1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Aren't both Isabella of Castille and the different Montezumas pretty much always confused with one another in Civ games?

2. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I highly doubt this, there hasn't been any mention from the developers of multiple leaders for one civ

3. agentofscranton

agentofscranton Chieftain

That picture of Montezuma II is one of the first results on Google image search for Montezuma I, so if anything it solidifies the theory that they just got the wrong Isabella's picture and we do have Isabella I for Spain.

4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

There isn't a particularly lifelike portrait of Montezuma I, given that the Aztecs didn't produce that sort of art themselves, and he died long before the Spanish turned up. So they probably just went for their favourite Aztec Emperor portrait of the ones available. I certainly don't expect the Aztecs to end up with two leaders (especially not Monty II!)

5. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

We already got Barbarossa right, so it can't be that bad. :p

6. Sikandar

Sikandar Chieftain

Not Tigranes the Great?

7. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

so.. do you think they will model Isabella of Castille's appearance based on Isabella of Portugal? Unlike Monty I or II, there's enough European art / painting that illustrate them.. I think.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

But does mean that for the "mystery" portraits, we'd need to nail down not only what the image is but what the intention of the person posting it up there was. Maybe the ones people can't figure out are of a totally unrelated image that reminded the "author" of a famous leader for some reason. :D

9. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I believe the Gustavus in BNW was modeled after a different Swedish king named Gustavus

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Yes, although these are reference photos anyway, and chances are they have multiple photos to base Isabella off. So who knows.

11. Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko Chieftain

I think it was Eric XIV he was based off of, but you're definitely right that they used a different leader as inspiration for his design. I'm certain Montezuma I is just based of the painting of Montezuma II because they liked how he looked in that painting. Or they just google searched 'Montezuma' and that's the image they got.

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

The board is not a design reference. If it's not a tease for us (which is possible), it's some kind of info stand to discuss leaders and show their implementation state (as there are in-game and concept art pieces). Such board don't need accurate pics.

13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

It's worth mentioning that Civ VI's Montezuma has the jade nose and lip piercings from the portrait on the board, so they didn't throw it entirely out the window :lol:

14. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Just curious: why do you keep saying the Isabella on the board is "the wrong Isabella"? What's wrong with her?

15. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Chieftain

As far as I understood this is "Isabella of Portugal" who neither ruled Portugal nor Spain.

16. Phalanx300

Phalanx300 Chieftain

Apparantly four leaders will be released as pre-order bonus and be made freely available to all "normal" buyers after 90 days. This means 22 leaders, which means the first post does not contain any tricks and is most likely correctly portraying all leaders which will show up.

17. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

18. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Chieftain

Is there any way to distinguish Monty* I. from Monty II.?

*)Montezuma

19. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Idk, the portraits of both Montys are probably not drawn during their life time, we have no exact image of the Montys today.

20. Shalvan

Shalvan Chieftain

I'm too lazy to go through hundreds of pages, but have you considered that maybe Pericles is not a leader of "Greece" but "Hellas", which would open up a few other civilizations for that spot between Greece and Germany?