1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ALC Game #5: England/Victoria

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sisiutil, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Khalid

Khalid Warlord

You cant get a tech before you settle the first city is what I think. but I am also late with my idea. i would move the warrior to the hut also and hope for a scout or map.

but as the situation is i would suggest to settle in place. Theres quite a good chance to have bronze or iron on the grassland spot (or horses) so i wouldnt settle there.

2. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I'd still say settle in place.
    In terms of tech-skipping you should be able to trade for older techs off the beeline without necessarily giving away your tech lead but it would help to divert to optics to get to other continent early to give you more tech-trading options.
    You still need to scout the neighborhood before deciding on victory; if you're not going for domination then maybe you abandon your redcoat beeline for something more appropriate to alternative victory. 'Marry in haste, repent at leisure' applies even more to ideas than it does to people.

3. cabert

cabert Big mouth

true enough!
    you still lack a cultural win;)

4. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

Or...you can try the crazy-f*ck maneuver!

It is based on these ideas:
    1. One turn won't really matter in the long run, you can go shopping for city-locations no problem!
    2. Since you are a financial Civ, settling on top of the silk will net you 2 extra commerce/turn in your city-center; a 20% boost to early research.
    3. You're already south of the desert, so the worst that the hidden terrain is going to be is plains. Risk-free*!
    4. If there are any resources you're gonna need in those hills to the north, you can get them easily with your second city, which will be boosted by the floodplains anyways. Your second or third city can be the super-science one instead of your capitol, allowing Stonehenge and Oracle there in there guilt-free.

Anybody with any caution or sense though would just settle on site, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth, etc.

5. cabert

cabert Big mouth

who tells you there isn't another desert?
    there is tundra to the north, the ressource pointers point south, so there is plenty room for another desert south.
    Could also be jungle (high probability IMHO).

6. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

'Cause there are only 2 desert bands around the world. One north of the equator, one south. Look closely at some maps and you'll see that all the deserts occur on 2 discreet bands along the same latitude around the entire world.

If you are north of the equator, and south of the desert, you are entering the juicy Lands at the Edge of the Jungle (tm), which consist mostly of plains fading into grasslands.

7. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Sure about this?
    I already (not continent map though) had more desert than that.
    If it's in the script, i'm glad to learn something good:)
    these forums are full of infos!

Sisiutil : i think you could start an article with links to the different ALC (and maybe a little resume for each leader you tried). I didn't find ALC 1 :sad:

8. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

There are 2 bands of desert, but not all terrain in those bands is desert. If fresher terrain intrudes due to coasts or mountains/hills (affects rainfall patterns), it can appear as though the desert is split. In actuality, it is the same desert, just in parts. More precisely, there are 2 dry bands around the world.

Snow
    Tundra
    Grassland/plains
    Desert
    Grassland/plains
    Equatorial Jungles
    Grassland/plains
    Desert
    Grassland/plains
    Tundra
    Snow

9. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Ok, makes sense. Thank you!guess i should sleep more:smoke:

10. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

This is modeled after the real world.

Northern deserts: Southwest/Mexico, North-Africa/Middle-East, Central Asia

Southern Deserts: Namib/Kalahari, Australia, Atacama, Patagonia(parts)

The biggest determiner is lattitude (global weather patterns), second to that is mountain-ranges (local weather patterns).

Such holds true for Civ, since the map generation was based on the real world.

11. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Wow this is very usefull information. Never thought of it that way. Thx Hans. Great info.

But why are you south of the desert? Tundra is right up ahead as Sisiutil said. So this is the first grassland/plain. Then there is a chance for desert and then another plains/grassland part. So a little more to the south could be desert without problems.

12. cabert

cabert Big mouth

i have the feeling that there will be plenty barbarian activity, in this game unless you fog bust to the north.

still a lot of time ahead, of course, but gives even more sense in warrior building

13. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

You are in the middle of the desert. Foodplains = desert. If Sissy took the crazy-f*ck option, he would then be south of the desert. There is only 1 desert band on either side of the equator. The only real uncertainty in starts lies in whether you can tell which grass/plains band you are in.

14. cabert

cabert Big mouth

we are for sure on the north desert band, look at the ressource pointer

15. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Again learning something new. I didn't make the connection yet between desert and flood plains, which is not so strange as desert gives no food but floodplains give an abundance.

So right now we know we are looking at a very small band in one screen. Tundra/grassland/desert/grasslands are already present. Could this also be an indicitation how wide this land mass is? Just wondering.

16. Betafor

Betafor Dictator

Very good... I'm actually suprised more people don't know this.

This is me being smart for the day, feel free not to read this if you just woke p or its late.

What you are seeing here is a map of both real life winds and projected winds. the "cells" around the outside of the earth is wind patterns if the earth was not rotating. Look at those, because the roatation doesnt matter for this. warm, most air from teh tropics goes up and over the cold air in the hadley cell, where, very high up and at a higher latitude, it cools, bringing lots of rain because the water condensation at lower temperatures. This has an interesting effect. The space in between it hit by almost no rain at all, and gets a LOT of high pressure air, which is ususally dry and colder, making it easier for deserts to devloup near the equator and tundra/ice to form farther up in latitutde (th pattern coninutes), while ensuring that the belt in between has enough rain, and of course, the jungle at the equator.

17. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

18. Avair

Avair Chieftain

I will actually vote to got west one square and settle the plains/forest square next turn. It basically gives you enough room due east to drop your second city in the floodplains/hills, and potentially a third NE along the river.

19. glokkonn

glokkonn Chieftain

So the crazy fick alternative is to move the settler 2 south (done in one turn), and get a starting city that has the following characteristics:

per turn production: 1 Food, 2 Hammers, 3 Commerce
    extra bonus: +1 happiness for all cities due to the silk

Is this correct?

So for happiness, the bottom line is:

From the beginning of the game until Calendar is researched plus 5 or so turns for creating the plantation - +1 happiness instead of 0 happiness.

Once Calendar is researched and the silk square is worked - +1 happiness either way (although placing the city there means the silk never has to be worked, its automatically absorbed and used by the civ).

Is this correct as well?

The +3 commerce bonus for plantation seems to be not so important since the plantation will be competing with towns and villages. Though one tile creating 1 Food, 2 Hammers and 5 Commerce would be available if the city were not placed on the silk square.

20. StevenJoyce

StevenJoyce Chieftain

I like the plains hill NW,N.

You get:
    Fresh water
    Plains hill
    At least four flood plains
    At least three hills (not including the city square)
    At least two riverside grass tiles
    At least five forests
    And a fair number of unknown tiles

This is clearly the strongest spot, provided the unknown tiles aren't too bad. At it only costs 1 turn to get there.