1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. DarkAlabaster

DarkAlabaster Chieftain

The thing is that I absolutely like her as an idea of a Civilization leader but not as the French Civilization leader. I'll say that it's not easy to decide if one leader is worthy of being in the game but if they chose Afonso... anything goes. :crazyeye:

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yeah for all the people saying others wouldn't criticize Catherine if she was a man! there should be more attention paid to Afonso. Terrible pick for a leader in my opinion. His inclusion is basically an argument for Portuguese inclusion considering his entire rule was based around being a shill for their culture. I mean if his rule was great because he adopted Portuguese traditions then Portugal itself must really be something!

3. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I don't know who you are talking about, but I would be equally critical if anyone else who ruled France at a time when it was weak was included, regardless of gender.

4. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

As which civ, then???? I'm honestly curious; sure, she was a Medici, but she never had any power in Florence or something.

5. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Where is my goryeo king in the palace courtyard (aka b5) ?

6. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Palace courtyard? How can you make that out? Have you got all-seeing eyes?

7. DarkAlabaster

DarkAlabaster Chieftain

I think she would be good in a scenario, like you have super powerful Spain and you try to not die :crazyeye: I just don't like and want her as the base game leader for France.

8. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I agree. She is definitely interesting, but seeing as Spain was so dominant in her time, I don't feel she makes sense as leader for France, as opposed to a leader in charge of France at a time when France was dominant. But I'll stop now because I don't want to get into any more arguements!:D

9. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I agree. There are people who are saying others are upset just because Catherine is a woman which is silly. Now some may think that's the reason she was picked because why else pick her over a number of other much more charismatic and important leaders in French history? Maybe for representation of the Reformation? Who knows, but clearly there are better French leaders

10. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

And?

Citation needed

Firaxis said they were looking for great personalities, not great land areas

So he kept oppressing people for a longer time, congratulations to him :goodjob:

11. Sobornost

Sobornost Chieftain

Not all the leaders included can be hyper-ambitious conquerors. Who wants to play (more than one game) with 15 Genghis Khan's :)

12. illathid

illathid Chieftain

Comparing the size of France to the realm of Karl V is disingenuous at best. The man is the poster boy of winning the dynastic lottery. If even a few minor events had gone differently Burgundy, Austria, and Spain wouldn't have been united in one man. Furthermore, he even gave up rule of Austria after two years of ruling it, spending most of his time in the Netherlands and Spain.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

exactly, I haven't seen anyone upset because shes a woman, but IF she is the leader (I don't believe ALL of the leaders we've uncovered will be in the game) she was only chosen because shes a woman, their are plenty of French kings they could've used if they wanted to do a never-before-seen leader.

they will also have plenty of other opportunities through expansions and DLC to include female leaders, I certainly hope we don't see Boudicca again:cringe:.

and lets not forget Tamar of Georgia (if thats possible) she is another female leader choice and a very deserving one.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Marbozir had a Let's play game where every AI was Attila the Hun. :D

15. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I would have preferred Henry IV, but Catherine will do nicely.

She ruled over France (yes, ruled. She did all the work, if you actually look at more than the regency numbers) for a long period of time, and thus heavily influenced its path. The conflicts she presided over, and the methods with which she used to deal with them, affected French history and ultimately all of European history. While she may not be the most prestigious leader for France, she definitely qualifies as a worthy historical figure.

More importantly, she has a useful personality for gameplay. It would seem that she could try to get along until you wrong her one too many times (which would be variable, so you don't know when that is), and then she will backstab you preemptively to the next crisis (a la the Bartholomew's Day Massacre).

And France is bound to get a second leader at some point, so relax.

16. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Catherine de' Medici as a french leader makes little sense.

With all due respect, those trying to argue against this fact are grasping at straws, basing their arguments in wishful thinking and fancy assumptions about her supposed big personality.

In any case, France has a copious amount of intriguing, provocative and alluring figures that far surpass Cathernie de' Medici in terms of both, true historical relevance and fame. Do a 30 minute wikipedia search and see for yourself.

------

I wonder how this forum would've reacted if the chosen leader for America was Barbara Pierce Bush.

She was, after all:
    -Wife of George H.W. Bush, and therefore First Lady of the White house.
    -Second Lady under Ronald Reagan.
    -Mother of George W.Bush, 43rd president of the United States.
    -Mother of presidential candidate (2015) and Governor of Florida Jeb Bush.

There are plenty of books/articles describing how she influenced her husband, and was a decisive figure in pushing her sons towards presidency too.

17. IdiotStyle

IdiotStyle Warlord

Dat moment when your thread turns into a catherine de medici debate and not B5 and C5 both being tamar of georgia ( have a slight doubt that E1 may be tamar )

18. UkrNixon

UkrNixon Warlord

We all can agree all the rulers are actually Tamar in disguise

19. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I know it's off-topic, but what happened? :O

20. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Citation needed? For what? We are fairly sure that Spain, Germany, England and Rome are all in the game, and those are neighbors to France. And if you are talking about me saying that France is alone not significant enough to be in the game, without its empire, that is an opinion; how can I provide citation for that?

I won't address your other points, as I have already addressed the same points previously, and have moved on from discussing De Medicis. But I can't say I agree with your opinion of Clemenceau; you don't want him in the game because he was an oppressor? Then you are probably playing the wrong game; look at Stalin, Genghis Khan, Attilla the Hun, Qin Shi Huang, Mao Tse-Tung, Cleopatra, Napoleon, Montezuma, Shaka, Alexander of Macedon; these are not benevolent people! Even George Washington was a slave owner, and many see Winston Churchill as a war criminal for his mass bombings on Dresden, argued to have been done with the intention of scaring the Russians, not winning the war.