All leader portraits

This is really a bit strange that they took a depiction which is described as a "Scythian noblewoman " in the book , when ,on the very next page in this book, there is a depiction of a woman described in the Text as "Scythian Queen ". Maybe the first picture was additionally published somewhere else as "queen" ? Tomyris isn´t even mentioned in context of the two pictures in the Osprey book. One other thing to note is, that if the picture in the Osprey book is the original they took their copy from, it is rather small ( under two inches high ), so they must have enlarged it quite a bit.

Obviously they didn't have the book itself. They just googled "queen tomyris" and voila there it is.

Edit: Wow, page 100! :clap:

Obviously they didn't have the book itself. They just googled "queen tomyris" and voila there it is.

Edit: Wow, page 100! :clap:

Just googled it myself.I found the picture and it links to a site for Halloween costumes designs as "Queen Tomyris costume". I hope they don´t do all their research work by this "method" .

100 pages and I've read every damned one. I think it's slowing down now, though.

Just googled it myself.I found the picture and it links to a site for Halloween costumes designs as "Queen Tomyris costume". I hope they don´t do all their research work by this "method" .

If there is no reliable contemporary art depicting the leader in question ...
Artists/designers often like to have some guidance and inspiration. I can't blame them for taking what they could get.

In some other cases it seems that they approached their subjects with more diligence.

Any sort of diligent research would be reflected in having multiple sources, so this screenshot wouldn't be much of an indication either way. I know, past games do show some poor research, but maybe they learned from their mistakes.

No one has the images for the remaining leaders. We'll just have to find out later.

Good detective work though, all. :)

Then it means that these pictures are meant to be easy to find!

My guess is that the missing leaders are out of the alphabetical order on purpose, to make it harder for us. I think that if we were to start googling historical leaders from any civilization that could make into the game, we would soon find it.

Who has the time though? :lol:

and the arm, and the hand, and the bright area under his beard.

Spoiler :

Again, compare our other "perfect" matches. Backgrounds and bright spots and dark spots appear all over the place. The fact that the background is brighter is irrelevant.

Brazil's has an entire black strip that isn't in the match.

Can somebody make the Xerxes picture blurry to see if it matches C5?

Spoiler :

Again, compare our other "perfect" matches. Backgrounds and bright spots and dark spots appear all over the place. The fact that the background is brighter is irrelevant.

I think the differences are too great for this comparison. I am fairly sure the man in the picture is wearing a turban, and is likely an Ottoman sultan. Having said that, the omission of the Persians from either the base game or early DLC would seem very odd.

If there is no reliable contemporary art depicting the leader in question ...
Artists/designers often like to have some guidance and inspiration. I can't blame them for taking what they could get.

In some other cases it seems that they approached their subjects with more diligence.

If we go on the inspirational level, then things could get tricky indeed....

Look at this site: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/81768549459593385/

Here you will find good old Tomyris (a bit down in the rightmost column ) described as
" Sassanid female warrior" . So maybe the Persians are actually in right there with a queen ( would fit alphabetically ) ?
And if we look around a bit more for "inspiration" could we actually find a queen who is a quite nice match for "B5" ?

CaptureH.PNG

But if it is all inspirational we could not know for sure who is actually repesented by these images :crazyeye:

Can somebody make the Xerxes picture blurry to see if it matches C5?

I gave it a shot, but I could't get it to match very well. Didn't even look close and even with adjusting the exposure, contrast, and saturation, I couldn't get anything close. Maybe someone will have better luck applying some different filters, though.

Spoiler :

Good find. That's closer than anything I've seen so far.

To me that fits better than any of the Ottoman guesses but I'm still seeing a Mongol Khan.

Spoiler :

Fur hat with horsehair (like Mongols wear) and a circle chest-plate on leather armour. I did start checking Mayan statues to see if any of those fit but I ran out of notable leaders after Pacal and the Lady of Tikal.

Actually, I do think C5 is probably Mongolian. The style of uniform is very similar:

Ogedei Khan

Actually, I do think C5 is probably Mongolian. The style of uniform is very similar:

Ogedei Khan

This one will need a good deal of cropping and narrowing to match, but could fit the "black part of C5 is a rampant horse" theory. Altough doesn't seem much mongol to me, it comes by googling Ogedei :p

Spoiler :

This one will need a good deal of cropping and narrowing to match, but could fit the "black part of C5 is a rampant horse" theory. Altough doesn't seem much mongol to me, it comes by googling Ogedei :p

Spoiler :

I'm preeeeetty sure that's japanese. :p

If Scythians are in I don't see why the heck they'd also put in the Mongols, over both the Ottomans and Persia. Fills an already-filled niche without adding a significant market (more Turks and Persians that will jump on the game, than Mongolians). They could do it, but it just wouldn't be logical whatsoever. Mongols aren't historically more likely to make the starting game than Ottomans or Persia either.

The Tomyris image I also found on this site, like niewolos' link also a site dedicated to Persian queens/female leaders:
http://www.persepolis.nu/queens.htm

The image is mentioned of northern Iranian peoples specifically the Scythians, but Tomyris is not mentioned in particular. It's true, the only link I'm seeing of that image, to Tomyris, is on a Halloween costume site :lol:

Also to throw in my two cents on the Europe, non-Europe debate with regards to inclusion and what is suggested in the images:

Civ has been moving it seems to try to branch out to inclusion of more and more areas, less Eurocentric, so I would be surprised to see major reversal in Civ 6 relative to Civ 5 myself. I don't think the image should necessary be taken to say, these leaders as you see them are exactly the ones we are launching with and putting in our first DLC's. I think every Civ shown here is going to be included in some form (whether in the form that we guessed, or not), but I don't think there's any guarantee on when. I wouldn't put it past them to pull a SE Asian civ out of the hat, or the Incas/some other pre-European arrival American civ, for launch or one of the very first DLCs.

A japanese depiction of Genghis, I don't see the problem.

I'm pretty sure it's just a depiction of a samurai warrior - someone on pintrerest has incorrectly labelled the image I assume. Genghis Khan wasn't the one who launched the invasions of Japan, it was Kublai, so depictions of a Mongol ruler from the Japanese PoV would have most likely been of him instead. Even then, Mongols did not use war fans like the one the rider is holding in the image (not with the iconic red sun on them at least :lol:), and they didn't have crescents on their helmets.

I'm honestly glad we are able to confirm all of them, it'd be no fun other wise

Top Bottom