1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ALC Game #26: Willem van Oranje/Dutch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lord Parkin, May 27, 2009.

1. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

^^

I know that we're getting a little OT, but I remember reading in the BUG forum in C & C that someone was trying to implement a more detailed battle odds displayer. One of the things that I remember reading is that better odds does not necessarily mean a higher amount of expected damage. Especially for the first few sacrificial units, what you want are units that are more likely to do more damage if the probability of survival is low. Maybe someone can explain this better than I just did.

Actually, just checked and noticed that the advanced combat odds mod has already been created. For those interested here's the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7768948#post7768948

2. Krill

Krill Deity

Who cares if a unit dies, so long as the next units has good odds?

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The useful information to extract from such discussion is which promos yield the highest expected damage ;).

4. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

This is a fun map indeed!

Spoiler To 25AD :
    No peeking!

Sorry, I have been reading the challenge threads lately where people post their progress as they go, however fast that is, in spoilers. I'll post my summary again when the thread gets this far. :)

5. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

EF, I love the BUG mod, but I don't think that a lot of people like information about the game that has yet to be discovered in the main game even with spoiler tags. We just can't resist but peek. I would probably suggest removing it, at least until LP gets to that point.

6. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

Ah, I forgot that the spoiler-posting rate is different from the other challenge threads. Thanks for the gentle reminder. :D

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Liz has no visible copper, a rush sounds appealing to me.

8. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Interesting. Although the strength of the CR promotion line isn't so much CR1, but the end products of CR2 and CR3. I would definitely take a CR3 Swordsman over any other 3-promotion alternative for an offensive campaign. ;)

Anyway, regarding the game: I'm simply not going to have the time tonight, so I'll have to postpone this at least a day. I should be able to play a decent chunk this weekend though, to make up for the slow pace early in the week. :)

9. Preston85

Preston85 Chieftain

Since LP is delayed i'll comment on the promotions thing. The main issue for me is CR promotion is useful for the whole game, anti-melee/archer promotions are not. Plus you can't give CR promotion's so you have to build them up early before upgrading. Yes the none-CR promotions are useful attacking or defending outside of cities but you only need a few of them to fill the role.

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

That's a very good point too. Upgrading CR3 Macemen to Grenadiers/Riflemen/Infantry (which can't get the promotion by themselves) is extremely powerful. And once you get into the mid-game, effectively those anti-melee and anti-archer promotions become all but useless, whereas the CR line only gets stronger.

Of course, that's not to say the anti-melee and anti-archer promotions don't have their place in closely fought battles - it's just that in the long run they become obsolete rather quickly.

11. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Less talk more play:goodjob:

12. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm at uni at the moment, without access to Civ4. Hence I can comment (briefly) on posts, but can't play the next round yet. ;)

Be patient, I'll get to it. :)

13. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Nonesense. Talk is always good in these games!

14. DampRain

DampRain Prince

Where in nz? :p I'm an arrogant akl aristocrat :)

15. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm in Christchurch. :)

Won't be there for long though - in a month or two I'll be near Munich in Germany for PhD-related work. Should be a fun trip... and I'll get an extra summer this year, yay! :D

16. DampRain

DampRain Prince

I'm sorry, I can't follow your plebian threads anymore :p.

Germany, know any german then? ^^" and whats your field of interest?

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Slowly learning German - only started recently though, so barely know any. ;)

My work is related to laser physics, so it's fairly interesting (at least for me).

Anyway, let's not get too off-topic here. You can continue this over PM if you want. :)

18. Der Graf

Der Graf Omnipresent Eye

Don't be too enthusiastic about summer in Germany although it's doing fine at the moment ;)
    And you're not going to Germany, you' re going to Munich - or, even worse, to Bavaria. Be prepared for a cultural shock :D

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Heh, thanks for the advice. ;)

*Hopefully* I'll have a chance to play the next round later today. Apologies for the delays so far, but I've had a heap of unexpected work piled on me recently. I've been methodically working my way through it for the past two nights, and the end is finally in sight. :)

20. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Enjoy Germany man! I just returned from a visit to Bavaria/Austria myself about a month or two ago. Beautiful country man, although I don't know how it compares to New Zealand, I hear that place is beautiful as well :lol: