ALC Game #26: Willem van Oranje/Dutch

Notice Liz has 2 Scouts already! (I actually can't remember if the AI's start with 2 Scouts on Immortal, or if she must have got one from a hut
This. (ten)

Nice Update! Like the stories too. :goodjob:

However, I have one question. Is it really necessary to put that much text into brackets? I mean, it gets kinda annoying and most of it can be their own sentences.

Don't get me wrong though, I really appreciate you starting the series again. ;)

ok, on the worker and warrior questions.

Go chop one forest with the worker. Wheel will take about 5-7 turns? so just enough to have it research and work on the horse afterwards.

guess you are thinking normal speed, check the save, the wheel will take 11 turns

Yeah, I know, I said I was going to bed. :p
Nice Update! Like the stories too. :goodjob:
Glad you liked them! :D

However, I have one question. Is it really necessary to put that much text into brackets? I mean, it gets kinda annoying and most of it can be their own sentences.

Don't get me wrong though, I really appreciate you starting the series again. ;)
Yeah, I agree with you - it's mostly because I was tired and didn't proof-read it properly. I've removed the excess brackets now. ;)

And now I'm *actually* off to bed. :)

You should claim those gems and the horse to the west asap, I wouldn't have went second WB here, I hope you're not too late to claim it from Liz.
You'll want warriors on the way to fog and spawnbust. Chop out a settler then send him and the worker west while you build a second worker in cap.
Tech TW and hook up horses and then get some chariots for defense followed by 3rd worker.

Edit: Send the east warrior home and use as garrison unless he's close to woodsman 2, a chariot will quickly do his job, you need warriors to fog/spawnbust to the west to secure your expansion.

Yeah, I agree with you - it's mostly because I was tired and didn't proof-read it properly. I've removed the excess brackets now. ;)

Ah, yes, I forgot your post before the update. Thanks though! :)

I say rex, either Block off land from Elizabeth, or let her settle/develop it for you. Keep horses away from her, but wait till Construction for Cats/Ele's to take her out, on a one way date.

Due to Jungle to your west, you limited in expansion options. As long as Lizzie has no metal, horses, she's just saving you settlers/workers at Construction.

Great Lighthouse, as most cities will be coastal, its worth thinking about, maybe Lizzie will build it for you? She has a coastal city in London.

Answers to Questions not asked as yet.

1) Change all era's to White, you know what era your in without looking at dates (sorry BUG developers, but that's my opinion, I :love: BUG)

2) Alt-X brings up the City mapping function, Cnt-X, if you reload game brings previous Maps

3) You definitely need more workers.

4) I like to set out cities to settle in waves, ie Green for 1st, yellow 2nd, red 3rd, white fillers. (P.S. Can I change the colour order in bug??, ie default Green)

5) 2nd city should be Ele/Rice, I dont' think you'll have time to beat AI, don't they start with 2 Scouts, 1 worker on Immortal setting. Lizzie, will be building a settler now as we speak, to go with the 4 Archers she probably has in capital.

Nice start LP! I like the little bits of leader dialog. :) My thoughts (I'll start at the end):

[*]What general strategy should we adopt?
Normally, my inclination would be to chariot rush Liz. If you eliminate her you'd have some nice territory (after IW) and a holy city. However, since this is an ALC game I vote for going to grab that gems site quickly (you're Creative!) and get the GLH or Colossus (you're Financial!). It seems to me that that approach would be more in line with the intent of the series, to highlight a leader's traits.

[*]What should the Warrior do?
I vote for the SE/SW pattern to see if there is copper in close proximity.

What should the Worker do?
I normally would chop/mine a hill before other forested tiles, I have no idea if that's optimal though.

What to build next in Amsterdam?
You'll need to garrison a warrior by the time you get to size 4 (unless you are planning to immediately whip). And given my preference to grab the gems site I'd vote for warrior/settler or warrior/warrior/settler.

What to research next?
I'd go The Wheel > Sailing > Masonry. To get chariots for defense (in case no copper is close by) and then Sailing for coastal trade and Masonry for GLH (in keeping with the approach I favored above).

Death by chariots. That's some good land if you can get it.

Alex worries me as he's every bit the problem monty is, but chariot rushing him on immortal is excessively dangerous and it doesn't look like you know where he is. You can always just park archers to defend vs him if need be I guess.

''What to research next'' and the ''general strategy to adopt'' questions go hand in hand looking at the map. As been noted, blocking Liz from further expanding eastward by way of settling near the horses while grabbing the gems is a good strategy. You will need to research Ironworking if you want the Gem resources ASAP, lifting your happy cap further, and hopefully finding Iron and building swordsmen, while the others are trying to figure out what to do with their little red books Mao offered them, and deciding that writing, and the alphabet might help.

basically i just went for the optimal pack-as-many-in in the west. this will be very good in the short run (and who needs the long run?). i think rushing is a good idea, but it is risky. if you can settle the cities marked peacefully (and you will have to be very aggressive) then i would wait until jumbos.

EDIT: ok so i clicked quote rather than edit, so sue me.

However would he be able to beat the immortal AI to all those cities?

if he kills England when with ease:) Of course some english may not fit in this dotmap and need some raising:)

If you want Glight then you need to start working towards it pretty soon. May have time to get out a settler beforehand, something like warrior>settler>worker>lighthouse while researching wheel>sailing>masonry.
On the other hand you might want to eliminate Liz and claim those nice sites for yourself in which case its rax>chariot>chariot>etc while reseraching wheel>IW>pottery (to stop economy crashing).
Imho you're very unlikely to manage both so need to decide about now which one to go for.

However would he be able to beat the immortal AI to all those cities?

If he wants to super aggressive expo that way, he's guaranteed to still lose either the corn or cow site closest to lib. Since he's CRE he might be able to box her out after that with some aggressive chopping, but due to travel distance it's probably a reach to keep her from settling at least 2 cities east of her current one.

Chariot rush is in fact somewhat risky but he's already got horses so he can start building them pre-2000 BC...if she doesn't have BFC copper he's probably got her since her unitprob is only 20. It's not THAT risky to hit with chariots. It might be more dangerous to get boxed in with fewer cities actually...although you can probably win this start either way.

Edit: I'd take a dead liz and a powerful financial grassland region over GLH any day. Good as GLH is, a dead AI without sacrificing much expansion is a huge boost.

Look it is still relatively risky, but the rewards can be great. Going for the peacefull way is also safe and can be succesfull.

It is all what you feel like and think is best for an ALC game.

Personally I would like to see how to block now and take liz with construction later.
I have seen and done loads of chariot rushes but am not good at the second route.
I never seem to be able to fight at construction and end up going for lib and gunpowder.
AI's like to tech construction and trade it fairly late so I don't like self researching and end with it too late to matter.

The ALCs haven't actually had that many early rushes - I'm sure everyone here can remember a time Sisutil has dragged his feet in preparation for a war. How about showcasing the ruthless side of Civ and showing us how to pull the trigger once you've got an advantage? We can do a quick peaceful expansion once she's dead.

I would like to see a peaceful expansion and a shot at the GLH. A very valuable wonder (on water maps). You won't be able to build it if you go for the early rush.

Top Bottom