Alien and God

Dida

YHWH
If intelligent life are found on other planets and they look vastly different from human, perhaps they are reptiles or insects rather than mammal or something completely out of the box, would that finding shake your belief in God, because Earth was supposed to have some special meaning as the only place of life in the Christian cosmology and we were supposedly made in the image of God?

no it would not effect my faith, it will effect my desire to go on a crusade an kill all of the abominations who are not made in gods image.

The sad thing is that some people think these aliens would still have been corrupted by the original sin.

Sorry guys! I guess the whole conversion work just got harder.

If intelligent life are found on other planets and they look vastly different from human, perhaps they are reptiles or insects rather than mammal or something completely out of the box, would that finding shake your belief in God, because Earth was supposed to have some special meaning as the only place of life in the Christian cosmology and we were supposedly made in the image of God?

If I were a believer, I would argue that what was revealed to humans was that which humans could understand at the time. Or I'd just interpret foreigners as being aliens, not Moabites.

I think that if we contacted intelligent alien life, and they were Christians, I would seriously consider rethinking my atheist paradigm (or if they were some other earthly religion).

But if the aliens had their own religion, I would knock 'em down a peg or two on the "intelligent life" meter. But this will open up new opportunities for religious wars! Halo anyone?

I think that if we contacted intelligent alien life, and they were Christians, I would seriously consider rethinking my atheist paradigm (or if they were some other earthly religion).

Would alien Jesus still look like a Northern European?

Hopefully it would have some effect on dualism. Dualism is a plague on rational thinking, sometimes.

.... because Earth was supposed to have some special meaning as the only place of life in the Christian cosmology and we were supposedly made in the image of God?
Earth maybe special but it's pretty clear in scriptures there are other beings beside Earth, thus not the only place for life. Angels as well as some unknown creatures John (in Rev) saw around God's throne for a example.

Earth maybe special but it's pretty clear in scriptures there are other beings beside Earth, thus not the only place for life. Angels as well as some unknown creatures John (in Rev) saw around God's throne for a example.

Good thing the bible was vague enough on those creatures that you can say they might represent aliens.

Good thing the bible was vague enough on those creatures that you can say they might represent aliens.
Even if they looked exactly like us but definition would be called aliens. Still the point is the bible does mention life outside of Earth even though it doesn't go into great details.

I don't claim to be a biblical scholar, but does it say anywhere in the Bible that Earth is the only planet God created? I don't recall that. I'm certain that it says he created the heavens, so I would assume that that means he created all planets and any life that inhabits them.

Regardless of the details, I doubt that this would shake my faith.

The authors of the bible gave no evidence that they even knew that the Earth was a planet. Most references to the shape of the Earth make more sense if the authors thought it was flat. The Bible also doesn't distinguish "heavens" as the sky vs. "Heaven" the magical extra-dimension.

The Old Testament can be (and probably is mostly) a complete fabrication, but that would indicate nothing about the existence of God. Only that the Old Testament is <redacted>.

Only an ignorant individual with a very weak faith, would require that the Bible be true in order to maintain his belief in the almighty God.

So I think you are asking this question in order to call out the ignorant schmucks and laugh at them.

Moderator Action: Please do not use foul language. If you trigger the autocensor, please rephrase.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This doesn't conflict with my view of the universe at all.

I don't see how it would conflict your orthodox Christianity any more than discovering the new world did. Enrich and develop it? Sure. Conflict it? No.

I don't think that the bible specifically refers to aliens (apart from angelic beings) or to other planets, but it does often refer to there being many heavens and I think I vaguely remember a reference to God as a lord of many worlds as well. There s nothing specifically saying that he did not create life elsewhere, but also no indication that he did or that we should concern ourselves about such matters. Christianity makes no predictions about whether their is alien life, so its discovery would not really prove or disprove anything (although what we learn from the aliens could be taken as evidence for or against it I guess, depending on what that is).

I believe that I've read that the Koran specifically states that God made many different inhabited worlds, so the existence of alien life may very well strengthen the Islamic faith. As Islam is supposed to be preached not only to men but also to djinni (who were not made in God's image but do have free will to serve him or rebel), there would probably be a great effort to convert any sentient species encountered.

I don't claim to be a biblical scholar, but does it say anywhere in the Bible that Earth is the only planet God created? I don't recall that. I'm certain that it says he created the heavens, so I would assume that that means he created all planets and any life that inhabits them.

Regardless of the details, I doubt that this would shake my faith.

wasn't there a bit in it about God making us in His image? that would certainly be thrown a bit by tentacly bug-eyed parrots from outer space who are more evolved than us (the latter part is important, see other posts).

I can see it being rationalized away, though. what I really want to see is those aliens having cloven feet, red skin, a tail, forked tongue and horns (throw in just about every pop culture detail we have about the Big Bad and give it a round in the blender) and then cue the comic "we gave him [Jesus] a box of chocalates and he comes back every two weeks. why? what did you guys do?".

wasn't there a bit in it about God making us in His image? that would certainly be thrown a bit by tentacly bug-eyed parrots from outer space who are more evolved than us (the latter part is important, see other posts).

Why must "his image" be taken literally, and even if it is taken literally, why must all other sapient creations be made in his image?

Why must "his image" be taken literally, and even if it is taken literally, why must all other sapient creations be made in his image?

the latter: they might be ungodly, inferior because they were not 'chosen to be like Him', God forbid (teehee) that they have vastly different beliefs or customs. we, as a race, were always very good with making stuff up that justified the 'us versus them' mindset. we'd be more creative than me, though, granted.

the former: why is 'homosexuality is a sin' (paraphrased) taken literally but not 'eating shellfish is as sin'? why isn't 'selling your kid into slavery is okay-ish' taken literally? you tell me, I ain't got no sodding clue... all depends on what you can get away with is my guess.

Top Bottom