1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by DJ Bonebraker, Nov 29, 2010.

1. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

"One pill makes you larger, another makes you small, and the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all, just ask Alice when she's 10 feet tall...." - White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane

Well, here's a "grown up" version of the classic Alice from the Wonderland series.

Go down the Rabbit Hole

2. Deth McBones

Deth McBones The Inconsistent Modder

Looks great! I like the mallet.

3. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Lovely! :)

EDIT: One idea for future Victorian females you may wish to make, could be to make them "courtesy" instead of bow? :)

4. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

Good job ,Hikaro. Even Caroll would be pleased with your version ,I think. :)

5. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Makes me want to go play croquet. In ways, the blunt force of the mallet may be more deadly than the dagger! Great job Hikaro!*

* The radioactive green background is a nice change from the magenta (on the eyes that is). :)

6. DJ Bonebraker

The reason I ended up using the Green BG (and will likely be using it in the future on certain units) is that when you have a unit with bright-red items/accessories, there is a tendency for the brighter shades of Red to be mistaken for some of the BG color by my paint program when it applies the palette, so I ended up with pinkish spots on the sword and her tights... By simply re-mapping the shadow colors (all I did was go into the PaintShop Pro palette editing tool and set the "hue" to, IIRC, 83) to green, and re-rendering with a suitably green BG, I was able to completely eliminate the problem... I also ended up using this technique with my General Beatrix unit and at least one other as of yet unreleased unit that I made recently to solve palette issues.

In the future, if I end up doing a unit that has a lot of red (or maybe even one that uses Red as its civ-coloring), I'm going to set the BG to straight Green (RGB = 0,255,0) from the get-go so I don't end up having to re-render the entire unit after finding palette bugs when rendering on a magenta BG.

7. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Ouch. You missed a tremendous opportunity for the fidget; she should have played croquet.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Hello Alice. Thank you, Hikaro, for filling a much needed-to-be-filled hole in our unit lines, which have presumed an Alice from the first. Thanks for all the time you put into it, and for putting up with our kibbitzing.

I was about to say, that should be "curtsy', but when I looked it up, the spelling of it is also correct. It is odd to see a girl in a pinafore bow, I'd have to admit.

9. georgestow

georgestow Proud to be Awesome

Awesome! :goodjob: Amazing unit there.

Good call on Jefferson Airplane too. <3

10. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

Great job, Hikaro. Looks really nice and well animated!:goodjob::)

11. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

needs a AK47

12. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

13. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

14. DJ Bonebraker

Glad you guys like her.