1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eMeM

eMeM Chieftain

What...
    Aaah
    Didn't notice the ":" mark.

2. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Just reposting this in case it being buried at the bottom of the previous page means no one notices it:

3. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Finally getting sucked in!:p

For b5, if I go back and look at the original image, I very strongly see a woman in 3/4 view with a white cloth under a crown. I worry the efforts to clarify the pictures might be having the opposite effect, unfortunately.

As for c5, I can't help but see an animal pelt headdress - probably wrong, but maybe...

4. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I see it too, but I can't find a suitable civ that resembles that, so I've reverted to assuming it is an Ottoman leader wearing a turban.

5. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

You mean this one?

Spoiler :

6. Opera

Opera Deity

I can't even imagine the reactions to this. The reactions to Catherine de Medicis would be nothing compared to a female sultan instead of Mehmed II or some other famous Ottoman leader :lol:

7. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

The tears, they are what sustain me.

8. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Why? At least these ruled an empire! These ruled the Ottomans at their most powerful, whilst De Medicis ruled France at a time when it had no empire, and was insignificant next to it's neighbor Spain. Only reason people could be more annoyed I can think of would be that this would seem to be a repeat of something that had already annoyed people.

9. gfeier

gfeier King

Suggestions for mod civilizations:

Fiji (Cakobau), Madagascar (Ranavolona I), Uganda (Mutesa II), Libya (Idriss I), Kenyan (Jomo Kenyatta), Laos (Fa Ngum), Cook Islands (Makea Takau Ariki), Vanuatu (Roy Mata)

You left out the Principality of Hutt River, ably led by Prince Leonard. How could you omit it?

10. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Did anyone suggest C5 could be "Great Seljuk Empire"?

The blob at the top of the "turban" does look crescent shaped.

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Not trying to point you out specifically (the brainstorming is fun anyhow), but I think people are trying too hard with fitting a list into alphabetical order. What's more likely, "Great Seljuk Empire" making it into the game or that the page isn't ordered like people think?

12. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

eh, I have pretty much settled on B5 being a native american chieftain, but there are like 1000s of pictures of them like that. :D
    Also, what looks like a blindfold may be war painting over the eyes, like here:
    Spoiler :

Now, for C5... I have no idea.

13. Nurse Michael

Nurse Michael Chieftain

Hi, just joining in on the bingo contest.

My submission for B5:

Gehver Nesibe, 13th century princess of the Sultanate of Rum, part of the Seljuq Empire.

Spoiler :

Pro's:
    - picture sorta fits?
    - reason to have a female leader, bonus points for being a middle east one
    - alphabetically, for Great Seljuq Empire? Which is a good pick for a civ.
    - famous for having a hospital named after her.

See here for more info:
    http://www.1001inventions.com/womensday?page=4

Con's:
    - she never was a true leader for the Seljuqs, just a royalty.
    - bit obscure leader figure
    - kinda wrestled for the alphabetical order.

14. Hannibal XIII

Hannibal XIII Warlord

Grasping at straws for B5... Hafsa Sultan, first Valide Sultan, wife of Selim Yavuz and mother IIRC of Suleiman Kanuni...
    Spoiler :

15. Opera

Opera Deity

Because there are always people who are annoyed when their favorite "staple" leader isn't used or is replaced by someone they don't consider to be as good a choice. And if it's a woman, you can be sure that female quotas will be mentioned regardless of her worthiness.

All I was saying is that some leaders would be really interesting choices (and I think de Medicis is one) but some people can't see beyond one or two leaders.

16. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Not really any need for making fun of me like that:p! Anyway, those are suggestions for Civ 5 mods. Yes, they may not be especially important nations, but so what? Civ 5 has a very active modding community, and most significant civilisations are already covered.

But, no, that list is not relevant, so I will remember to tick the 'don't show signature' box this time I post!

17. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

Silly conspiracy theory time: these are pictures of food.

18. Xen

Xen Magister

Some of these conjectures make me wonder if theybwoukd try to shoe horn Artemisia of Caria in as the Persian leader. (Yes, inane. But a stone bust witha bust would be par course for Artemisia)

19. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

You can agree or disgree with it, but the arguement agaisnt Catherine De Medicis is clear. It is not that she was a woman, but that was really not that powerful in the grand scheme of things! She was the ruler of France in a Europe dominated by Spain. France alone is not significant enough to be included in the vanilla game when it is in a region of the world where there are already several other nations in the game. It is through its imperial might that France can be justified as a nation to be included in the vanilla game, so why choose a leader without one?

Obviously you will be aware of this, but I feel that many who are in favor of Catherine De Medicis ruling the French in Civ VI aren't quite aware of how much more important a player in world politics France has been at other points in its history.

Under Catherine, only territory was held in modern France, whilst Charles V dominated Europe and the Americas:
    Spoiler :

Louis XIV, however, ruled a large empire with large amounts of territory in Africa, India and the Americas, in a time when Spain was ruled by the mentally and physically disabled Charles II:
    Spoiler :

Napoleon dominated Europe probably more so than any other European leader at the peak of his empire, with Spain being among France's satellite states:
    Spoiler :

And France had one of the largest empires in the world between the world wars under leaders such as Clemenceau, with it maintaining control of its empire through this time, whilst the British empire started to lose its grasp, with the large, resource rich nations of Canada and Australia gaining independence:
    Spoiler :

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I anticipate that Catherine de Medici will be a quarrelsome scheming fiend. She will probably have an espionage bonus and an agenda to do with rumors. I like all of this.

Historical importance be damned. She has Big Personality and will probably have interesting mechanics. That's what counts. And that's why I like the choice.