1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ALC Game #26: Willem van Oranje/Dutch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lord Parkin, May 27, 2009.

1. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

The main problem with a stack of trebs/muskets is they are VERY susceptible to flanking damage from knights. Pikes can help but not that much.

2. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

Cannons/Muskets, though (while waiting for the Rifles to come on line) would take the continent/Ghandi/both.

As far as I can see, the two big decisions that Lord Parkin has at this point are

1) Hit Ghandi after China or leave him for last?

2) Choose between
    a) Steel, then Dikes, then Rifles
    b) Steel, then Rifles, then Dikes
    c) Rifles, then Steel, then Dikes

I'd say that A > B > C, but I could certainly see arguments for any of these three orders. I don't see Corporations being an issue here because the game will be over before they have any effect. One might get founded, but it will be in the mop-up phase unless Lord Parkin decides to turtle after China.

Edit: Please note that the broad strategies seem pretty clear to me but that I'm not claiming to be able to execute them at Deity. I'm amazed at how well this game has gone and there's actually an open question in my mind as to whether Lord Parkin has been incredibly lucky or if he really is just that insanely good at spotting opportunities and then exploiting them. He took some really gutsy gambles early in the game that were very reasonable in hindsight, but even I can win a Deity game in hindsight. It's playing without knowing the outcome of the game ahead of time that is the real challenge. ;)

3. mc-red

mc-red King

^
    Nice post

4. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

always go for dikes first.

You want to maximise prod in your cities asap, that includes your prod/military cities.

Dikes makes units produce faster, so if you go rifling before dike, you will literally waste turns.

You research rifling, while building dikes, so when rifling finishes, you got dikes in most of your important cities.

If you got spare turns, you can always build cannons in those cities.

5. framserv

framserv Chieftain

I think this game is Immortal, DMOC is playing the deity ALC.

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

True, but LP is doing a cakewalk here :p Let me see: Willem, archipelago, sucessful chariot rush to England + Great lighthouse .... well, this game was over in this point :D

7. Silu

Silu Deity

I agree ;) It's a great environment for an ALC, though.

Spoiler :
    Sorry for messing with the quote! :mischief: Couldn't resist...

8. Adria

Adria Prince

Great to see this going again! :goodjob:

This was one of the first things that caught my eye when I first visited this site - I'd only played a handful of games, and all as Willem.

Do your dot maps not reappear when you hit Alt-X or Ctl-X? Mine are usually not visible when I reload a game, but reappear on one of those key combinations. If they disappear again after hitting Alt-X to get out of dot-mapping mode, Ctl-X will make them stay visible.

9. champ82

champ82 Immortal Ruler

Re: Muskets and cannons.

Elephants will defend from knights well (and should probably be 1/2, or at least 1/3 of the stacks.) They don't defend well against crusaiers though. I learned that the hard way.

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Brilliant, photobucket has drastically reduced its bandwidth allowance. How convenient... as if it wasn't bad enough last month. :rolleyes:

I guess they suddenly changed their mind on how much bandwidth they want people to have, eh? :rolleyes:

Anyway, in other news, I'm off to Munich for a long weekend (Thursday-Sunday), so I probably won't be around until next week. When I get back I'll get started on the next turnset, though (as well as replying to some of the more recent messages). :)

11. uppi

uppi Deity

Don't drink too much beer on the Oktoberfest. ;) (It's way cheaper in the regular pubs anyway)

12. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

many things

Now that's out of the way, ITS AN ALL LEADER CHALLENGE, HIGHLIGHTING THE UNIQUE UNITS.

Why do I scream this out, BECAUSE, I want to see Dutch East India-men transporting Cannons and Muskets/City raider 3 maces to INDIAN cities and declaring war, while in INDIAN CULTURAL BORDERS.

Finish off China, the North Production/population centers for sure.!!!!, the 2 marginal border cities in the East. Depends if you want to give another opponent another 2 gift cities to try compete with you.

Spoiler :
    INDIA!!
    IS THE REAL ENEMY. Not only are they taking all our call center jobs, they have threatened our continent with invasion either of a Military or Cultural
    format.

Tech's, Chemistry, STEAM POWER (Dikes), Steel, Rifling ( Yeah yeah yeah, sook).

INVADE;

Spoiler :
    INDIA!!
    IS where the game truly lay's. They can provide the interest for the showcasing of the Unique Units, Give a steel tipped foil to your Tungsten hardened production via dikes, Provide the unspoiled and pristine lands your troops so desperately desire to;
    DESPOIL, DESECRATE AND DEPOPULATE.

The ultimate Triple D's....;)

P.S.
    Spoiler :
    I had a great laugh at your starting the world war, bribing one civ into war with 2 others, and commenting on the war monger traits, just so funny, but I didn't laugh at the barb joining in on the party :hmm: go figure

13. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Burn them all.

14. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

10 characters

15. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Just wanted to apologise for the delay on the next update. I've been very busy working during the weekdays lately (conference coming up that I have to present some work at)... and the last 3 weekends I've been travelling - to Passau (very pretty), then Munich (and Oktoberfest!), then Prague just last weekend (beautiful, although unfortunately couldn't see the castle due to the bad timing of the Pope being there).

So anyway, the good news is that I'm getting plenty of pretty pictures of Europe, but the bad news is that I'm finding very little time to play Civ! Hopefully I should have a little bit of a break sometime in the next week or two, so I'll be able to update then. :)

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Finally the truth.... somone said to me in your forum that you had no internet acess in Germany. Obviously it had to be the beer :p

17. jamescat

jamescat Chieftain

Let's hope LP doesn't mix up his pictures of beautiful pictures of Europe with his screenies of Civ to make those of us in other hemispheres jealous :D

18. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

Is this game going to be finished? :)

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm actually halfway through the next session at the moment... I was hoping to post it up out of the blue soon, rather than giving endless estimates and deadlines which I'm always hopeless at keeping. ;)

I do apologise for the long delays between updates, but the problem is that work is fairly busy, and when I'm not working I always seem to be attending conferences or traveling.

Still, I have some free time this weekend, so maybe I'll be able to finish off the last half of the session at long last. :)

20. Arian

Arian No more ghostbusting!!

No need to apologise.

Update comes when it comes ;)