1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alien Presence and Ultrasonic Fences

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by triheptyl, Nov 3, 2014.

1. triheptyl

triheptyl Warlord

If you get an Ultrasonic Fence but have Aliens near your city, your Citizens will be prevented from working tiles near them. If an Ultrasonic Fence prevents Aliens from getting within 2 tiles of a city, why are these tiles "Blockaded" by Aliens 3-4 tiles away from the city? The people "working" these tiles are under absolutely no threat, it doesn't make sense that they get scared and can't work these tiles.

I mention this because in my last game I founded a city with a ton of Algae around it. There was a couple Kraken trolling around nearby, and it was much too early in the game to effectively deal with them, so I got an Ultrasonic Fence instead. Too bad the city is still stagnate and can't grow because I can't work the Algae within 2 tiles, just because that Kraken looks scary or something?

2. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

the game forces you to give them new orders when a enemy is near but you should be able to build it anyway. just click the build improvement button every time (same improvement ofc but with algae that's no problem:p) you will see that the turns it takes to build will actually go down each turn, so you can still build improvements, you just have to click a lot for it.....

3. triheptyl

triheptyl Warlord

I'm not talking about building improvements. What I mean is a city's population can't work the tile, even though it is totally safe.

4. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Screenshots might help in determining whether this is a bug. Or just the standard ability of hostile sea units to close off large sections of water.

5. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

sorry misunderstood.
    sounds like a bug, if the kraken was on the tile than it would make sense (could not work a farm in civ5 or 4 if a barbarian was there but nearby should be fine (especially with the fence)

Edit: Bando, can they also close of ocean tiles inside the fence?

6. Kaigen

Kaigen Warlord

Sea units blockade tiles within a certain radius of them, which prevents them from being worked. An Ultrasonic Fence won't stop this effect (though it will still keep them from getting too close to your city).

Incidentally, even if the alien units are friendly, sea dragons/kraken will still blockade your tiles, even when land-based aliens will allow you to work tiles underneath them.

7. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

oke, so thats how it works, now the next question, is that how its supposed to work? i mean, why not work those tiles if they are friendly?
    and why wont the land ones prevent you from working? might be wrong but it seems like either the land or naval aliens are bugged...

8. triheptyl

triheptyl Warlord

I just don't get how you can be blockaded from working tiles within an Ultrasonic Fence. The Aliens literally cannot touch you inside of it, why would their presence even matter then?

9. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

no idea, maybe the fence doesn't go into the water, or the water weakens it, while its very weird, you could come up with a few theories to justify that, just cant come up with one why land and naval aliens have other rules about what tiles you can work if they occupy or threaten them.

and as far as the fence goes, it should either prevent them from taking any action in your waters or the fence should not work for water tiles at all, not this...

10. KiNg_

KiNg_ Chieftain

The way I'd see it is that it's kind of like those mosquito repellent sound things. The ultrasonic sound makes aliens stay away because they hate the sound but krackens have massive tentacles. The fence isn't a physical barrier, more just something that scares off the aliens, but a tentacle can't get scared so they could still take a swing at things. Just my opinion.