Alej's Maps of the World [TSL]

Alej54

Chieftain
I'm finally able to share my map pack here, so we can discuss it.

TWO NEW EARTH MAPS 128*80 and 80*52 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR BRAVE NEW WORLD ONLY.

Collection of maps of the world with TSL, realistic resources and natural wonders.
The goal is to have playable maps with balance and flavour in mind.
Tested to death and crowded like it should (not-so crowded).
Maps default with no Time victory, most-asked Epic speed and King difficulty! If you don't like it, don't hesitate to report and/or change it in Worldbuilder.

The two new world maps are a mixture of true starting locations, realistics resources and balanced experiences. Civ roster will be changed after some period of times to accomodate with new civs or just mood. You can always change the TSL in Worldbuilder, i strongly recommend doing so, it's simple and i want you to power your vision of Earth map in mine. Feel free to customize it to your taste!

For the regional maps, I decided to split the civs in those maps to dedicate on one experience per civ. I'm choosing what civs are on what maps with balance and flavour in mind. If things have to be nerfed, they will.

- In Africa, you can play as Morroco, Assyria, Arabia, Babylon, Carthage, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greece, Persia, Rome, Songhai and Zulu.

- In Asia, you can play as China, Japan, Mongol, Korea, Siam, India, Huns and Indonesia.

- In Europe, you can play as the Celts, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Venice, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Byzantium, Ottoman Empire and Russia.

- In America, you can play as USA, Iroquois, Shoshones, Aztec, Inca, Maya, Brazil and Polynesia.

You can download it here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161025586

Spoiler :
Installation:
Just click subscribe on my item in Steam Workshop (the green button) to have the most updated version of the pack.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161025586
Or download it here at the end of this post. And place the mapfiles in My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Maps.

Playing the map:
Once you're in the game go to Main Menu - Mods - Activate mod - Next - Single Player - set up game not Main Menu - Single Player - set up game. Choose one of the Alej_map from the drop down menu.

IMPORTANT: To avoid that random civilizations, starting positions and resources appear in your game (for instance China in Egypt) or if you start at the wrong place it is essential that you click the following button after choosing the map in the game setup screen, in order to have all the game elements as intended:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-15640085/CivilizationV_DX11-2012-08-17-11-10-58-25.jpg.html

Now select your Civ and difficulty level. Done.

Known issues:

Workshop problems
If the map doesn't show up in your mod list, just delete the game cache in username\documents\\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache and restart the game.

Strange Civs in your game
If you do not own BNW, GnK and DLC civs, the game fills their gap with random civilizations. So you might encounter Siam in Babylon.

Thanks to Hormigas for the borrowed text.

Some other screenshots. From an Alej_Africa's game.
Spoiler :

It's beautiful, i'm loving those endgame screenshots!

TSL maps are so tasteful. Hope you like my maps. ;)

Crédits for Gedemon, Hormigas and various others because ALL of my work is based on their works. It would have much more difficult for me to do all that without those invisible hands helping me. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Alej_Earth_Mini.Civ5Map
    100.2 KB · Views: 539
  • Alej_World_Africa.Civ5Map
    144.1 KB · Views: 446
  • Alej_World_America.Civ5Map
    133.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Alej_World_Asia.Civ5Map
    147.4 KB · Views: 492
  • Alej_World_Europe.Civ5Map
    161.8 KB · Views: 698
  • Alej_Earth.Civ5Map
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,027
Your maps are great and look very accurate, why not add Japan to the Amerika (Pacific) map?

I will try out the Europe Africa map, its a very smart idea to split Europe, because it usually become to crowded. It looks like there was a real Roman Empire in your game. Awesome.

Your maps are great and look very accurate, why not add Japan to the Amerika (Pacific) map?

I will try out the Europe Africa map, its a very smart idea to split Europe, because it usually become to crowded. It looks like there was a real Roman Empire in your game. Awesome.

For Japan, I want the archipel to be an option for Polynesia's expansion. Polynesia is very weak by default, furthermore when there is a continent to the east, full of civs with big areas to expand. Half of Australia and Oceanian islands aren't enough. And then, if Japan were on the map, it would be isolated for a good tier of the game... I don't think it's a good idea.

Yeah Rome is very big and threatening in my game, long time since i saw that happen. They have eaten Greece very early, then some Assyrian lands, and they are expanding like crazy since (they have come to South Lybia now). What i think is surprising though, is the Egyptian recent expansion in Arabia... They are beating Persia in my game right now!

My true rival is Songhai... Was my friend for 400 turns, but he has just dropped some atomic bombs in my Saharan lands. Askia is a very guy.

Is there any way you can post a link for a download other than STEAM?? I have an appstore version :(

Love your maps and the Challenge of the raging barbs! On the Africa maps, shouldn't there be some CS's on the Mediterranean?

congratulations very nice maps!
my "old" computer would like to thank you also for helping him to stay alive

congratulations very nice maps!
my "old" computer would like to thank you also for helping him to stay alive

totally agreed.

seriously, these maps look awesome! including not only TSL, but also realistic resources and natural wonders is a major plus. you've also obviously spent time to select specific regional civs. I'm very excited to try these out, and even more so to see what your 60x60 options look like!

You will be happy. The first 60*60 map is up!
It's IndianOcean and is about... the indian ocean.

Next one will be NordicWorld.

@Alej54, on your Europe map, were you aware that most of the iron resources on the map do not have a quantity of iron indicated so they default to quantity 1? I got well into an epic game before I realized this then loaded Worldbuilder and confirmed it was true for most of the map.

@Alej54, on your Europe map, were you aware that most of the iron resources on the map do not have a quantity of iron indicated so they default to quantity 1? I got well into an epic game before I realized this then loaded Worldbuilder and confirmed it was true for most of the map.

It is WAD. I will verify this, but it should have plenty of "1" quantity and some other with more. It's like that on all the maps to create value and conflict.

edit: so we have more than one in Scotland, in Scandinavia, in Russia, in Georgia, in Turkey (near Tarsus), in Syria, in Sicily, in Spain, in Swiss and between Poland and Germany. :) But yes, it's seems to be not enough, and i've forgotten to up quantities for coal. Thanks for the help.

These look absolutely amazing! Just what I was looking for! I've always wanted a standard size Europe with near all the civs - never quite found the right one. This looks very promising :D

Thanks. Don't hesitate to make a little feedback. So I can make proper overhaul time after time. Next map will be NordicWorld (Groenland to Russia, centered on Baltic Sea, and Spitzberg at the north), but it will not make it very soon, i'm testing the other maps right now (1 civ after 1 civ, it's fun, lol).

Recently played on the Indian Ocean map as Persia. I think the need a little resource help. There doesn't seem to be a ton of food or rivers unless you quickly expand east or west. Perhaps moving the wheat near the starting location to a non desert tile?

Recently played on the Indian Ocean map as Persia. I think the need a little resource help. There doesn't seem to be a ton of food or rivers unless you quickly expand east or west. Perhaps moving the wheat near the starting location to a non desert tile?

Yeah, there will be a massive resources' overhaul. Sorry for that. I've just redone the resources on the African map.

Edit: But in that situation, you should note that the combination of Wheat, Oasis and Deer should be ok for Persepolis (it's no Babylon) with a Granary. It's not legendary start, even if i acknowledge that it requires some work to be better. I'm actually playing a Persia game on the African map, and there's no Wheat or Deer near Persepolis, just Sheep and Salt... I'm in the 300s turns and it's totally ok in terms of food, i'm actually leader in terms of score and food (and second about science). Persia is meant to be played as a commerce/production civ. Furthermore, food doesn't go very well with Golden Age.

Yeah, there will be a massive resources' overhaul. Sorry for that. I've just redone the resources on the African map.

Edit: But in that situation, you should note that the combination of Wheat, Oasis and Deer should be ok for Persepolis (it's no Babylon) with a Granary. It's not legendary start, even if i acknowledge that it requires some work to be better. I'm actually playing a Persia game on the African map, and there's no Wheat or Deer near Persepolis, just Sheep and Salt... I'm in the 300s turns and it's totally ok in terms of food, i'm actually leader in terms of score and food (and second about science). Persia is meant to be played as a commerce/production civ. Furthermore, food doesn't go very well with Golden Age.

I hear you. I actually moved the first city to the coast to get the fish for more food. With the AI churning out settlers at an alarming rate, i missed a few good 2nd city spots. Other than my capital, i struggled to get cities bigger than 4.

Alej, if only I could play a merger of your Europe and Africa maps. Alas, one cannot crudely copy swathes of tiles from one map to another...

EDIT: What I was envisioning was a Europe with this layout

i really like these maps, i'm not finished with the Indian Ocean game yet but it feels balanced, which is something some maps miss out. If theres an option to play as a random civ that would be a nice touch, but it's really a nice set of maps.

Top Bottom