All-Canadian Mod

Benjamin Miller

Deranged Helicopter Pilot
I'm currently working on a Candian mod that, instead of giving Canada a civ, gives each province and territory a civilization. I'm making all the barbarians american, so you will see stuff like "Charlottetown was just ransacked by New Yorker warriors!" :D I'm having a problem coming up with traits and especially UUs. I'm making Québec and Ontario the militaristic civs, Québec especially, and PEI and Newfoundland will probably get some sort of boats. If anyone has any ideas, city lists or anything that would be great. My biggest problem is what to do with the remaining 3 civs, after our 13 provinces and territories are implemented. I'm thinking maybe Greenland, First Nations, and/or the Federal Government but that might get weird on a world map. (except greenland).

I'll update you on the progress of this mod, and I hope for suggestions.

Great idea, and one I did with Civ2, but without the colour - since there were no UU's, etc.

As a transplanted British Columbian who has lived in Alberta, the NWT, Manitoba and currently works in Ontario, and as a former flack in intergovernmental affairs who's been to a First Minister's Meeting and several lesser ranked interprovincial conferences, I hope I can shed a little light on this by suggesting:

Militaristic should mean aggressive in confederation, so

Ontario (ok, but only recently)
Quebec
Alberta

Be prepared for a huge run of posts this afternoon with my suggestions. Sorry, but I care about this one!

R.III

Suggestion one:

Leaders:

BC: William "Bill" Vander Zalm (the fun choice, although W.A.C. Bennett would be a more responsible pick)
Alberta: Peter Lougheed (Klein is good, but who had more influence on what Alberta is today?)
Saskatchewan: Tommy Douglas
Manitoba: Ed Schreyer, or if you want to be risque, Louis Riel
Ontario: Mike Harris :D
Quebec: Rene Levesque

And suggestions from the Atlantic would be appreciated because, true to form, I really don't have a western Canadian clue, except for a random suggestion list of:

Newfoundland: Joey Smallwood (Tobin as the fun choice)
Nova Scotia? Oh well, who knows who would be good.
PEI: Maybe Ghiz?
New Brunswick: My god, I've forgotten his name, and he was supposed to be PM material - the idiot Liberal who kept pulling in call-in centres during the '80s. Frank, Frank, Frank.... Mckenna!

And, to round out more of the 16:

11. Federalists: Pierre Trudeau
12. Assembly of First Nations: Ovide Mercredi

13. Nunuvat
14. NWT
15. Yukon

I have to go dig through my files to get names for these fellas:

16. Option on (a) Quebec Federalists using Charest or Bourassa, or (b) Metis Confederacy under Riel, if not used above.

Typical American. Your so ignorant you don't even know anything about the countries that borders yours.

Attachments

• usa_idea_of_world.gif
    usa_idea_of_world.gif
    56.4 KB · Views: 207
Great map!!! Should be some beer in Germany though!

As a Yankee, American, Capaitalistic Pig (and any other name, both good and bad, you can think of for an American) I can't wait to take a play at this mod. Would love to help develop our largest state! :D :D

Don't mean to critize anyone Canadian friends out there. I mean Canda is a large player on the world stage. Without them, who would American say they were when we travel to countires that don't like us? I myself have been 'Canadian' on a number of different occassions.

Seriously, keep up the work on the mod. I would love to see more mods similar to this. One for Greece with all the city states, Germany the different tribes. We already have the British Isles so we need more!

Originally posted by Richard III
And suggestions from the Atlantic would be appreciated because, true to form, I really don't have a western Canadian clue, except for a random suggestion list of:

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I can cover the Atlantic pretty well, as my family comes from New Brunswick loyalists, although I really have no clue Manitoba onwards :). Which should work out well.

This is finally something Americans can't do. Unless they find someway to fit 50 civs into the game :D.

Wonders:

Basically, a renaming process: I can't stand tinkering too much. Can I suggest? If you really want to go hogwild and ALL canadian?

Apollo project - Canadarm project

United Nations - Constitutional Patriation

Manhattan Project - Comox Project, since all of those nukes were there in the 60s-80s.

Great Lighthouse: Bay of Fundy Lighthouse
(you know, the one they have in all the damn pictures)

Colossus - Golden boy, to insult all of those Manitobans (they have a statue like that on the top of their leg, and since the province is devoid of anything distinctive, it is often used as a symbol of the province)

Universal Suffrage - can stay the same, or be called "Responsible Government"

JS Bach's Cathedral should be Notre Dame Cathedral (after Montreal's)

Sistine Chapel could be St. Albert's Mission - after the catholic missionary who crawled all over Alberta (had to give them one)

Darwin's Voyage should be Banting's Discovery

Great Wall should be the Citadel (after Quebec's)

Great Library should be the Canadian Archives or Museum of Civilization

Newton's University should be the Great University (any selection here could be complicated - I'd say UVic's is it personally, :D but...)

Pyramids - what the hell? Perhaps the Agricultural College? And Ontario struggles to put it in Guelph, but... Or it it could be named for what's-his-name's immigration policy.

Heroic epic should be Militia tavern (kidding - militia armory would serve well)

Wall Street and Adam Smith - since their can only be one Bay street, I suggest renaming Wall street as "commodity exchange" or "stock exchange," and the Great wonder would be Bay street. Both the partisan and the cynic in me could make a credible argument that Smith's Co. should be "the common sense revolution." To take the partisan view, Smith's is supposed to have private financing for much of the cost of government, and the CSR supposedly did the same. To take the cynic's view, the CSR has meant fees pay for everything instead of taxes, so, same diff. But the timeframe - mercifully for folks like HistoryBuff - is too early.

Hoover Dam - Conawapa Dam (as yet unbuilt) or James Bay Dams

Battlefield Medicine - Canada's only Civ3 wonder - can be Bethune's Hospital

Magellan should be, what, pick a Maritime one: Cabot? Who was the captain of that post-war cruise through the NW passage?

Ironworks: Stelco.

Forbidden Palace: to be honest, I'd be boring and say "regional ministry," or "decentralized bureaucracy," since this seems to have the same effect.

And last but not least, to make me and Danny Evilcat happy, the Hanging Gardens are, of course, Butchart's Garden's, taking care of B.C..

Sun Tsu's Art of War can be Royal Military College/College Militaire Royal.

What am I missing?

Good ideas. And we also must rename Colloseum to "Hockey Arena" :).

Here's what I've come up with, Civ-wise:

Ontario: Militaristic, Scientific
Québec: Militaristic, Religious
Alberta: Militaristic, Industrious
Nunavut: Expansionist, ???
Yukon: Commercial (Gold Rush), Militaristic (Mounties)
NWT: Expansionist, ???
PEI: Industrious, Commercial
Newfoundland: Religious, Commercial
Nova Scotia: Scientific, Commercial
New Brunswick: Commercial, ???
BC: Industrious, Scientific
Saskatchewan: Industrious, Religious
Manitoba: Industrious, ???

First Nations: Religious, Scientific
Federal Government: Commercial, Expansionist
Unknown: Unknown

Special Units:

Québec: Separtist Fanatic
Nova Scotia: Schooner
Nunavut: Some sort of Husky Sled Thing
Yukon: Mountie

Originally posted by Benjamin Miller

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I can cover the Atlantic pretty well, as my family comes from New Brunswick loyalists, although I really have no clue Manitoba onwards :). Which should work out well.

This is finally something Americans can't do. Unless they find someway to fit 50 civs into the game :D.

An american mod would probably divide the US into regions as opposed to states. New England, Mid Atlantic, West Coast, etc. Actually sounds pretty interesting if anyone wants to give it a go.

As for the Canadian Mod, keep it coming! Are you guys working on a 'ture' map as well?

I just started it yesterday, so as of now, I'm not working on a map. But I will make a CPF file for Jason's North America map. So you will be able to colonize the US.

Originally posted by Benjamin Miller
Good ideas. And we also must rename Colloseum to "Hockey Arena" :).

And palaces should be renamed parliaments or legislatures.

>Ontario: Militaristic, Scientific

I agree. I'd been leaning towards commercial, but either makes sense.

>Québec: Militaristic, Religious

>Alberta: Militaristic, Industrious

Yup, although ditto Ontario on Alberta re: commercial.

>Nunavut: Expansionist, ???

Tough call, I would say commercial - to represent all the big subsidies they pull from Ottawa and their willingness to sign away natural resource rights, ha ha.

>Yukon: Commercial (Gold Rush), Militaristic (Mounties)

Thought of disagreeing, but sounds good I suppose.

NWT: Expansionist, ???

Oh, commercial, definitely. Have you ever shopped in Yellowknife when the miners are in for the weekend?

>PEI: Industrious, Commercial

I don't know about industrious, here. I'd say diplomatic if it was an ability, but it ain't.

>Newfoundland: Religious, Commercial

And I'd have to say industrious rather than commercial here. Considering that NWF is full of hardy types who haven't exactly hit the commercial big leagues.

>Nova Scotia: Scientific, Commercial

Yah, definitely, all those universities.

>New Brunswick: Commercial, ???

and religious? The Bablyon of Canada?

>BC: Industrious, Scientific

Hmmmm. We are a spiritual people?

>Saskatchewan: Industrious, Religious

I'd make them scientific, give a nod to the NDP and potash and free health care and so on, and in part to balance:

>Manitoba: Industrious, ???

Religious

>First Nations: Religious, Scientific

Gotta give 'em a scout, I'd say expansionist

>Federal Government: Commercial, Expansionist

I was going to say scientific, but having seen the federal spending power in action first hand, I suppose expansionist might be in order!

Metis - really, they should be in! - religious and expansionist

Special units:

I've tried to suggest direct counterparts to existing UU's whereever possible.

Yukon - Mountie, as you'd suggested

British Columbia - F-18 (can use the F-16, I suppose) to represent the comox/abbotsford airbases, or "RN Cruiser," to replace the ironclad, with more bombardment force, to represent the fleets deployed there during the pig war.

Alberta - Heavy tanks - panzers, representing the Calgary Tanks, Lord Strathcona horse, etc. of WWII

Saskatchewan - Field Force (represents troops in war with Metis) -

Manitoba - I actually wondered if using a better bomber might not be cool, a'la the commonwealth air training plan used out there that relied on mitchells that look an awful lot like the bombers in Civ3.

NWT- spear-hunter - redrawn Impi

Metis - Irregular - replaces French musketeer, with same stats.

Ontario - Lake Frigate (e.g. Man-o-War), or Fencibles - upgunned rifle unit.

(Question - I tried to build a ship on a lake today in Civ3 and it wouldn't let me. Is this a solvable problem? Can you designate the Great Lakes and Lake Winnipeg/Manitoba as navigable lakes?)

Quebec - patriotes - I think someone has a graphic of one on another thread somewhere (just think separatist fanatic before confederation). Or, you could have "Vandoo Regiment," and beef up a marine.

Newfoundland - I actually wondered if immortals might work here as Vikings. Cheezy, but has balance opportunities.

New Brunswick: beats the crap out of me. Maybe a lumberjack? A variant on the Jaguar Warrior? To represent all those guys who went and fought the "Aroostook War" with the loggers in Maine?

Nova Scotia - Schooner - make it an extremely fast galleon or carrack. Or could go with a redcoat to replace the musketeer.

PEI - Anne of Green Gables - do you make her a leader or a unit? If the latter (which is cheezy, I'll grant you), then maybe it should be a Or perhaps they could get something like India, where they can build a unit without a resource? Because they will need it!
A MicMac warrior, say, using the Legionnaire stats but w/out iron needed?

First Nations: mounted warrior. don't even need to change the graphic.

Federal Government - LAV Coyote - an up-gunned mech infantry

As you can see, from E-W, most would hit golden ages at justifiable times.

I've been working on suggested leader lists, will add shortly.

Will the map have a northwest passage? Just curious, since naval units will be pretty useless for BC and the West unless it can use them to intervene in all of those constant maritime squabbles

R.III

AFAIK, Jason's North America Map does have a NW Passage, but doesn't have all Arctic Islands. Good suggestions, I'll use them, but I will have to compromise on some special characteristics, to even things out.

I'm probably going to end up using a somewhat modified version of Jason's NA Map. I'd love to build one from scratch, but I suck at map-making. And I've connected the great lakes to the Atlantic, so a Battleship built in Toronto will be able to bombard Charlottetown.

As it should, as it should. Pellaken, watch out! The HMCS Harris has got your number!

R.III

The mod should be finished by the end of the week. I'm starting to add city names, although I often have too many city name, and I have to reduce the number (I guess Alberta's probably not going to build over 400 cities, even on marla's map.)

If anyone want's to make a map of Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and norther US, I'd love that. The map I'm using now is too big, includes the carribean, and doesn't inculde all the arctic islands, so no fighter battle over Alert. :(

Lemme know if you need any suggestions on leaders.

Are you going with the Metis?

R.III

Yep, I've got them in. I've got city lists for everybody except:

Métis
Nunavut
NWT
Federal Government

The city lists will suck, but they are there. Although the Ontario city list is a bit biased, I put towns in my area higher than they should be :D.

I could also use leader lists, although this shouldn't be too hard for me to make myself.

I've Decided on going with the Following traits:

Ontario: Militaristic, Scientific
Québec: Militaristic, Religious
Alberta: Militaristic, Industrious
Yukon: Militaristic, Commercial
Nunavut: Scientific, Expansionist
NWT: Expansionist, Commercial
PEI: Industrious, Commercial
Newfoundland: Religious, Industrious
Nova Scotia: Scientific, Commercial
New Brunswick: Religious, Commercial
BC: Industrious, Scientific
Saskatchewan: Industrious, Scientific
Manitoba: Industrious, Religious
First Nations: Religious, Scientific
Federal Government: Commercial, Expansionist
Métis: Religious, Expansionist

Many of these are for game balance, and thus strech the defintion of the characteristic.

I'm going to bed now, and will do the special units tommorow.

Top Bottom