All leader portraits

Wait, how does Palmyra not fit between Kongo and Poland? Or are we assuming she'd be Syrian?

I would assume that if she were included she would either be made the leader of Syria or Aram, even though neither is quite correct, since Palmyra wasn't exactly a civilization.

I would assume that if she were included she would either be made the leader of Syria or Aram, even though neither is quite correct, since Palmyra wasn't exactly a civilization.

Not sure how you can say they weren't exactly a civilization they technically were depending how you want to define a civilization either way the franchise has included other civilizations that could be considered non civilizations like the Native Americans

The Huns didn't even meet the basic level of civilization (they didn't live in cities) and they were in, so...

So the leader of the Aztecs is revealed to be Montezuma I, not the pictured Montezuma II...
Same as Civ 5; there are no very good pictures of Montezuma I, but there are of Montezuma II due to him having been involved with the Spanish. So, the appearance of the leader, in both games, has been loosely based on Montezuma II, whilst in fact representing Montezuma I. In Civ IV, however, it was Montezuma II that was in the game, in spite of the leader having no real resemblance to any of the pictures of him. Civ 3 apparently has an unspecified Montezuma as its leader.

Yeah, I think Syria is more likely to be what they would call it. Palmyra isn't the most famous empire in history anyway, and so there is no reason they would stick to that name. Also, calling it Syria would give it more history to deal with; it would not be restricted to representing only an empire that existed for three years.

Not sure how you can say they weren't exactly a civilization they technically were depending how you want to define a civilization either way the franchise has included other civilizations that could be considered non civilizations like the Native Americans

I'm saying that Palmyra was a city in Syria. Yes, when Zenobia revolted from the Roman Empire, it was briefly called the Palmyrene Empire, but it makes far more sense to refer to her civilization as Syria. It's not only the name of the modern country; it was also the name of the Roman province she ruled before she rebelled.

Palmyra is a cooler name though, and "Palmyrene" also. :p

Referring to them as "Syria" is silly since "Assyria" was not referred to as Syria. Accordingly, the Palmyrene Empire shouldn't be referred to as the Syrian Empire.

Palmyra is a cooler name though, and "Palmyrene" also. :p

Referring to them as "Syria" is silly since "Assyria" was not referred to as Syria. Accordingly, the Palmyrene Empire shouldn't be referred to as the Syrian Empire.

What on Earth does Assyria have to do with this discussion? The Assyrians were (and, generally speaking, are) from modern day northern Iraq/southern Iran. :confused: By contrast, the Roman province of Syria contained modern day Lebanon, Israel, western Jordan, and western Syria--the latter two being the region classically known as Aram, from whence Aramaic comes. Zenobia was not Assyrian; she was Aramean or Syrian. Yes, Zenobia annexed some additional territory in Egypt and Asia Minor, but I still suspect they'd refer to her civilization as Syria.

What on Earth does Assyria have to do with this discussion? The Assyrians were (and, generally speaking, are) from modern day northern Iraq/southern Iran. :confused: By contrast, the Roman province of Syria contained modern day Lebanon, Israel, western Jordan, and western Syria--the latter two being the region classically known as Aram, from whence Aramaic comes. Zenobia was not Assyrian; she was Aramean or Syrian. Yes, Zenobia annexed some additional territory in Egypt and Asia Minor, but I still suspect they'd refer to her civilization as Syria.

Exactly! So many people around the Internet seem to confuse Syrians and Assyrians. Assyrians today (at least before ISIS showed up) live in the highest concentration in the Nineveh plains region of Iraq (which could become a region of an independent Kurdistan, which is seeming increasingly likely with the weak hold of the Iraqi government).

The Huns didn't even meet the basic level of civilization (they didn't live in cities) and they were in, so...

civilization
[siv-uh-luh-zey-shuh n]

Examples
Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
those people or nations that have reached such a state.
any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group:
Greek civilization.

the act or process of civilizing, as by bringing out of a savage, uneducated, or unrefined state, or of being civilized :
Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.
cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation:
The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.
cities or populated areas in general, as opposed to unpopulated or wilderness areas:
The plane crashed in the jungle, hundreds of miles from civilization.
modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology:
After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/civilization

Depends on how you define civilization. I think that there have been nomadic civilizations that haven't had cities. The designers of Civ games seem to agree. :)

What on Earth does Assyria have to do with this discussion?

TBH what does any of this have to do with any discussion. Although it's an interesting conversation, this thread has gone like dangerously off the rails. The only thing it's really doing at this point is racking up the post count which makes people come here and be depressed that there's no answer to the OP as of yet :crazyeye:.

TBH what does any of this have to do with any discussion. Although it's an interesting conversation, this thread has gone like dangerously off the rails. The only thing it's really doing at this point is racking up the post count which makes people come here and be depressed that there's no answer to the OP as of yet :crazyeye:.
face it guys, we're worse than Hollywood, we took half-a-second of a video and analyzed a bunch of blurry images turning it into a 119 page thread, thats really making something from nothing :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:.

like making 100 pages of a book into a 3-hour movie.

Spoiler :
http://www.mixdecultura.ro/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/dromichaetes.jpg

Dromichaetes, The Civ is Getae B5 probably clutching at straws here but I have to post something after spending 2 hours searching :lol:.
P.S never posted an image before so if something doesn't work tell me.

face it guys, we're worse than Hollywood, we took half-a-second of a video and analyzed a bunch of blurry images turning it into a 119 page thread, thats really making something from nothing :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:.

like making 100 pages of a book into a 3-hour movie.

So far all guesses have been right so not really

Exactly! So many people around the Internet seem to confuse Syrians and Assyrians. Assyrians today (at least before ISIS showed up) live in the highest concentration in the Nineveh plains region of Iraq (which could become a region of an independent Kurdistan, which is seeming increasingly likely with the weak hold of the Iraqi government).

You realize the name "Syria" derives from "Assyria" right? That is why people "confuse" the two.

More importantly, if the "Syria" Civ based on Palmyra (that you suggest) came to be, they would have to decide between using ancient or modern city names. Will the capital be called Palmyra or Damascus? If they did use Damascus, that would conflict with the Arabian Civ as led by Saladin, who had Damascus as a city in Civ IV (it played an important part in the Crusades due to its famous steel).

A Palmyran Civ with capital city Palmyra and a leader speaking Aramaic (though Greek was the actual language Zenobia used in diplomacy) is best fitting.

If the developers ever go for Palmyra that is (which they should).

Palmyra or Tadmur looks more like a perfect candidate for a mercantile or militaristic city state.

And yes, this thread is going in circles, just recently I thought again about Granada for inbetween Germany and Greece. They would after all want to avoid "the Moors", but another Iberian civ seems unlikely as well - and you know the arguments, they should be here somewhere in between page 50 and 78 ;)

I don't know if this is relevant or if it has already been pointed out but I found something in one of the first look on art :
Spoiler :

It looks like Sweden's color scheme and it could mean that E1 is a swedish leader and not Phillip II of Spain

I don't know if this is relevant or if it has already been pointed out but I found something in one of the first look on art :

Spoiler :

It looks like Sweden's color scheme and it could mean that E1 is a swedish leader and not Phillip II of Spain
that would be cool, but it might be France, though it would be weird to use colors so Swedish.

So far all guesses have been right so not really

Especially Tamar of Georgia.
some have been right, mostly Tamar of Georgia, but if all guesses were right this page would be finished by now.

Top Bottom