there is he only gets one move in that direction, and then I have to decide whether to move the Settler or settle in place.

Does Worker first make sense? It could mean that I have a Worker right around the time the capital's borders expand to include the gold, and once I've finished Mining, which I think makes sense as the first research target.

The initial saved game file is below.

Attachments

• Sisiutil BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35 KB · Views: 255
I vote to settle in place. Gold/cows and lot's of forrests to chop and farm. Boudica has some of the worst starting techs in mysticism and hunting, so you need food and military. Not alot of time to stroll arround.

I say start by teching AH, then mining/BW. After that archery or whell depending on horses/copper.

Use the forrests to either chop out a fast army or possibly Stonehenge.

You're right - it's not a good map for moving your first settler. Settle in place and send your scout north.

I vote for 8 pages of discussion before moving any units ;)

Hi Sis, I am the ultimate lurker but have been reading your games for years. Glad you're starting the series back up.

My two cents: research AH first then Mining. You need to feed that mine before you can work it. Also, the cow tile is your best tile with a combined 6 food and hammers. Hooking it up first will help you grow to size two so you can work the gold and then build either a settler or a second worker to help you chop out a settler.

Reading the fog (not that I'm good at that, but OK) There seems to be no forest NNE, which would indicate it might contain a resource (it seems to be one of those "all tiles are forests which do not have a resource"-starts). Also NNN is forest free and NNNW seems to be another hill. Wouldn't this imply you could see NNE from NNNW? In that case I would move the scout NW and then NE to see what is on that possible resource square. In fact I would do that anyway as I would not move my settler here.

Perhaps a stupid suggestion, but since teching to worker techs (AH + BW + potentially agriculture - who nows what lies in the NNE tile), what about:
- build a worker while teching mining, then AH and BW
- when the first worker is done, build straight a second one while building the gold mine and using it to tech to AH and BW at lightning speed
After that, that's two workers, the necessary worker techs, plenty of forests, but still a size 1 city; I'd like to try that if that was my game, because I'm lazy to do the maths xD But for an immortal game... I dunno

Still, welcome back Sis ! \o/

I vote settle in place.

Same as JujuLautre, worker->worker, and mining->AH->BW.

EDIT (WAY OVERDUE): 500th POST!!! :clap: :woohoo: :old: :rockon: [party] :band: :rotfl: :bounce: :cheers: :high5: :trophy:

Welcome home, Sis!

Send the scout SW and see how the coastline looks. If it makes a turn to the east you may find your settler is already 1 tile from the water.

I say settle in place. Man, somebody should make another thread just to discuss this game:lol:

Settle in place; you have Hunting so can start researching Animal Husbandry immediately; the Cows aren't a bad tile at all.

I'm not totally comfortable with giving settling advice without moving the unit, so I'm not going to. These discussions would make more sense if you scouted before posting the start-shot, just my 2 lenses.

Same as JujuLautre, worker->worker, and mining->AH->BW.

I hate this line. With worker + worker, I want BW already, not after AH. If all you've got is trees, you gotta use them - light the rocket, and go find someone to hurt.

Open question - that NE tile looks like it could be interesting. Anyone want to plan a contingency, or are we all just assuming that Sis will pause the game immediately after the city is founded?

I usually put the scout on auto explore and settle in the nearest place with good resources that I can see from the starting position, but aperiantly it chose the exact spot I would have settled at the start. Settle in the place you are!!!

Welcome back, Sis. You have been missed. Scout 1NE. Settle in place unless, well, I can't imagine what would warrant moving. Build worker, tech AH, then mining, then BW. And I'd seriously consider chopping Stonehenge. CHA gives +1 happy. Enjoy!

Top Bottom